Scar Pain when lifting

Options
Four years ago I had a fast growing tumour in the belly of my left deltoid. It was so big that you could actually see it bulging from my arm and as it grew it tore my deltoid. Needless to say that when they removed it they had to remove a large section of my deltoid. I have found that when I am lifting, I get a burning feeling in my scar and that for the next day that area is uncomfortable. I know it's common sense that it would hurt more considering that it's been through and that I'm working that area out, but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences anything like it on a previous surgery site and if so, what have you found to help ease it a bit? It's not unbearable and isn't anything that will stop me from lifting but just curious as to what helps you ease the discomfort. I already massage the scar a lot.

Replies

• izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's normal - the muscle was shortened, so now it gets pulled when you workout. If this is happening my guess is that you didn't get a proper rehab after the surgery? It has been four years so it has healed, but I'm not sure whether it wouldn't be better to check with the doctor whether you need rehab before going for heavier workouts as you might be risking injuries.
  • MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to completely rehab it unfortunately. We had icy weather and my rehab place was on the other side of town so I didn't feel safe to drive. By the time the weather was passed I was back at work so between college and work there wasn't any time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also if you are just doing hand massage, add a ball. it will help get deeper.
    ask your doctor if you can do some rehab now, the pt will help you figure what your limitations are, and will be.