Munchies :(

Options
I ALWAYS get the munchies when I'm at work, or just bored in general. How can I get rid of them without actually snacking? I have a desk job, so I can't really get up and move too much!

Replies

• booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    chugging about 16oz of water usually does the trick for me... if after that I still have the munchies then I usually will grab a handful of almonds
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You can try keeping a water bottle next to you. But then that might make you need to use the restroom more lol
  • betsyweltha
    betsyweltha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried and tried to eliminate munching and couldn't do it so now I just munch on healthy things like carrots or pickles that are low in cals.... pop corn green beans gum or a big ol diet pop...
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem i chug water and then i chew gum, its funny cause as soon as i get off work those craving go away, the perils of having a desk job. Most people when they start a desk job gain weight.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/254949-sit-at-a-desk-all-day-eat-when-i-m-bored

Quite a few people answered last week :)
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I drinks LOTS AND LOTS of WATER...I was the same way with the munchies to pass the time in the office...Now I always have a full 32 oz water bottle next to me and if I am starting to get those urges to eat something I chug a bunch of water...I also chew on a golf tee...Which I used to help me stop smoking as well.
  • Jessabelle12
    Jessabelle12 Posts: 145
    Options
    I agree, drinking water helps alot I find, or chew some sugar-free gum. It'll give your mouth something to do and will make your mouth taste minty so you wont wanna eat.
    Or if it really is boredom focus on something else. Take your mind completely off what you were doing - that was clearly boring you in the first place! ;) - and compeletely do something different for a couple of minutes. Even just wander to the toilet, check your phone and send a quick text. Talk to a colleage. Just something that should take your mind temporarily off being bored then once you get back to work you'll be more focused and not just sitting twiddling your thumbs.
    If you're hungry I suggest having somehting small and healthy to eat. A piece of fruit or a healthy snack bar, otherwise by lunch you'll be really hungry and tempted to eat more!
    Good luck!
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    I can't stop snacking, I think it's hardwired into my brain...must snack....must snack, however, I try to snack on raw veggies ,not a big fruit fan but I can pick at blueberries and cranberries, nuts or a crispbread type snack. I always drink as much water as I can - but when your at work you could be in the bathroom most of the day!!
  • TWEETIE19
    TWEETIE19 Posts: 54
    Options
    I drink tons of water, and have veggies at my desk but usually water does the trick. I've thought about bringing a stability ball to use as my chair too...Sounds fun....Good Luck!!!!:drinker:
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Lot's of good fluids and GUM GUM GUM & MORE GUM.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get that way, too! Gum sometimes helps, along with a big glass of water, but otherwise, I'll just go with it and plan what I'm munching on into my day. I usually eat 6 small meals to help spread out my calories because I know I'm a muncher. I prefer to eat a lot of small food pieces by hand than to sit down for a big meal with a plate and fork. It's a good thing I don't live alone or I'd probably never cook a meal. :)

In any case, here are the things I snack on during the day to satisfy my munchie craving while still staying under my calorie goal of 1200:

- dry, low sugar breakfast cereals (Kix, Cheerios, etc.) This is my favorite because you get lots of vitamins, too.
    - baby carrots
    - celery sticks
    - sugar snap peas
    - fat free pretzels (sometimes with a little peanut butter for dipping)
    - almonds
    - beef jerky
    - watermelon cut into small chunks and eaten with a fork
    - grapes (frozen grapes are great and take longer to eat)
    - berries
    - raisins or dried cranberries
  • Kaelinnn_102
    Kaelinnn_102 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I've been trying the water thing, and I'm not so sure if it's helping ( I drink about 100 oz a day as it is) haha. But I quit smoking about 6 months ago, so I can see where my cravings are coming from! I'm going to try a few of your alls snack suggestions, and a golf tee too! Haha sounds funny but I'm desperate! Thanks again you all!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why snacks get such a bad rap...there's nothing wrong with snacking as long as you pick healthy options!
    You've gotten a lot of great ideas already but I'd like to also suggest that you either split your meals up to several small ones or try getting more protein so the food you eat sticks with you longer. I get that you're mostly dealing with boredom induced snacking but I find that if I'm full, the thought of snacking doesn't even enter my mind.