Food On The Go!

Options
Hey MFP buddies, I'm looking for your help :blush:

My Mondays have become very challenging! I leave the house at 6.45am and do not get home until around 10.30pm. I do not have time for a lunch break, I'm literally running from college to work to practice hours for my course work.

I do not have access to a microwave or a kitchen during the day but can eat in the car or at my desk in work. I'm looking for healthy food on the go, that is not messy. Not just snacks but something that will keep me going for the day.

When I get home at that time I'm too tired to cook and its too late to eat a big meal.

Any suggestions at all would be really appreciated! :smiley:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cook on the week end and set aside food to take in an insulated bag with an ice pack. -- food that you like eating cold.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Granola, PB sandwich, nuts, soup in a thermos. Salads, tuna, cold stuff, if you have a cooler-type of lunch bag.

Can you buy a cheap microwave and take it into work? There must be some spot that could accommodate one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Cook on the week end and set aside food to take in an insulated bag with an ice pack. -- food that you like eating cold.

This.

I like lots of foods cold, so just being able to keep it chilled enough for safety would be what would matter for me.

Cooked chicken (I prefer this with bones and skin, roasted) with chopped raw vegetables and a piece of fruit; salad with protein (bring the dressing and add it just before you eat). Traditional sandwich on whole grain bread with turkey and avocado (or whatever you like -- just tossing out things that seem appealing to me).

My microwave at home is broken so I've been eating cold pork shoulder with whatever sides I happen to prepare -- made that in the slow cooker to serve for multiple dinners and lunches.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about the soups in thermos and smoothie in beakers. A sandwich is also possible. Its just that I feel I'll be missing out on dinner so want something substantial or I might just have to learn a new way of eating.

I get that the day is very unreasonable. I'm juggling work with college and a placement I have to do for college so its very tough. I officially do get a lunch in work but as I'm in late and have to leave early I work through it and am allowed eat at my desk. There is a full canteen here so for health and safety reasons we cannot have microwaves on the floor. I have to admit I could grab something in the canteen here but it tends to be cooked hours in advance in oil and loaded with salt. Not a healthy way to eat. I'd rather get ideas for cold dinners / snacks on the go from healthy like minded people :)

I tried a salad yesterday but it was too messy considering I ate it while driving! A sandwich would be way better.

@Kalikel I do make my own granola so that might be an idea!

Thanks guys. All of the above is helpful!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue- my schedule is very hectic and irregular at times. I like things that don't need to be heated, like wraps and salads for lunch. Also you can do overnight(refrigerator) oats, 100 cal packs of nuts (almonds are my personal favorite), easy grab and go fruit like bananas, apples, and oranges, baby carrots, granola, string cheese, peanut butter.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You can make smoothies and freeze in advance, then they will defrost by lunch or later. I do this for my kids for lunch or after school. Just need a good stir before drinking. I like a good protein shake to drink in the car on very busy mornings (protein powder, banana, maybe some pb powder and greens).

How about quiche (regular or crustless) or frittata, wraps, roasted veggies (I personally like them hot or cold). Then the kind of snacks iLovemyPitbill suggested above - things you can eat easily when you have short breaks - fruit, yogurt, almonds.

A good thermos would keep something warm until lunch, but not dinner.

Good for you for bringing your own food - that takes dedication on such a long day!
  • GillianLF
    Options
    You can make smoothies and freeze in advance,

Can you really do this? That would be quite handy.

Its funny, I actually thought of trying to make a crustless quiche this weekend. I have some leeks that need to be used up. Never made one before or a frittata but I do like those foods cold and it would be very filling. Definitely would tick the "dinner" box. Thanks!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, trail mix, nuts, jerky, dried fruit, protein bars, granola bars, fresh fruit, canned fish and chicken, shaker cup for protein powder.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »

Its funny, I actually thought of trying to make a crustless quiche this weekend. I have some leeks that need to be used up. Never made one before or a frittata but I do like those foods cold and it would be very filling. Definitely would tick the "dinner" box. Thanks!

I do these in muffin tins and they are amazing! Very filling and can be a dumping ground for leftovers.

Definitely get a Thermos as someone else has suggested. I can keep my soup hot until when I eat about 1. You just have to prime it. I might try and pile a bunch of those mini quiches in next time I make them!

When I was in school my mom used to freeze my sandwiches and they would be defrosted by lunch. And it helped keep my other items cool.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner - make pasties! :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »

I do it for my own lunches- they act as my ice packs. I use the refillable pouches they sell for kids food on Amazon.

Also, hard boiled eggs, protein bars, cheese sticks or chunks, egg "muffins" (mini quiches without crust baked in muffin cups), etc...
  • FutureThoughts
    FutureThoughts Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You could get real creative with the thermos keeping things hot...any one pot meal really...soups, stews, maybe even casserole?? (Could you get to the bottom of the thermos?) If it's an option for you, I saw personal size crock pots at stores! Just need an outlet at your desk and it will heat up your food. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006H5V7ZY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1442969089&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=personal+crock+pot+for+officeFor car eating, sandwich wraps and fruit/veggies are way to go. There are some good wrap recipes on EatWell.com, make a bean spread, avocado spread, etc to mix it up and get your nutrients.

You may need to start thinking of lunch as your big meal and dinner as the typical lunch if dinner is in the car.

Kudos to you for staying strong and planning with a difficult schedule!!!
  • GillianLF
    Options
    Muffin tin quiches? YES! That sounds ideal.
    I have a really great thermos flask I bought for college...and haven't used it yet so I should really get using it!

I think you're right @ FutureThoughts, my lunch needs to be my big meal.