Good vitamins and herbal supplements?

Options
Ive been supplementing with vitamins (b complex, potassium, fish oil, e, biotin, calcium, and iron separately at night) but I'm wondering what other herbal supplements are good. A friend told me that Ashwagandha is really good if you have hypothyroid. What are some other good ones to take and what do they do?

Replies

• Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do fish oil, vitamin c, vitamin D, and biotin because I have alopecia. I take zinc on occasion as well. B vitamins are good. Be careful with iron. I was supplementing with iron because I was anemic, then I had TOO much iron. I think it's also easy to take too much potassium. The supps I take were recommended by a doctor so I highly suggest you consult with a doctor for yours as well (if you haven't).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It seems you're going about this backwards by looking for a supplement without first identifying a need for something in addition to your diet. Do you have any vitamin deficiencies that you cannot address through your diet?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Do you have an identified medical deficiency? If not, skip all of that stuff.
  • Frenchers11
    Frenchers11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to have some blood tests done to check what are the vitamins and such you're lacking, see how you can boost those intakes with food, then get the supplements. Otherwise, you'll just end up having some very expensive bright yellow wee because your body will get rid of all the extra stuff you don't need
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is supposed to work this way: first find what you are deficient in (if anything) then experiment with different supplements. I could give you the name of the absolutely best iron supplements, for example, but unless your iron is low, how will this help you?
  • CoJak0810
    CoJak0810 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I do not think it is supposed to work this way: first find what you are deficient in (if anything) then experiment with different supplements. I could give you the name of the absolutely best iron supplements, for example, but unless your iron is low, how will this help you?
    My doctor did a blood test and I am anemic with hypothyroid so they told me to take an iron supplement. I asked if I could take vitamins and they said yes but I didn't ask which ones. I'm taking 99mg of potassium too and that isn't giving me my potassium along with eating healthy according to this app.
  • BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor give you a full bloodwork done for vitamin levels, so you can accurately supplement if you need to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't have regular check-ups and live in a place where it's possible to get them, get one. If you're deficient, the doctor will tell you and he'll tell you what to take, too.

I take a boatload of pills every day, many of them supplements. I wish I didn't have to. It's a pain in the butt.

If you don't have to take pills, be glad.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    CoJak0810 wrote: »
    My doctor did a blood test and I am anemic with hypothyroid so they told me to take an iron supplement. I asked if I could take vitamins and they said yes but I didn't ask which ones. I'm taking 99mg of potassium too and that isn't giving me my potassium along with eating healthy according to this app.

Talk to your endocrinologist. Do not experiment. This needs further testing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    CoJak0810 wrote: »

Heads up on the potassium: It's not a required nutrient on nutrition labels, so supplements may often be the only source being recorded in your diary. That doesn't mean you didn't take in more than that.