Getting a DEXA scan today!

Options
I can't wait; it'll tell me my body fat percentage and bone density! And it's at one of the best facilities in America.

Here is a sample test of what I'm getting: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/education/assets/files/KHE/FIT/DXA Sample Results form.pdf

I'm guessing my body fat is at about 15%, but I'll find out for sure later today. I'm so excited!!! I'll come back here later today with details about the experience. Has anybody here tried this, or maybe a bod pod test?

Replies

• seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have done a BodPod test. It was simple enough; get in and breathe normally. I'm not sure what it measures exactly, but I believe what it measures directly is body density. From there a mathematical model is used to predict body fat percentage. In my case, the Brozak algorithm was used.

My test was a few years ago and I was 40.9% body fat according to the BodPod. That would be the me in the left side of my profile picture.

I have since been trying to get back to the same facility but they aren't open to the public any more. I've been doing skin folds (myself, so not an expert) and turning the crank on the measurements yields a body density estimate of 1.055 and 18.88% body fat by Brozak, 19.09% by Siri (the algorithm, not the Apple technology). I can see from the picture that it has gone down. I would love to be able to boast that I am under 20% body fat now. However, I don't have that much faith in my measurements or the algorithms. I am, however, confident that I can measure in the same spot from week to week. As long as the direct skin fold measurements are going down, I'm headed in the direction I want to go. I run the calculations just for fun.

I have heard that DEXA scans are very accurate. I'm interested to hear about your experience with it.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Any updates OP?
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes, please! I'd love to hear about your experience :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Update??

I'm hoping to get a DEXA scan later this year, Christmas present to myself!