Couch to 5k

Options
So I've been trying to do this and have started and stopped twice now. Yesterday I decided to start again now that I'm on MFP. Well, the first week is designed so you do a 5 minute warm up walk, then 8, 60 seconds runs, followed by a 90 second recovery and a final 5 minute walk to cool down. I'm so out of shape that I only made 7 out of 8 runs :( But it's also supposed to be done 3 times a week and I plan on doing it 5 times a week to build my stamina.

My older sister just ran a 5k last weekend and I'm so jealous of her! So that's my goal. A 5k by the Fall and MAYBE a 10k next Spring. (If I don't collapse to the ground during my Week 1 training) LOL!!!!!!

Anyone else out there doing it feel free to friend me :) I need all the support I can get!

Good Luck to everyone out there. We're all amazing people just the way we are. :)

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 of this program currently, and just some advice. Only run the 3x it suggests. Your body needs the rest in between and to prevent injury! It's an intense program, especially if you're just starting out, and your body will need to recoup. This doesn't mean those have to be rest days, just choose another exercise/workout etc to fill in the void days. I'd hate to see you get hurt because you've pushed too far, too fast.

That being said. C25K is a great program. Like i said, I'm on W7 and i absolutely love it.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You should really aim for 3 days a week and maybe some sort of strength training on the days you don't run. You don't want to burn out too soon. When I started the program I ran three days a week and did the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD three days a week and rested one day. I couldn't run more than a minute but I stuck with it and completed the program in 9 weeks. Since then I have run in 3 5K races and I just recently ran a 10K. Running can become addicting! Good luck!
  • frostke
    frostke Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been doing the Couch to 5K program as well. I'm on week 3. It's definitely hard so I feel ya there! Since I was so out of shape I actually done the weeks twice so I've been doing the program for 5 weeks now total. I definitely agree with Miss Anjy, make sure you only do the 3x a week. I did it two days in a row and it was not good! Good luck to you! Maybe one day we'll all be running 5K's!!!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I agree that only 3x a week is enough. If you couldn't finish all of the sets, maybe slow your run time down a bit. The program is to get you moving...you can always do it a second time to build up speed :wink:

I am on week 6 myself and love it!!!! You will see an improvement in no time :bigsmile:
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm in week 5. I've read many times that the main downfall of new runners is that they try too much too soon and they get injured or burned out so they get frustrated and end up quitting. You may want to stick with 3 day weeks for this program. Good luck!
  • lazirlott
    lazirlott Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can do it! :happy: I started the C25K program on May 3; after a week or so of a homemade walk/run program. I was huffing and puffing the first few weeks. I did it every day and last week got to week 6, which means I have completed a 20 minute run with no stopping! That is pretty unbelievable if you saw me the first couple of weeks :) Last week I pulled a muscle in my calf so I have not ran in 5 days and hope I am not losing ground, but I can't wait until I can get back at it. This last week has show me that it is much easier to make the best eating choices WHEN you are running; I guess when you are investing that much effort it is easier to say no to high calorie foods too. GOOD LUCK
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I agree, three times a week running is the max you should be doing. Otherwise you risk injuring yourself. Use the in-between days to do another form of low-impact cardio or strength training.

My sister runs full marathons, so I understand your desire to get moving!! I had a hard time getting started on C25K. What I ended up doing was finding an interval program for my Android phone and customizing my own interval plan. I ran for 30 seconds and walked for 90 seconds the first week, went to 60 seconds running and 120 seconds walking the second week and so on until I'm now up to 2 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. Next week, I'm planning to cut the two minutes walking down to 90 seconds.

My sister runs a 5K using 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking, so that's my ultimate goal. She goes 6 minutes running, 1 minute walking for a full or half marathon. Interval training is actually better for you than straight running. I have no desire to actually run an entire 5K.
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, it will get easier as your body builds strength and stamina. I just started and had to do week 1 twice because I was so out of shape. Now on week two it seams to be getting easier. Good luck and keep pushin.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    as said before stick to the workouts set out, you need the rest days or you risk injury.
    I just started again for the 2nd time today & found it much easier this time around. I put this down to my improved fitness & stamina from doing zumba/tae bo this past month. Feel free to friend me if you want some support, we can moan about out aches together :)
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am about to start my first time EVER :laugh: I am happy to have all the extra support I can get, and it's always nice to have someone to work through the aches with!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I also agree with taking your pace down a notch if you're having difficulty. This program is more about endurance then it is about speed :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am also doing C25K. I am on week 4 which I did for the first time yesterday (tomorrow is day 2). I have NEVER been a runner, and I haven't ran since high school when I did sports (10 yrs ago). It is more about endurance than speed. I have to do some self-talking to get through it, but I have done every week so far. My goal is to run a 5K for Breast Cancer in Oct. I did have a partner running with me, but she has injured her knee. Now, she gives me the motivation from the sidelines.

Just take it easy. Don't worry about your speed, just get through it. You can build up speed later. I will add you to help encourage/support you. This is an intense program, but I LOVE IT!!!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    I just did day 1 of week 1 today. I am so out of shape :( I think I managed 1/2 the runs. Admittedly, I ended up walking for an extra 30 minutes at the end anyway because I got lost on my route, so I don't feel quite so bad about it. I'll keep trying and not move onto week 2 until I can do all of week 1 with running included. Maybe on Wednesday I won't get so lost :)
  • baumhoff
    baumhoff Posts: 30
    Options
    I just started also...today i'll be doing w1d2...if i survive!!!! I'm anticipating the need to repeat week one but everyone has had such good feedback about the program that i plan on continuing it!!! I think its great that I can play my music while the proram is running and that it keeps track of kcal burned to!!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you are getting tired before the end, you might be running to fast. Try to slow it down a bit. That is a common error most people make. They start out too fast and get winded too quickly and give up. Just go a little slower and it will get easier.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    How does everyone enter their info for this as an excercise? I don't have a HRM so I have no clue how many calories I actually burned.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 7 this morning!! I seriously never thought I could do that. If I can do it, anyone can. I have only done c25k for the 3 times per week, usually M-W-Sat with doing some Jillian Michaels DVDs on Tu-Th-Fr. I've been concentrating on her DVD's that use weights on those inbetween days. For me it's about starting a program and seeing it through. There were a couple runs where I wanted to stop...but I pushed and am ever so glad that I did! I ran 25 min this morning and then I ran for about 3 extra minutes, mostly because I had to get to my car, but also because I could! I will see this program through to the end.

One of the keys for me is posting a written workout schedule. I sat down one night and wrote out a schedule of which days I was going to do what workout for the entire 9 week program and I've varied a bit due to weather, but each day I see what I'm "supposed" to do and even check it before I go to bed so I can see what I get to look forward to in the morning. :)

My sis is a 1/2 marathon runner, which I will not aspire too. But I look up to her and am proud to be a runner too now, even if it is just 5k.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How does everyone enter their info for this as an excercise? I don't have a HRM so I have no clue how many calories I actually burned.

I use Cardio Trainer for my phone and go off of what it says. I've also used my average speed and the total time I was running/walking to determine calories burned. I usually average about 4.2 MPH, now.