Always hungry.

Options
Here lately I have been hungry all the time. I am not sure why. And I am not losing. Please help me. I am getting very discouraged.

Replies

• gabycakes0769
    gabycakes0769 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well what are you eating?
  • Andreatts9
    Andreatts9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fibers and proteins?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Are you logging and weighing all of your foods accurately?

Could you possibly be over-eating to try and ease your hunger pangs?

There could be a variety of reason, we are gonna' need a little bit more info from you :)
  • M_Wilson1117
    M_Wilson1117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I am working out three times a week for an hour each. Food, I am doing my best. I know I need to improve but eating seems to be such a chore.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Need to know what you are eating if you want help. Suggest opening your diary.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try to have some serving of protein with every meal/snack. (lowfat cheese, yogurt, chicken, fish, eggs) I also eat around 5 times a day so I am eating something every few hours.

Take a look at your food diary. How are you using your calories? Are there a lot of high calorie items that are not enough to fill you up for a few hours? Try to limit those or eat them in smaller portions and substitute some lower calorie options like veggies or berries. Tweaking what and when you eat can help a lot.
  • sylviak555
    sylviak555 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein helps a lot. I have been weighing and measuring. I was amazed at how my portions sizes had increased over the years so with the MFP I have downsized the portions back to healthy sizes. I have also decided to think of food differently- am training my brain so to speak. Keep trying, don't give up. There will be steps backward but more forward if you keep at it. Good luck.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're just working out and not keeping track of what you eat, you are highly unlikely to lose weight. Logging your food might sound like lunacy, but you have to do it, and you have to be meticulous about it. Not only does it result in weight loss, but it also helps you plan out meals and snacks. To make it even easier to log, get a food scale. Put a bowl on it, zero it out, dump everything in it that you're going to eat and do your portions by their listed weight. Much easier, much more accurate, and a lot less measuring cups to wash.

I have found that it really helps to avoid any situation where I get ravenously hungry. If I feel like I'm not going to make it to lunch, I eat some graham crackers or some fruit so that at lunch I'm not ripping the kitchen apart looking for everything and anything to eat. That also makes me less hungry at lunch time, so I can eat a smaller meal. Using that method, I usually have a good amount banked for dinner.

Another thing I have learned over the last few weeks--and this was complete news to me: you cannot go every day being constantly hungry. You will start to feel incredibly bad, and it probably means that your defecit is not sustainable. I had to nudge mine up a couple hundred calories a couple of weeks ago, and it made a HUGE difference after feeling like crap for about two weeks. My 1500 calories a day was just not healthy for me anymore and I was losing energy, muscle mass, and motivation. I could tell I was quickly going down the road to failure, so I upped it to 1700 a day and it's been like night and day. (And my weight is still coming down!)

These are things you will be very in tune with if you just simply log your food. You will be able to get a good baseline goal, decide if that works for you or not, and then adjust from there. Accurate logging is the key.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @M_Wilson1117 on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings if you change your Diary Sharing to Public we will be able to take a look and give you more meaningful feedback.

(This presumes your logging is accurate. If not, do log accurately for a few days and then let us know.)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    then you should eat!!! who wants to be hungry all the time?
  • M_Wilson1117
    M_Wilson1117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I do appreciate it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

I looked at your weight loss goal. You should be able to eat quite a bit and still lose.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    getting enough protein helps me not feel hungry. lately I have been adding nuts to my diary. the diary is an important step. you don't have to open it for all to see, but logging helps you keep track of things. prior to logging my meals, i was doing a lot of unconscious eating. not even binges. just things i would forget about eating. like grabbing a small burger on my way to teach my evening class. but then i would forget i had that burger. it was only as small one:-) and maybe a small fry :wink: then i would have my regular dinner after getting home from work. it obviously all adds up, but i really wasn't noticing it because much of my eating was pretty healthy. like the dinner i would have several hours after that quick burger and fry snack would be chicken and veggies or something. like you, i had been working out consistently for several months, but wasn't seeing any results. that was from september to january last year. then i joined mfp at the end of january and started to log my meals, and i dropped about 21 lbs in a month. i have lost 77 so far. its not magic, but it feels like it. i stopped eating those extra mini meals and snacks because they weren't in my diary. actually omitting the chicken and veggies once i got home may have worked as well. i discovered i am not a hobbit, so i don't need second breakfast and 11'sies :) this is my advice for help. log your meals before eating. don't eat anything that you do not log first. plan meals that are filling, while still eating at deficit, don't overlook protein. best of luck. you got this:-)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Here's things that have helped me when that happens:

Make sure you're journaling accurately - that you're not underestimating your portions.
    Drink more water
    Increase your fiber intake - fiber fills the stomach - really helped me LOTS
    Increase your protein intake. I don't care if my protein macros go over - they take longer to digest keeping you satiated longer.

• JillStepanik
    JillStepanik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is it close to your time of the month? That usually makes me so hungry regardless of foods eaten. .. Try reaching for some fruit or veggies for fiber. Also grab water and drink some when you feel like your hunger won't go away. Often times our bodies recognize thirst as hunger!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Drink some water you might just be thirsty

Eat proteins and fats.

Ignore it if you know you have eaten enough.