Want to Ditch the Scales - But think I'm a bit addicted !!

Options
Hello,

I have been steadily losing at a decent rate by calorie deficit and cardio. I have recently introduced lifting into my workout schedule. I weigh myself every morning and over the past 2 mornings I have seen an increase on both days - equal to about 3-4lbs. My rational mind is telling me that this is just fluctuations or water weight but the little nutter in the corner of my brain is telling me that I'll just keep gaining and gaining and put it all back on if I don't see a loss soon.

Someone help - I think that I might be insane!!

I want to carry on lifting as well as keep doing my cardio - do you think its best to ditch the scales for the sake of my sanity?

Please don't be too harsh people - I know that my thinking is bonkers but I just can't stop living by the number on the scale!!

Replies

• rikixchristine
    rikixchristine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i'd weigh myself once (at most twice) a week! you won't notice the fluctuation as if you were weighing yourself every morning!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights = healthy. Cardio = healthy. Obsessing over the scale and a couple pounds fluctuation = not healthy.

Keep eating in a caloric deficit and give the scale a rest.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    When you lift weights initially its completely normal to see a jump on the scales, thats from increased water being held as your muscles repair... its temporary.
    If you are going to be a daily weigher you must be prepared for fluctuations and what causes them or they will drive you crazy.
    If you can't cope with fluctuations, stay off them and keep weigh ins weekly/fortnightly/monthly.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    What you are seeing on the scales is totally normal :) Don't panic!

I would suggest weighing weekly as opposed to daily. Also - remember, the scales aren't the best tracker for weight loss. In the beginning, they are great for keeping on track but now you've introduced weigh training, your body is going to change in amazing ways. You are going to be losing inches - get that tape measure out!

I *only* lost 2lbs last month, but I lost EIGHT inches. Non scale victories are the best!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    do you think its best to ditch the scales for the sake of my sanity?

Yes, for the time being.

It has become a detrimental habit but the old adage "out of sight out of mind" will help.

Keep it somewhere out of sight and difficult to access unless you make a deliberate and conscious effort to do so.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you know you're logging properly and eating at a deficit, part of you knows that it can't be fat gain. So trust the science and give it time. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been steadily losing at a decent rate by calorie deficit and cardio. I have recently introduced lifting into my workout schedule. I weigh myself every morning and over the past 2 mornings I have seen an increase on both days - equal to about 3-4lbs. My rational mind is telling me that this is just fluctuations or water weight but the little nutter in the corner of my brain is telling me that I'll just keep gaining and gaining and put it all back on if I don't see a loss soon.

Someone help - I think that I might be insane!!

I want to carry on lifting as well as keep doing my cardio - do you think its best to ditch the scales for the sake of my sanity?

Please don't be too harsh people - I know that my thinking is bonkers but I just can't stop living by the number on the scale!!

Ha, I've known the feeling.

Ditching the scales is perfectly fine. A lot of people rely on measurements and how clothes fit to track weight loss.

You need to do what works best for you. :)
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I said I wasn't going to weigh every day, but ever since I bought a new scale I've been sneaking in peeks. It's so random and all over the place.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep sneaking peeks, then record the results. (I used to use graph paper, now I use Libra, but there's also Trendweight and other apps.) Pretty soon you'll gain a useful understanding of when and why the fluctuations occur (exercise, salt, hydration, sleep . . . ), and will get used to them, as well as getting assurance that your trend is still in the desired direction.

Oh, and +1 to the measurements idea, too. They definitely don't track exactly parallel with weight.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Find a different way to measure your progress like calipers. That's what I do now because I started gaining weight but it's all muscle :)