Fat intake

Options
Hi guys! First off, thank you for sharing and making this a great group. So, I'm trying to figure out how much fat I shoukd have every day on lchf. I went to starbucks and had a sugar free vanilla steamer made with heavy whipping cream. Although it was delightful, I've felt guilty about it all day. Did I over do it?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Low carb high fat means high fat. I'm shooting for around %80 fat. Keeps me full and mellow.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The majority of time, I see it around 65-80% of the calories. I also tend to push protein (very good for satiety and the building block for muscle retention). Protein is generally recommended around .8 to 1g per lb of lean body mass (about .6 to .8g per lb of weight). Also how many carbs & calories are you shooting for?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Low carb high fat means high fat. I'm shooting for around %80 fat. Keeps me full and mellow.

Wow - I do not know how you do that. Granted, I have a family history of gallbladder issues, so I wouldn't want to go quite that high, but I'm struggling to get up to 20%!

OP, heavy fats are really okay on LCHF. It's the calories in said whipping cream that you should be aware of. Last time I checked, whipped cream adds about 70-80 calories on a typical Starbucks latte. Probably the sugar too, if you live in the US (and because you're doing LCHF).

I wouldn't beat yourself up though, that's still not a bad amount and can probably be made up for easily. Although, it's not going to break your deficit for one day all by itself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fat. That is one of the many benefits of going low carb B)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you are doing low carb or very low carb your fat should be around 65-80% of your macros. You have to fit it within your calories. If you keep abstaining from foods you like most likely you will break down psychologically and start binge eating. Just eat the foods you like, log it accurately and move on.
  • BeccaBenge98
    BeccaBenge98 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thankyou guys for all the helpful tips.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try olive oil.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »

Same here.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rbenge73 wrote: »
    Hi guys! First off, thank you for sharing and making this a great group. So, I'm trying to figure out how much fat I shoukd have every day on lchf. I went to starbucks and had a sugar free vanilla steamer made with heavy whipping cream. Although it was delightful, I've felt guilty about it all day. Did I over do it?

Let THAT go.