has come to a new realisation about exercise...

Options
The last few days I have found out that if you do not stare at the times of how long you've been exercising for, you are bound to exercise for much longer & it will feel like much less time. Yesterday I just watched tv whilst exercising & 90 minutes later I could not believe it had been so long! Decided to not set a timer or look at the clock all the time whilst exercising anymore.. And keep your mind occupied, but not so occupied you do not know what you're doing... :)

Replies

• hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate the countdown on gym machines - I used to put my towel over them, but sadly at my new gym I can't due to placement.

But I often watch TV on my iPhone if I'm doing the slow-burn, not much concentration needed exercise.

Good that you found something that works for you - that's the key thing.
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes ... I'm agree with u. I used this alot while doing studies at uni. I am trying not to look at time spent or left.
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes ... I'm agree with u. I used this alot while doing studies at uni. I am trying not to look at time spent or left.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That's why I listen to music when I run - at first I didn't and I found I was fixating on how long I had left. Now I listen to music and sing along in my head, and I find that I'm no longer wondering when on earth the run is going to end! :laugh: I find it much easier to keep going. Distraction is a great thing!
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i watch catch up tv, the soaps ive missed while i use my rower, time does pass quicker :)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan, so I download the episodes to my iphone and watch at the gym. I watch 2 episodes, each is 44 minutes long and is perfect for my 40 minutes + 5 minutes cool down on the elliptical and treadmill. I just started season 4 and now get to add in Angel!!!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I listen to music and calculate my time by how many songs have played - I estimate 3 minutes per song cause most are longer and by the time I've done all the calculations in my head that's another 10 minutes ( at least ;o) haha) I've added on!!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan, so I download the episodes to my iphone and watch at the gym. I watch 2 episodes, each is 44 minutes long and is perfect for my 40 minutes + 5 minutes cool down on the elliptical and treadmill. I just started season 4 and now get to add in Angel!!!

And what better inspiration and motivator than Buffy?!!
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Ahh. I've been watching Rescue Me, but that's gone downhill. Have been itching for a Buffy rewatch - maybe that's the way to do it!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Definitely. A watched pot never boils.