Whole 30??

Options
Hello! I recently did a Whole 30 for health reasons and I lost 8 lbs that I needed to lose too! I feel great and I am back to using My Fitness Pal to help maintain. Has anyone else done a Whole 30 and saw great results?!

Replies

• larsunrise16
    larsunrise16 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job, keep up the great work!
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend on her 3rd day myself I looked through the whole 30 book and decided to stick with the Dash Diet
  • andybridge100
    andybridge100 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What's whole 30?☺
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What's whole 30?☺

According to the authors, "Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system." and also "testimonials from thousands of Whole30 participants document the improvement or “cure” of any number of lifestyle-related diseases and conditions.

high blood pressure • high cholesterol • type 1 diabetes • type 2 diabetes • asthma • allergies • sinus infections • hives • skin conditions • endometriosis • PCOS • infertility • migraines • depression • bipolar disorder • heartburn • GERD • arthritis • joint pain • ADD • thyroid dysfunction • Lyme disease • fibromyalgia • chronic fatigue • lupus • leaky gut syndrome • Crohn’s • IBS • Celiac disease • diverticulitis • ulcerative colitis"

The things you cannot eat:
    • Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize. Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
    • Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
    • Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
    • Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
    • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
    • Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.

So it is your typical restrictive woo that you have to buy a book to follow.
  • kbschmidt83
    kbschmidt83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Andy, the above is accurate. You don't have to but the book to follow unless you want some awesome recipes which really help since you can only have fruits, veggies, meats, poultry, seafood and eggs :) But it is very worth it. You learn what your body is sensitive to, and it will help your body health from chronic conditions. It can even reverse certain conditions such as diabetes and high cholesterol (just to name a few). It's an anti inflammatory way to eat. It also changes your relationship with food. You will only eat when you are hungry and you snack less. I feel amazing. I finished about 2 weeks ago and I still follow mostly. I added back some grains and some legumes and an occasional glass of wine. Still no added or artificial sugar, or dairy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Andy, the above is accurate.

You missed the entire point. I posted the info to show how ridiculous this diet is. No diet can cure all the things this one is claiming to cure and it is overly restrictive. You admit yourself that you cannot stick to it. It is just a bunch of woo (aka snake oil) designed to sell books.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.

I don't see how a pancake could *be* a pancake without flour and water, but to suggest that ingredients have no impact on calories is silly.
  • ItalyandartAlaniz
    ItalyandartAlaniz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good job !
  • kbschmidt83
    Options
    This is not a diet. It's a 30 day whole body reset and actually yes it can reverse many conditions. It has reversed many associated problems of PCOS with me personally and my husband was on the verge of taking medication for high cholesterol and his numbers are now in range! After 30 days, you slowly introduce foods back into your diet as you want. If anyone is interested, I insist you check out their website and make your own opinions :) have a great day all! And remember. Positivity is also very healthy!
  • mbwbutterfly
    mbwbutterfly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a whole 30 as a reset 4 months ago. After the 30 days I lost 13 lbs, my hair and skin were amazing, my mood great, no headaches which I had almost daily, and the list goes on and on! Absolutely LOVE this plan. I am now on day 2 of my second round. It is not a diet and is not intended to be something you are to do for life, however it does get you into good eating habits and food choices that you can stick with for life. It's amazing how crappy you feel after eating a cheeseburger and fries after eating clean!!
  • jagbug2014
    jagbug2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! I recently did a Whole 30 for health reasons and I lost 8 lbs that I needed to lose too! I feel great and I am back to using My Fitness Pal to help maintain. Has anyone else done a Whole 30 and saw great results?!

• jagbug2014
    Options
    I'm starting a Whole 30 tomorrow, June 15th. I did it last summer and lost 10 lbs. Great work! I had so much more energy, and slept so well. I've let the processed food back in and I'm felling yucky!
  • jagbug2014
    Options
    kbschmidt83 & earlnabby, Two years ago I asked my primary doctor how to get rid of my belly fat. I walk 2-3 miles a day for fitness, and go to the gym 3 times a week. I was 57 yrs young at the time. He said, "You'll never lose until you give up grains and wheat, and change to eating more protein and lower carbs." When I FINALLY did the Whole 30, Iost 10 pounds in 4-5 weeks, he cut my blood pressure meds in half. I still have 50 pounds to lose, but he said, the whole foods make the difference. I did Weight Watchers for years, and follow their Simply Filling plan, minus the wheat & dairy, and of course added sugar and it really works for me. Whole 30 is just a reset, any program that restricts needs valid reasons to encourage a person to change for their health. Whole 30 did that for me. I did everything online with Whole 30, but when the book came out, I bought if for the fantastic simple recipes, and having all the info in one convenient place. When I add wheat/grains back into my diet, my eczema returns, with my hand cracking and bleeding. Not fun! When I have dairy, within 15-25 minutes my nose starts running, and if I don't discontinue dairy- I get another sinus infection. I was getting them every 6 weeks before Whole 30. I didn't have even one runny nose or sinus infection the ENTIRE time I was eating Whole 30- which is really just whole foods. So, think what you will, but "It Starts With Food" is more than a book, it's a reality in my life! I know this is long, I just had to share my experiences with and without eating Whole foods. Good luck everyone, we are all on our journey to become our best. Different roads aren't bad, just different! June
  • Kade6685
    Kade6685 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks all! Andy, the above is accurate.

