TOM - Really!!

Options
Been doing MFP for 3 weeks... Just got down to 156 yesterday from 158.8. Not much but something. THEN, I get on this morning and over .2 from where I even started!!!! 3 lbs just because of that time of month???? I know I shouldn't have weighed myself, but was being true to diet knowing this was going to come. I guess no question here, just frustrated.
Sorry gentlemen.

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It sucks. I gain about 5 pounds every time... My motivation is avoiding my cravings at that time and then I get a double loss at the end. Water-weight AND actual weight loss. B)
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. So true. Ride it out. You KNOW you didn't eat an extra 11,000 calories yesterday so you KNOW that the weight is just water and is temporary :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's fine that you weighed yourself. Keep weighing yourself every week, even during your period. At least then you'll know what to expect at that time.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sucks but on the bright side, it's just noise and it'll go away! It's just trying to psyche you out. Mine goes up as much as 5 pounds.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Your weight may fluctuate right around your period and around ovulation.

No need to apologize to the men of the forum for your normal biological processes.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This happens to me each month. Even though my diet and exercise don't change, I'll gain several pounds and my stomach will be very bloated right before and during my TOM. However, right after, it goes back to normal. Just last week I "gained" 4.6 pounds and kept it on for days. All of a sudden I got a "woosh" of weight off and woke up down 0.7lbs from where I was before my TOM. It is stressful, but maybe try not to weigh yourself during that time if you fluctuate.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Been doing MFP for 3 weeks... Just got down to 156 yesterday from 158.8. Not much but something. THEN, I get on this morning and over .2 from where I even started!!!! 3 lbs just because of that time of month???? I know I shouldn't have weighed myself, but was being true to diet knowing this was going to come. I guess no question here, just frustrated.
    Sorry gentlemen.

I usually go up 3-5lbs during TOM. In fact, one time my TOM hit me right after completing a super-long hike, and between the two, I gained about 10lbs. It took 7-10 days to shed.

Water weight is a *kitten*.
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.... I really hope it swooshes off!!! Very discouraging after 3 weeks of logging and then bam!
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. It's no fun for sure. I'm dealing with it now too. Damn PMS has me feeling like I've gained a ton but I know it's all just water...it'll fall off when it's over.
  • stephaniemarie2
    stephaniemarie2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think if I had more of weightloss before this hit me, I would be in a better place. Lost 2.8, gain 3. Will have to give til end of week. Patience is not something I am good at.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think if I had more of weightloss before this hit me, I would be in a better place. Lost 2.8, gain 3. Will have to give til end of week. Patience is not something I am good at.

Patience is the #2 most important factor in weight loss, in my opinion. (Caloric deficit being the #1 thing.)
  • aim630
    aim630 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I gained 2 lbs today, and I know it is because TOM. It's frustrating, but this happens every month, so at least I know to expect it.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens every time! And it's frustrating every time. I've gone up 8 pounds literally overnight before. Not fun. I am dealing with this today too. My big challenge is to avoid the "woe is me, I'm doomed, so I'm gonna eat all the things" mentality. Hang in there, and stay on your plan!