What is your Macro breakdown

Options
Hey im just trying to get some good feedback and perhaps you can tell how you approach counting your macros... mine are 210 gprotine....115g fat....and 470 g carbs..... I'm 196 lbs at 9% body fat....... seems like a good breakdown for me

Replies

• RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That looks pretty good to me. Mine is similar except higher carbs.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing everyone taking about macros and have no idea what that means?
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients= fats, carbs, proteins
    Micronutrients= vitamins & minerals
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey im just trying to get some good feedback and perhaps you can tell how you approach counting your macros... mine are 210 gprotine....115g fat....and 470 g carbs..... I'm 196 lbs at 9% body fat....... seems like a good breakdown for me

You don't need that much protein.. although, its not extremely high. Based on your stats, 178g is perfectly fine as it allows you to achieve 1g per lb of lean body mass. But if it's working for you, keep at it.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Macros and calorie goals will be different for everyone. It depends on their goals (weight loss, maintenance, or gain) as well as their stats, activity level, current bodyfat %, etc.

Protein
    0.60-0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight (the highest amount justified by research for active individuals). The sedentary population doesn't need this much.

Nevertheless, that gives a 196 lb. active person a workable range of approx. 118-161 grams protein per day. Consuming more than this is not doing anything for new muscle synthesis. You'd be better off filling the remainder of your calories with a mix of whole food carbs, for nutritional variety, and dietary fats, especially for the extra calories if bulking.

Dietary Fat
    0.40-0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation (unless obese).

That gives a 196 lb. person a minimum target of approx. 78 grams dietary fat per day. If maintaining or bulking, adding more fat to your diet is wise. Dietary fat carries the highest caloric load of all macronutrients (by more than double). So it is a no brainer to increase your dietary fat intake to aid with bulking. I would shoot for a 0.70-0.80 g/lb. range, which would put a 196 lb. person with bulking goals like yours at approx. 137-157 grams fat per day.

Remaining caloric budget
    Whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer, notably a rich variety of nutritious fruits, vegetables, high fiber foods, and healthy fats.
  • JazziJeff88
    JazziJeff88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Basically it's. Fancy word for carbs, protein and fats.

You ballance them to make sure each ones baily requirements are met in order to keep your body in a pemium state for muscle gains.. otherwise you will probly just get fat

Basically u want to keep 1g of protein per body fat. ...arround 0.5 fat and then whatever calories you have left over go to carbs ..
    This app dose all the math for you just make sure you don't go to far over on one or the other 3 macros.... the other smaller micro nutrients like sodium and *kitten* I don't really worry about while bulking
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • rhillhousetb23
    rhillhousetb23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm at 219 protein, 250 carbs, and 69 fat. I weigh around 180 but for some reason have a hard time stripping fat I estimate my bf% 19-20. I workout 6 days a week, might be time to re-evaluate my macros?
  • JazziJeff88
    JazziJeff88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That may be to much protine... unless your a hard gainer ectomorph....there's no reason to go more then 1 g ber body weight... u sound like a Mezmoeph .... u.. probly have little trubbles putting on good muscle gains ? That what I am.. a Mezmoeph as well... when was about 185 Ibs think my macros where Pro. 190g carbs 230g and fats 65g.. for cutting... it seemed to work well I got to about 8% bf
  • rhillhousetb23
    Options
    How big of a calorie deficit were you in while cutting? I actually lost 60 lbs by eating less calories and not tracking macros but my body comp was crap. I was skinny fat at this point. Since I've been tracking macros and hitting the gym hard my body fat is still about the same but I can see a big difference in muscle mass, and strength gains .
  • psuLemon
    Options
    That may be to much protine... unless your a hard gainer ectomorph....there's no reason to go more then 1 g ber body weight... u sound like a Mezmoeph .... u.. probly have little trubbles putting on good muscle gains ? That what I am.. a Mezmoeph as well... when was about 185 Ibs think my macros where Pro. 190g carbs 230g and fats 65g.. for cutting... it seemed to work well I got to about 8% bf

Somatotypes are debunked. If someone is struggling to lose weight its probably either tracking errors or inaccurate logging practices (if they are counting). If someone is struggling to gain, they arent eating enough.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Somatotypes are debunked. If someone is struggling to lose weight its probably either tracking errors or inaccurate logging practices (if they are counting). If someone is struggling to gain, they arent eating enough.

@psulemon I was waiting for you to respond to this and you didn't disappoint:) You are right though. I always thought I was struggling to gain when in fact I just wasn't eating enough.
  • rhillhousetb23
    edited September 2015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

I don't struggle to gain or lose "weight" it's composition im having trouble with as I stay the same bodyfat% give or take like 1% .
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

I don't struggle to gain or lose "weight" it's composition im having trouble with as I stay the same bodyfat% give or take like 1% .

How long have you been at recomposition for? Do you do much cardio? I've just switched over to recomp, plan on getting my running back up to 10k and hopefully this will help reduce some of the body fat that was built up during the bulk.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

Do you use a food scale?

• rhillhousetb23
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote:

How long have you been at recomposition for? Do you do much cardio? I've just switched over to recomp, plan on getting my running back up to 10k and hopefully this will help reduce some of the body fat that was built up during the bulk.

I've been "bulking" so to speak for about 3 months now. I usually do 20 min of cardio 3 times a week after weight training. I train 6 days a week though. I figured in my mind that I lost most of my muscle mass when I lost the 60 lbs so I've been building it back up so that next time I cut maybe I can get a lower bodyfat%
  • rhillhousetb23
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

Do you use a food scale?

Yes I use a food scale
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

Do you use a food scale?

Yes I use a food scale

Male or female? Because if you are a guy, you should not be bulking at 20% bf. That is rather high and your body will be more primed to gain more fat. Generally you dont want to bulk unless you are sub 15%.. lower being better.
  • rhillhousetb23
    edited September 2015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:
    Male or female? Because if you are a guy, you should not be bulking at 20% bf. That is rather high and your body will be more primed to gain more fat. Generally you dont want to bulk unless you are sub 15%.. lower being better.

I'm a guy, so you are saying not to bulk? When I started losing weight I was around 22%, 60 lbs later I was at 20%. Granted , this is off the bio impedence body fat calculator on my scale, same time, every morning. So what do you suggest? A crap ton of cardio and a decent defeceit? What macros? I was thinking of a circuit training approach as far as cardio the next time I cut.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a guy, so you are saying not to bulk? When I started losing weight I was around 22%, 60 lbs later I was at 20%. Granted , this is off the bio impedence body fat calculator on my scale, same time, every morning. So what do you suggest? A crap ton of cardio and a decent defeceit? What macros? I was thinking of a circuit training approach as far as cardio the next time I cut.

Weight lifting. Full body routine.

Check out "all pro" on bodybuilding.com, in the workout programs forum.

You can do that routine on a cut or at maintenance.

When you progress, look into an advanced hypertrophy split routine and start bulking.

Cardio is for the birds. Nothing wrong with 1-3 miles fast past if you can fit it in here and there (heart health is never a bad thing) but weight lifting should be your prime focus, given your goals. If you enjoy a super elevated heart rate, lift weights faster (with good form of course).