Total Knee Replacement

Options
So in 4 days I will be have a total knee replacement. I just wanted to hear other people thoughts on how to maintain my weight while recovering or if you have been thru this kind of surgery what and how did you maintain??

Replies

• deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had both knees replaced in 2014. You don't have to worry about not exercising, you are up and walking same day, or day after if your surgery is late in the day! My first time up I walked 150 ct, with the next one I walked 250 ft same day and was discharged home the next day. You start PT the same week. Tips: take your son meds, you'll need them, and KEEP WALKING! I set up a 100 foot path through my house with no rugs in the way, and would walk it ten times 3-5 times a day when not using the constant motion machine. I faithfully did all the exercises PT gave me. I had full range of motion back in my left knee in 4 weeks, and my right in 6. Now a year later I walk about 4 miles a day.Having the surgery was the best thing I ever did. Even though I was overweight at the time (and still am) rehab was the key, and I did not put on weight through recovery. Add me if you'd like, I'll keep you company along the way.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. Would like to hear how the surgery goes and help keep you motivated. I am facing the same thing but trying everything available first! Have been in rehab for a cpl months from a knee surgery in May. Keep mentally strong! For me that has been the hardest! Best of luck to you!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had both a left tkr and thr in the same week last December. Now I'm scheduled to have my right hip replaced in October.
    I did gain weight because I didn't continue to watch my calories. And I'm so sorry that I didn't!
    Your body needs more energy to heal. So this time I am going to eat at maintenance, get most of my calories from protein and follow the physical therapy plan religiously.
    If I may suggest....Google the TKR exercises and practice them now. Make your daily exercise plan now. So when you get home you'll be ready to get it done!
    You will need pain meds to exercise adequately. Without them you won't be able to exercise as you must....and you must push yourself to recover.
    I wish you a successful surgery and a strong recovery.
    Please feel free to friend me if I can help in any way!
    Laura
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    deescrafty wrote: »
    I had both knees replaced in 2014. You don't have to worry about not exercising, you are up and walking same day, or day after if your surgery is late in the day! My first time up I walked 150 ct, with the next one I walked 250 ft same day and was discharged home the next day. You start PT the same week. Tips: take your son meds, you'll need them, and KEEP WALKING! I set up a 100 foot path through my house with no rugs in the way, and would walk it ten times 3-5 times a day when not using the constant motion machine. I faithfully did all the exercises PT gave me. I had full range of motion back in my left knee in 4 weeks, and my right in 6. Now a year later I walk about 4 miles a day.Having the surgery was the best thing I ever did. Even though I was overweight at the time (and still am) rehab was the key, and I did not put on weight through recovery. Add me if you'd like, I'll keep you company along the way.

Great job!! Oh how I wish I had watched my weight! Enjoy your long painless walks! :)
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has answered. & thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to getting this done so I can be pain free and start to workout again & run around with my little ones. Tomorrow is the day so I will keep in touch with all of you to let you know how things are going.
  • deescrafty
    Options
    I know you'll come through just fine. Good luck and please keep us posted. We're pulling for you!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone I am finally home. They keep me an extra day to make sure I didn't have an PE I'm my lung but that test came back negative. God Is So Great. I wanted to thank you for the support and well wishes it carried me thru this surgery. Now it's time to get my recovery going.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »
    Ok everyone I am finally home. They keep me an extra day to make sure I didn't have an PE I'm my lung but that test came back negative. God Is So Great. I wanted to thank you for the support and well wishes it carried me thru this surgery. Now it's time to get my recovery going.

Wishing you a full recovery. <3
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great news! Keep working at it and keep us posted on how things are going!
  • Marlan528
    Marlan528 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had both knees replace in 2012 6 months apart. I lost weight, nearing 30 pounds if I recall correctly. I had a loss of appetite. I spent 3 nights with each as I had some other minor issues arise that they wanted to keep an eye on. Oh and I also had my gall bladder out in between my knee surgeries. Now I have recovered most of the weight back and then some I still needed to lose before surgery.
    I'm on the lookout of some exercises that I can do that are not too much for my new knees. I would love to be able to do the ellptical but it does not feel good on the knees for me when trying. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Best wishes on your recovery tiggerlover. Not to scare you but it was the most painful recovery I ever went through but well worth it. Just keep leg elevated and icing to help with swelling.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »

Glad fo hear your home and all is well! Let the work begin! You got this!

@Marlan528 can you ride a bike? Stationary or otherwise? That is what my PT/Dr recommended for me and I am loving it!
  • Marlan528
    Options
    @shangates92 I could ride but I have a problem with getting sores on my rear (blush) from skin friction. So I have tended to stay away from that as just 10 mins on the bike will do it for me. I only used at PT once as I had it happen there so I mainly used the recumbent stepper for warm up. After released I tried riding a bike again at the health club and ended with the same experience. So treadmill it is and I need to get back to the weight machines.
    I do love floor exercises but getting off the floor is painful even with being on a padded surface.
  • deescrafty
    Options
    Good to hear it went well. Now get moving, you can do this!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Marlan528 wrote: »
    @shangates92 I could ride but I have a problem with getting sores on my rear (blush) from skin friction. So I have tended to stay away from that as just 10 mins on the bike will do it for me. I only used at PT once as I had it happen there so I mainly used the recumbent stepper for warm up. After released I tried riding a bike again at the health club and ended with the same experience. So treadmill it is and I need to get back to the weight machines.
    I do love floor exercises but getting off the floor is painful even with being on a padded surface.

Perhaps, to help with getting off the floor, strengthen your abs and gluts.
    Or for now, work only on upper body. You will still be increasing muscle mass and helping yourself to feel stronger.
  • Marlan528
    Options
    RodaRose, I have been working with resistance bands for now. With my job I did heavy lifting. I know that is not the same as strength training but it's a start. I use my balance ball to strengthen my abs. I plan on adding more as I can. thanks for the suggestions.