my treamill says a different amount of calories?

Options
So I did 45 minutes of a slow jog fast walk on my treamill. My treamill reads 411 calories and this website says 264. Which to I go by?

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Choose the lower amount, it's safer. Exercise machines are known for over estimating calories burned. A heart rate monitor is much more accurate.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    how many miles?
  • FrosJennBug
    Options
    If this website goes by your weight to calculate calories burned, I would use the website amount. If your exercise machine uses your weight, use the machine's amount. If they both use your weight, I would still choose the website's calculations based on the fact that this site uses your gender and age in addition to weight.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Choose the lower amount, it's safer. Exercise machines are known for over estimating calories burned. A heart rate monitor is much more accurate.

I agree; you wouldn't want to overestimate...especially if you eat your exercise calories.
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My elliptical has a heart rate monitor but I have to hold the middle bars and not use the back and forth handles. Is that the same thing as the Heart Rate Monitor you referred to? If not, can you give more info/details on what it does? Thanks so much!
  • ginagn73
    ginagn73 Posts: 89
    Options
    how many miles?
    3 miles