Building up one weak arm...

Options
coffeetox
coffeetox Posts: 34 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a question.
If one arm is weaker than the other and very noticeable, how would one go about building it up so it can somewhat catch up with the other arm. They have never really had a work out routine besides every day to day things. I'm thinking weights and exercise each side the same. The week arm is going to have to work harder so it will build faster. Am I right?

Replies

• kev6686
    kev6686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, yes. Generally you will always get slight imbalance I'm your arms, mine is my right being slightly stronger than my left.

One crucial tip, is if you're using dumbbells to curl, start with your weakest arm, then say if you get 2 sets of 10 and then you begin to struggle on your third set... You only manage 8 reps, always then match it with your stronger arm, don't go over, even though you can... Or this will obviously perpetuate the imbalance.

Also, make use of the ez bar to curl your arms simultaneously, over time, it should even out to a point that's it's no longer an issue.

I remember this exact problem when I started out, good luck :smiley:
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have honestly had the same question before but never had it addressed. My right side was a bit weaker and it showed in my lifts occasionally. However, after lifting consistently for about 3 months it seemed to even itself out.

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do lots of dumbbell work to strengthen weak side. I do db chest press, single arm press, A press, preacher curls, oh db press. Always work weak arm first and at a weight you can do 3 sets at 8 -10 reps. Machine or barbell work means your strong side can take over limiting how hard the weak side has to work. I've also got weak right leg so do single leg work too. I'm not sure how long it takes to build up strength though, I've only been doing it a couple of weeks.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    *Waits for the obligatory 'self-love' joke*
  • coffeetox
    coffeetox Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! My right side is my strong side. Think its from all those mouse clicks while on the computer....lol :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    "The usual way"

3bfeb214163c51c88ef041a84b3672b29d061387.jpg