Question: PCOS Diet Plan calories vs. MFP calories?

Options
Hey friends,

I'm looking for some advice. I am in the midst of a PCOS diagnosis (ugh) and I'm reading this great book called The PCOS Diet Plan. The book recommends that you calculate your BMR (mine is 1834.1), multiply by your activity level (for light, multiply by 1.375, to get about 2522). So that's supposedly your maintaining calories and then you subtract just 200-300 for the deficit instead of 500, the idea being that having a small deficit will make the process more gradual and more like a change in habits and less aggressive, therefore making you less likely to quit.

So I did all this math and came up with a daily number of 2,222 calories to start the gradual weight loss.

Then I was like "Hey! MFP is easier than writing all this stuff out by hand. I'll put it on there!" and I'm noticing MFP's number is much lower than the book's number (1,690).

So I don't know if I should be going with MFP's number, or if I should go with what the book recommends?

HALP.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you tell MFP your goal was a loss of .5 lb/week? That's what the book is recommending.

Also, MFP's sedentary is a multiple of 1.2, I believe, since you add exercise in separately. (Assuming the BMR is roughly the same under both calculations, it looks to me like that plus you perhaps telling MFP -1 lb/week could account for the difference.)

As for what to do, it really depends on which approach you'd rather do. I find aiming for .5 lb/week harder than 1 lb/week, because you have to be so precise with logging and it's harder to see the losses (which are motivating) given that we all have natural fluctuations. But having a deficit that you can stick to is the most important thing.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    MFP uses a different formula, called NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) that gives you your deficit including your normal every day activity but excluding exercise. When you exercise, you add the calories burnt to your MFP goal and eat them back in order to stay at your original deficit.

What is your current height/weight? How many lbs per week did you set MFP to use?
  • julialynnt
    julialynnt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the explanations! I am confident that MFP's answers are good to go. Thank you!
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @julialynnt I have PCOS and I can say for me the numbers really did not matter and don't for the women that I know with PCOS. That does not mean eat whatever you want, but eating around 1400-1600 calories a day combined with my medication, I was able to lose. The numbers MFP and the PCOS book gave me were pretty off.
  • emhunter
    Options
    @julialynnt I have PCOS and I can say for me the numbers really did not matter and don't for the women that I know with PCOS. That does not mean eat whatever you want, but eating around 1400-1600 calories a day combined with my medication, I was able to lose. The numbers MFP and the PCOS book gave me were pretty off.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are a few GREAT PCOS groups on here. Join one!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    julialynnt wrote: »
    Hey friends,

I'm looking for some advice. I am in the midst of a PCOS diagnosis (ugh) and I'm reading this great book called The PCOS Diet Plan. The book recommends that you calculate your BMR (mine is 1834.1), multiply by your activity level (for light, multiply by 1.375, to get about 2522). So that's supposedly your maintaining calories and then you subtract just 200-300 for the deficit instead of 500, the idea being that having a small deficit will make the process more gradual and more like a change in habits and less aggressive, therefore making you less likely to quit.

So I did all this math and came up with a daily number of 2,222 calories to start the gradual weight loss.

Then I was like "Hey! MFP is easier than writing all this stuff out by hand. I'll put it on there!" and I'm noticing MFP's number is much lower than the book's number (1,690).

So I don't know if I should be going with MFP's number, or if I should go with what the book recommends?

HALP.

Follow MFP. And do not overcomplicate it. PCOS groups, books, diets etc are very trendy right now, but really it is simple. Count calories, exercise and you will lost weight and feel better. If you have more detailed instructions from your dr regarding foods to avoid or meds to take, obviously follow these too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »

Just curious - what were the numbers MFP and the PCOS book gave you?

• emhunter
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »

Just curious - what were the numbers MFP and the PCOS book gave you?

I cannot remember the exact numbers now. It's been a long time (years) since I let those suggestions go. I do remember 1800-2000 number range for the most part.