Wish I would have done this LONG ago!

Options
...but life is a journey, right?

Hello! I'm Shannon. I wanted to say hello and start communicating with what seems like a fantastic group of people.

I have read for years the advice to keep a food journal. It's one of the most consistent pieces of advice that I've seen. But, I've never done it. I thought it would be too much of a hassle, with very little payoff. I was wrong. Logging in the food I've eaten, and seeing those calories add up changes EVERYTHING about how I see food. It's fuel, my body needs it to function correctly. If I eat too much of it, or too little of it, my body won't work right. It's not love, it's not security. It's just food. The other thing that keeping track of the calories has done is let me off the hook and stop restricting myself to not eat certain foods. I can eat whatever I want. I just have to log it in. If the calories get too high, I have to watch what else I eat for the day.

I just feel like shouting a giant "DUH!!!!" at myself.

So. I have a long term goal of being 100 pounds lighter than my highest weight of 262 pounds, which I hit in 2008. Since then, I lost about 60 on the South Beach Diet. Still a good diet, no question, and I will follow a lot of the principles of this diet forever--whole grains, lots of veggies, lean meats, really watch the sugar. I feel better when I eat this way. But, I let the draw of "eat all the nuts and cheese and steak you want!" get out of hand and I put almost half of that 60 back on.

Using My Fitness Pal has helped me take off some weight and I'm thrilled. But I am more thrilled about how I feel. HUGE lightbulb-y "aha" moments are happening. And it feels great.

So... HELLO!

-Shannon

Replies

• ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Hi, Shannon and welcome! I've only been here about a week, but should have found this a lot sooner. I know counting calories works, as I've done it off and on for years!! I found that my "activity level" setting was too high, so I'm on sedentary now and I think the amount of calories is better for me - 1200 as opposed to 1440. Take care and good luck on your journey.
  • jwhwmwcw
    jwhwmwcw Posts: 5
    Options
    would love to be your friend, I had lost 20 while just walking 3 years ago, but it all came back on slowly when I wasn't looking. (and wasn't walking anymore) I want to lose it again, and then some and keep it off this time. We can make th journey together. (why is it so much harder this time?)
  • ShanRaeC
    ShanRaeC Posts: 37
    Options
    jwhwmwcw - I would love to have a partner on my journey! It's east to get discouraged when numbers go back UP on that darn scale. But, I try (not that I always succeed, mind you) to remember that everything that happens IS progress toward a goal. I put pounds back on so that I could learn what DIDN'T work. Setbacks are part of any goal. They are they to teach us lessons.

That's how I try to think of it! Thanks SO much for saying hello! : )