Am I eating too much???

Options
nananie2
nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
I use almost all the calories that I'm allowed to eat, even those I gain from exercise. I thought it was all good... but I've noticed lately in other people's diary that they often have 300-400 calories left... sometimes more.

Is there something I got wrong? Am I allowed to eat the calories I gain from exercise??

I guess I'm doing something right, because I lost 22 pounds so far, but the scale doesn't move much lately...

What do you think?

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you are eating.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    You're following the theory of MFP to a tee by eating back all of your exercise calories. Some people don't agree with the approach which is why you probably see them with calories left at the end of the day - that or they just weren't hungry. I've just gone from weight loss mode (1200 per day plus exercise calories) to maintenance mode (1580 per day plus exercise calories) and at the moment I sometimes have leftover calories as I'm in the process of getting use to the higher intake.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back.
    I'm always close to - if not over - my calories for the day.

I've lost 5lbs in one month.

Do what works for you and don't worry about what is working for someone else. :) Our bodies all like and dislike different things - weight loss isn't a one size fits all journey. If what you're doing works - keep it up! :)
  • DTRTinAZ
    DTRTinAZ Posts: 29
    Options
    I am no expert, but I think you are okay to eat calories back...try to keep it clean and low sodium tho. As far as the scale not moving, try changing up your work out by incorporating weight training everyother day and cardio the next. Really push yourself on the weight training...your muscles should feel like a wet noodle afterwards. From all the articles I have read, weight training burns more calories over time than that of calories burned doing cardio. You have had great progess, don't get discouraged. It is often the last part of the weight that is stubborn and wants to hold on. Just keep doing the right things and you will reach your goal. Good luck and hope this helps.

BTW...I usually don't eat my calories back...not on purpose tho. Today is the closest I got...and I am kind of forcing myself to eat a slice of wheat bread for dinner ( I know, not much). I know that if I don't eat...my energy will pay the cost on my weight training days.
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Eat the calories back if you are hungry, if you aren't hungry then don't. It is good to eat them back but not if you aren't hungry.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    Keep on what you are doing. The key to long lasting fat loss is a MODERATE calorie deficit. That deficit is worked into your allotted calories on MFP when you set up your goals. Adding to it by substantially eating below it, or exercising a lot and not eating those calories will hinder you in the long run. The sheer number of posts here when people who do just that, eating several hundred or more below their allowed calories and then plateau after doing that for a prolonged time is legion.

As to trusting your hunger, wasn't our screwed up sense of being hungry or full at least one of the reasons, if not the main reason most of us are here trying to lose weight. I can't say it as good as this post, but you and I cannot trust our sense of hunger. Maybe eventually we will learn how to properly interpret our full and hungry signals, but if you are here to lose weigh, doing that now is not wise. Here is an excellent post on that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

What you are doing now is what you are intended to do with MFP. Stick with it if it is working and as you lose weight remember that you should reduce your per week weight loss goal and you will likely avoid a lot of the plateau problems many he have.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Keep on what you are doing. The key to long lasting fat loss is a MODERATE calorie deficit. That deficit is worked into your allotted calories on MFP when you set up your goals. Adding to it by substantially eating below it, or exercising a lot and not eating those calories will hinder you in the long run. The sheer number of posts here when people who do just that, eating several hundred or more below their allowed calories and then plateau after doing that for a prolonged time is legion.

As to trusting your hunger, wasn't our screwed up sense of being hungry or full at least one of the reasons, if not the main reason most of us are here trying to lose weight. I can't say it as good as this post, but you and I cannot trust our sense of hunger. Maybe eventually we will learn how to properly interpret our full and hungry signals, but if you are here to lose weigh, doing that now is not wise. Here is an excellent post on that: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

What you are doing now is what you are intended to do with MFP. Stick with it if it is working and as you lose weight remember that you should reduce your per week weight loss goal and you will likely avoid a lot of the plateau problems many he have.

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting post. It's reassuring to me, because I know I can't rely solely on the signals my brain is sending me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    You are welcome. Keep up the good work.
  • chris5432
    chris5432 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i totally agree with everything DTRTinAZ said:wink: