calorie deficit+weight lifting=scale is going up

Options
I am currently eating at a very slight caloric deficit at 1800 calories (100p/250c/51f). I starting eating like this a few weeks ago (last week of august) when I wasn't lifting weights and I was slowly dropping pounds. However, ever since I started the 5 x 5 weight lifting program, my weight has slowly been creeping up. About .2 pounds consistently for the past few days (.6 in total). I'm not totally concerned and I was thinking since I'm more of a beginner to weights, my body was just holding onto water? I don't think I've necessarily gained muscle since I've read that is very hard to do, but I don't know....is it easier to put on muscle for beginners since their body's arent used to the activity? and that would result in the weight gain? I've measured my waist and it's about the same as before, possibly a little smaller, its hard to tell. Has anyone had experience with this? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Water retention from new exercise program. It's not muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    when you lift weight, you create little muscle tears...your body has to repair those tears and you retain water to do so...it is temporary and will level off
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thank you- I figured it was water of some kind- just wanted someone elses advice/speculations.