Did you take before photos?

Options
So what do you guys think about before and after photos? Did you take it the first day you joined MFP or did you wait? Does it good for motivation, did you put them up somewhere?

Also if anyone wants to friend me I am 6 foot 3, weight 280 lbs and I want to lose around 100 lbs. I am new to MFP so I am trying to figure things out.
Thanks!

Replies

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    All of my photo albums are full of before photos ... I've been taking them my entire life. That being said, I do have my eye on a particular group of photos that I'm 100% certain are from my highest weight ever.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No, I did not but oh how I wish I had. I did have a few pictures, given that some of us avoid cameras like the plague! The before pictures are very important, at times when you don't see the scale moving or just don't think much is happening being able to compare photos can be what will keep you in the game. Take them, even if they are just for yourself (meaning you will never post them). I would suggest the help of a trusted friend if you dare and get good front - back and side shots!

Good luck!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I did take before photos. I had some others from events but I tended to avoid getting my picture taken. They have really helped during the times when it feels like things are going slow. I can look back and see the difference the past year has made. Plus, I now have something to post in the success boards once I decide to do such.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I didn't take "before" photos but as JamestheLiar said my adult life (since college) is full of them. I definitely love taking photos now ;)
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I took before pictures and I was horrified, but down the road, I was so glad I did! I was starting to get discouraged because I feel like I've been 'at this forever' and I'm still not small! So I took new pictures, same outfit, same pose, and put them side by side. It only showed me how far I've come! It's helped reiterate that this is not a 'quick fix' this is a lifestyle change! The person I saw now compared to my 'before' stood a little taller, had a little bigger smile, and just looked healthier! So I wasn't at my goal yet, but I could see I was on the right track!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of pictures from my heaviest but I didn't take them specifically as "before" pics.. just pictures I was tagged in at various things at that time. It might have been helpful to take some at a few angles for comparison, but having started and stopped losing weight a million times before, it's hard to know when it's truly the "before" and not just another start-over. No harm in taking them! It is nice having something to compare to.
  • viktorija32
    viktorija32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a picture taken recently and I dont like what I see in it :) I started a diet recently and this app really works for me. I need to loose 13kg..so its a mission. Hopefully on the way to my goal I will start to like my pictures.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes - I took pictures in a bikini on day 1 and about every 1-2 months after in the same bikini, same mirror, some poses - front/side/back. I just keep them for me and refer to them often to remember the progress I've made. And there are months where the scale only changed minimally, but i could see the changes in the pictures.

Everyone should do this!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Like many, I wish I had actual before photos. I have a few from social situations, but after I'd already lost 50 or so pounds is when I started taking my first actual progress photos. I take them just about every month (unless scheduling is an issue).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Just got my hubby to take my pictures on Sunday. I'm only down a few pounds so far so that will do. I don't have many photos of me since I avoid the camera completely, unless I'm on the other end of it. I think that's one reason I like being "the photographer"... I'm not in any pictures that way.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I didn't start taking photos until about 2 weeks after starting MFP. I actually really regret this because I actually started working on my weight a year prior to joining MFP and have very few pics of me at my heaviest.
  • Blake3693
    Blake3693 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As crappy as I felt about the way I looked, I did it the first day I decided to start losing weight (about a year ago) and I'm definitely happy that I did. When you're feeling unmotivated or lazy some days, and just don't feel like going to the gym or for a run, its awesome to be able to pull up the old photos of yourself and compare them to what you look like now. It can be the ultimate motivator and it always kicks my butt into gear seeing how far I've come and knowing what I can accomplish if I keep pushing myself!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    Did you take before photos?

Not specifically not. But I do have photos from before.

And now I have some "almost after" photos. :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    No. I wish I had. I'm not even sure a photo at my very highest weight exists, though I have plenty that make me cringe even so.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a pile of pictures....I keep them close by so I never forget, or get complacent.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I did not take before photos. When I tried to lose weight before I did take them. I usually ended up more sad/angry with myself for letting myself get to that point. They did not give me motivation.

This time around I decided to do everything different compared to when I tried to lose before. That included no before pics. I do have an image of my scale showing heaviest known weight burned into my head though.

I do wish I had some photos of when I was larger or even at my heaviest. It would be great to have more before and after pics. I ran from the camera for years!

I did save a pair of my largest shorts that was getting tight on me when I started. Now I can comfortably fit into one leg which is still so crazy to me. It reminds me how far I have come and even though I'm maintaining to keep going by working hard everyday to stay here.

• thatnymanchick
    thatnymanchick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the wonderful replies back to my thread. I guess that I should plan on getting some before photos taken sometimes soon (probably just take them of myself today.) thanks greatly!