Rest day, C25k and Hip Pain

Options
I am a 50 year old mother of six. I have been walking 4-6 miles per day for the past 6 months and just started the C25k app two weeks ago. I do my 4-6 mile walk on the days when I do not do the C25k.

I began having right side hip pain the first day of the second week that I ran and now it feels like my right hip needs a root canal. It's a deep pain that only doesn't hurt when I am sitting or laying on my back.

This pain is new. I didn't have it even on my longest walks before and even when I was at my heaviest.

I was told to get fitted for good runner's shoes, so I did that (at the end of C25k week one) and have been wearing them when I run.

I am thinking I need a rest day. What does a rest day look like, as far as daily activity goes and eating and will this really help or am I just being lazy?

Should I go back to just walking until this resolves? I am 5'7" and currently 192 (down from 298 after VSG surgery 2/4/15).

Opinions needed and thank you in advance.

Jan

Replies

• mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi Jan,

You should be so proud of yourself for pushing your body and starting C25K. Are you stretching? I, too, get hip pain when I run or walk long distances (as well as back pain). My issues lie in my hip flexors and quad muscles -- this may be what's bothering you as well.

Try some of these stretches. Hold for 30sec each.
    fitbodyhq.com/fitness/12-great-stretches-for-tight-hip-flexors/

Remember, if you're in pain, rest the those hips!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I would not run with persistent pain. Too much potential to really hurt yourself.

When I started running, a rest day was simply don't run, don't do anything that involves sudden starts, stops, turns or jumping (like playing soccer/basketball/football). Walking, bicycling, swimming, that sort of thing was fine.

If I were you, I would wait until the pain goes away, then try again. Make sure to run super slowly and stop if the pain starts to come back. If it does, I'd suspect that you're not wearing good shoes for you. There's only so much a sales clerk, even if they're a running shoe fit expert, can tell on a single visit with a new runner. Sometimes you need some trial and error.

I know my first pair of shoes didn't work out for me. They gave me motion control shoes (because I overpronate a bit) with a standard 8mm heel drop. The arch bruised my foot (my arches are low), and the heel drop caused knee pain. Turns out shoes with basically no support and 0mm heel drop work much better for me.