You missed the entire point. I posted the info to show how ridiculous this diet is. No diet can cure all the things this one is claiming to cure and it is overly restrictive. You admit yourself that you cannot stick to it. It is just a bunch of woo (aka snake oil) designed to sell books.

No this isn't ridiculous... actually its getting back to the basics. It is def hard, but just cause something is hard doesn't mean it impossible. I have struggled with weight all my life... and with this way of eating... you could actually see a change. People would tell me I was glowing.

and... just so you know... I did it without reading the book.... so crazy right! Whole 30 actually has a lot of information available to all online. And its simple.... EAT REAL FOOD... fruits, veggies, healthy nutrient dense proteins, and healthy fats.
  • Kade6685
    Kade6685 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    jagbug2014 wrote: »
    kbschmidt83 & earlnabby, Two years ago I asked my primary doctor how to get rid of my belly fat. I walk 2-3 miles a day for fitness, and go to the gym 3 times a week. I was 57 yrs young at the time. He said, "You'll never lose until you give up grains and wheat, and change to eating more protein and lower carbs." When I FINALLY did the Whole 30, Iost 10 pounds in 4-5 weeks, he cut my blood pressure meds in half. I still have 50 pounds to lose, but he said, the whole foods make the difference. I did Weight Watchers for years, and follow their Simply Filling plan, minus the wheat & dairy, and of course added sugar and it really works for me. Whole 30 is just a reset, any program that restricts needs valid reasons to encourage a person to change for their health. Whole 30 did that for me. I did everything online with Whole 30, but when the book came out, I bought if for the fantastic simple recipes, and having all the info in one convenient place. When I add wheat/grains back into my diet, my eczema returns, with my hand cracking and bleeding. Not fun! When I have dairy, within 15-25 minutes my nose starts running, and if I don't discontinue dairy- I get another sinus infection. I was getting them every 6 weeks before Whole 30. I didn't have even one runny nose or sinus infection the ENTIRE time I was eating Whole 30- which is really just whole foods. So, think what you will, but "It Starts With Food" is more than a book, it's a reality in my life! I know this is long, I just had to share my experiences with and without eating Whole foods. Good luck everyone, we are all on our journey to become our best. Different roads aren't bad, just different! June

Congrats to you!! Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • gladass12
    gladass12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did my first whole30 earlier this year. My experience was amazing--I lost 10lbs, my hair and skin felt and looked great (eczema "disappeared"), slept better (fell asleep faster, stayed asleep, and woke up refreshed), maintained steady energy throughout the day (no crashes) and enough energy for my workouts, bloating was gone, mood improved, chronic pain my my ankles, calves, elbows, shoulders, and neck were gone. I also learned a lot about how my body responds to certain foods... I'm not allergic to dairy or any grains (particularly wheat), but I learned that I get bloated and gassy (sorry, TMI), and eczema flares when I take in too much of either. As many who have done it know, and even the couple who founded it have said that whole30 isn't meant to be a permanent way of eating. Rather a way to get back to basics, and for each person to learn more about how foods truly affect his or her own body. It's helped me so much that I plan on doing my second one in August (this time with the intent of adding foods back more slowly at the end of the 30 days). :smiley:
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i did a whole30 in January this year. I enjoyed the experience, but i didn't lose any weight. it was a great nutritional "reset" though, after holiday splurging. :) I still drink a 'mocktini' i learned about at whole30!
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've done 2. A summer and a winter one. Last June I lost 20 pounds and was finally sleeping through the night. I did another in January of this year, not as fun in the winter (less options for fruits and veggies I like). I'll probably do another, but not for a while. It's a tool for me not something I'll regularly do.
  • kbschmidt83
    Options
    Congrats to all of you! So glad to hear all of the great results! Keep up the good work guys! Feel free to add me for support too :-)
  • victori813
    victori813 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Big advocate of whole 30 program! Starting round 3 on Monday. Please add me if you're also doing it/support it