When is the most accurate time to weigh yourself??

Options
Should you take your weight at a certain time everyday? Like for the past few days I've been taking my weight before breakfast to get what seems like it should be most accurate to me. Also, do you take your weight fully clothed or in your 'birthday suit'?? Or does this even matter so long as you're consistent??

Replies

• kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning, naked, after peeing.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Early morning. Before you eat. After you use the restroom. Naked, or with as few clothes as possible. Also. I would pick one day a week and weigh yourself on that day. Weighing yourself everyday is frustrating and there will be too many fluctuations.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options

Ditto. But with just my boxers on. (5yr old girl running around)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

same here!
  • GGMarie1501
    Options
    Thanks for replying! That's what I did this morning and it said 199. I'm out of the 200 zone and I was hoping I would see it but still shocked and couldn't help but get sooo excited and do a little dance. lol :)
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning, after I go potty, and always in my birthday suit. :smile:
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning, after going to the bathroom, bare assed naked and before I eat or drink anything. I try to stick to weighing ONLY ONCE a weel because of fluctuations which can be frustrating. Also remember that the weight that you are at home will be less than at the Doc's office if you are doing it naked at home etc...

I usually weight about 3-5 pounds more at the Doctor's office than I do at home.
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    same time on the same day of the week naked or at least with the same clothes on every week
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your weight is your weight - I think you're wondering when to weigh to see the most accurate picture of your weight loss. I agree with the above - first thing in the morning is most consistent. I find at night, it can fluctuate depending on whether I have had a big meal, worked out or not, etc. But am fairly consistent in the morning.

I also agree with only weighing yourself once a week. Daily has way too many fluctuations (even if just at a minimum based on whether you've pooped or not), and you can become discouraged. I like Sunday, but I know everyone picks a different day!

Brandy
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning, after going to the bathroom, bare assed naked and before I eat or drink anything. I try to stick to weighing ONLY ONCE a weel because of fluctuations which can be frustrating. Also remember that the weight that you are at home will be less than at the Doc's office if you are doing it naked at home etc...

I usually weight about 3-5 pounds more at the Doctor's office than I do at home.

Absolutely agree to all!
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    First thing in the morning, in birthday suit after going the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything. Although as a rule, i think it is self defeating to weigh every day- I only weigh once a week on Friday morning.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was told the most accurate way to weigh in is to do it every morning, after your first urination/bowel movement, and in your birthday suit.

I weigh in each morning after using the washroom, in a tank top and light shorts. Not necessarily at the same time each morning, but always first thing when I wake up. Weighing yourself throughout the day (sometimes I do just to see!) is not accurate as your weight can fluctuate a few pounds throughout the day. Morning is always best.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to be consistent. The time of day, what you wear (or don't wear), bathroom 1st or not, should all be the same each time.
  • nanakay007
    nanakay007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am like everyone else and weigh in the morning after peeing...... however that is so that I get the lowest weight possible. Really as long as you weigh at the same time everyday it doesn't matter, it will show accurate loss. And while I too weigh with as few clothes as possible on..... you are never going to go to the gym or doctors and strip naked to weigh in LOL

I do agree with only weighing once a week..... although i don't stick to that very often.... it is frustrating to see the daily fluctuations!

good luck
  • jill5280
    jill5280 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! That's what I did this morning and it said 199. I'm out of the 200 zone and I was hoping I would see it but still shocked and couldn't help but get sooo excited and do a little dance. lol :)

This just happened for me today as well (199.) I weigh as the others do, in the morning. I think it is most important that you do whatever you do consistently considering time of day and clothing worn.

We should friend up for the rest of our journey!
  • scubadan
    scubadan Posts: 1
    Options
    Like most of you I also weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything and before I exercise. Unlike most everyone else, I weigh and record my weight on a daily basis. This probably doesn't fit everyone's personality but it does fit mine. The daily fluctuations don't bother me. I know they're going to happen and it gives me quick feedback if I've cheated a bit. More than daily swings, I look for weekly trends. How does this Monday compare to last Monday and so on. Wednesday is my "official" weigh in date to record my weight for tracking purposes. I tend to cheat more on weekends and eat properly during the week and I can see this fluctuation because I weigh daily. Wednesday just seems to be the day that fit between the two extremes.

Also, if you have a scale that measures body fat it is my understanding this will be more accurate if you weigh later in the day when you are hydrated. If you're tracking body fat on a regular basis you're probably more interested in the direction it is moving so it might not matter but my body fat can measure 3-4% lower in the evening than in the morning.
  • kklindsey
    Options
    lol, i have a 12 year old but I shut the door and he is old enough to knock.:smile:
  • kklindsey
    Options
    i have been doing this for over 6 years and I weigh daily. You have to keep in mind that tons of things can affect your weight from day to day but if you weigh every day and the scale is consistently moving up every day and you know you have not been eating right than it can be a powerful motivator to get it under control. If you have been doing everything right and the scale moves up it can be valuable information as to what affects your weight, i.e., did you have very salty foods, did you eat late at night, etc. doesnt' really matter but makes you more in tune with your body and keeps you aware.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, this!! I have a family member that is chronically ill and has to weigh every day for medical reasons and this is how he was told to do it. In the morning, before eating anything, after urination, buck naked.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That's my problem!!! My pj's must weigh like 20lbs!!!
    I'm glad to know that most of you weigh yourself once a week at the same time like I do. I think if I weighed in more than once a week, my scale would have been thrown out by now!
    Congrats on crushing that 200 number - go on with your happy dance! :happy: