30 day shred: How do you calculate calories burned ?

ducky1031
ducky1031 Posts: 3
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I joined last week and I am slowly getting into the swing of things. Haven't logged on everyday yet but that is my goal this week.

How do I calculate the calories burned for vidoes?

Specifically
-30 day shred: level 1, 2 and 3
-Tracy Anderson Mat Workout

Any suggestions?

Replies

• brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    I am wondering the exact same thing, curious to hear how others calculate it!
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    I recommend getting a heart rate monitor - worth the investment!
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    I recommend getting a heart rate monitor - worth the investment!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    The only accurate way is to get a HRM (heart rate monitor) with a chest strap and wear it while you work out. If you don't have a HRM, you can probably estimate it using the entry for "Calisthenics, Vigorous"
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    circuittraining is what I was told.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Well, I should say that I think the calisthenics entry is fairly close for the 30DS (30 day shred). I don't know about the other video.
  • I use high impact aerobics for 30 day shred, for 20 minutes.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Im not sure people are actually 'calculating it' .. i think they are using a heart rate monitor. I use mine for every Insanity workout and with P90X. Helps a lot!
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to accurately measure my calories burned. Some days I'm more into the 30DS and push harder and some days, I take it slightly easier.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    I use high impact aerobics for 30 day shred, for 20 minutes.

That's what I did before I got my HRM. It was closer than logging it as circuit training, which would have said I was burning MORE than I actually was.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I do my 30DS,,,i find the circuit training calorie count is the closest to what my heart rate monitor says....
    if you put it under general aerobics MFP is about 120 calories under what my heart monitor says...
  • ducky1031
    ducky1031 Posts: 3
    Thank you all! Seems like HRM is the way to go! I will go out this weekend and get one however in the meantime i will look into the other suggestions that fellow members posted (i.e.: circuit training / high impact).

Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.