How to choose your lifestyle setting?

Options
So I have recently been reading a lot of different articles on weight loss and my question is how do you know of you are sedentary or lightly active because me, personally I an a nanny to a school aged kid so i get him up and all that stuff but once he leaves i usually am just watching tv and laying around. But, i also do Insanity 6 days a week and jogg 3miles everyday too (thats all the active i do in a day for the most part). I am just trying to figure it out because i want to continue to lose weight

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're very active (in my opinion) if you jog 3 miles a day and do Insanity 6 days a week.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Pick whatever seems best to you and then track your results and adjust as needed. Lifestyle shouldn't include exercise you would log.

So, I'm a 8-5 software engineer. Sometimes I work in the lab and walk around, but most days I sit at my desk. After work I typically go home, do some stuff and then watch TV. Not very active outside of exercise (lifting, ultimate frisbee, and walking outside) So, I picked sedentary and logged my exercise. I lost ~0.3lb/week more than planned over a 6-week period, so I upped my lifestyle to lightly active and I am now losing at my planned rate and enjoying more food.

If you have a small deficit (i.e. 0.5lb/week), then choose sedentary and see how it goes. Otherwise, pick either and see how it goes. The worst that happens is you lose weight, but not at the planned rate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,128 Member
    Options
    ChrissyM93 wrote: »
    So I have recently been reading a lot of different articles on weight loss and my question is how do you know of you are sedentary or lightly active because me, personally I an a nanny to a school aged kid so i get him up and all that stuff but once he leaves i usually am just watching tv and laying around. But, i also do Insanity 6 days a week and jogg 3miles everyday too (thats all the active i do in a day for the most part). I am just trying to figure it out because i want to continue to lose weight

You're sedentary.

But then, once you've set yourself as sedentary, add your exercise when you do it.

Keep that setting for a month or two, and see how your weight loss is going. If you're losing too quickly, you might want to up yourself to lightly active. If you're happy with your weight loss, keep it as it is.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're very active (in my opinion) if you jog 3 miles a day and do Insanity 6 days a week.

Based on the MFP method, those should be logged as exercise and shouldn't impact activity level.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Based on the MFP method, those should be logged as exercise and shouldn't impact activity level.

Ah I see! Thanks :)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes, sedentary and then add in exercise. -- Also, I love how you (the OP) say "that's all the activity I do..." about jogging 3 miles every day. "That's all" as if it's not much. lol. Sounds like a lot to me, good job! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sedentary.