Lifting - am I making progress or just wasting my time?

Options
christch
christch Posts: 238 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm relatively new to SL 5x5 and have only been lifting a few weeks on my own. Prior to that I was working with PT on a very similar programme. I'm 5'10, 68kg/150lb and 42 yr old woman. My lifts are increasing in weight but very very slowly and I don't know if I'm actually making progress or just wasting my time. DL now at 68 kg, bench 25kg though took 3 weeks to go from 20 to 25kg, squat - front 25kg but can do 30kg but without rack struggle to get it up, so occasionally do 20kg goblet squat, seated shoulder press db10kg - hyper-extend back when trying to do OH press, and seated rows on machine 30 kg.
The gym I go to has limited equipment (lots of low weight db, a couple of barbells and plates, lots of cardio machines, smith machine, and various other weight machines) and not set up for real lifting so I'm trying to do my best and some days its really hard.
Eating at maintenance with plenty of Protein (about 150-170g most days) Fats= 60-70 grams and rest carbs usually about 175 grams, as I know you need to eat to grow muscle. I'm trying to work on recomp as opposed to bulk and cut as I don't think I have the patience for it.
What I'd like to know is how long before you start to see any real changes. I know I'm tall with long limbs so its different to someone whose a bit more compact. Back and arms are starting to show nice development just the rest that there doesn't seem any change.
Please any advice or tips would be most welcome. I know I need to have patience but ....

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a rack, that's likely to slow you on squats more than anything else. Maybe switch from strong lifts to a more dumbbell based program?

And overhead press is a pain, and notoriously slow to progress.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    From your description it sounds to me like you're marking progress, since the definition of progress is that you're moving ahead and you definitely have done that. You're over 40 though, so you can't expect super fast gains anymore. Your body is just a little older than it once was. If it takes 3 weeks to add 5kg then so be it, you're still making progress. Keep doing what you're doing!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Recomp requires a lot of patience, more than bulk and cut. It can take months just to start to see progress. It's taken me about 3 months to notice any real change and that's quicker than it is for many.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It takes many months and years to see real progress. You have to settle in for the long haul, there's no way around it.
  • christch
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I may have to look into a new gym then. This one runs out of db at 14kg.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider is a "clean bulk" - eating roughly enough calories above maintenance to equal the amount of lean muscle you'd like to put on. It's easier to put on muscle than doing a recomp, and doesn't get you as fluffy as a dirty, both trotters in the trough bulk.
  • christch
    Options
    How would I work that out? I think I'm sitting at 28% maybe wee bit less bf, the Tanita scales say I'm at 30 but I don't think they're reliable. Like to get to btwn 22 -25% bf. Is 5kg lean muscle a reasonable amount to gain or is it even doable? All I really want is to not look skinny fat replace the wobbly bits with muscle and look 'hot' for a 'middle aged woman' Not asking much lol
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are making progress. But you need a different gym. Or a different program. I prefer dumbbells myself, obviously not for all exercises, but this does not work if you cannot have dumbbells that are heavier.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    How would I work that out? I think I'm sitting at 28% maybe wee bit less bf, the Tanita scales say I'm at 30 but I don't think they're reliable. Like to get to btwn 22 -25% bf. Is 5kg lean muscle a reasonable amount to gain or is it even doable? All I really want is to not look skinny fat replace the wobbly bits with muscle and look 'hot' for a 'middle aged woman' Not asking much lol

Roughly 300 cals over maintenance on your lift days, maintenance on the others would be a good start. Your macros look reasonable...maybe even a little heavier on protein than need be, but if lack of carbs doesn't bother you than it's all good. Adjust calories as you go along...every body's a little different. If you find yourself getting too fluffy, do a deficit for a bit and just maintain your lifts without trying to progress. Assuming you haven't lifted in the past, 5kg of additional lean muscle should be well within your genetic potential.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Your are making progress
    Lifting is never a waste of time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would cut some before doing a recomp. If you are around 28% bf, that's a lot to try to lose through such a slow method. Cut then decide if you want to recomp or bulk.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    It takes many months and years to see real progress. You have to settle in for the long haul, there's no way around it.

You have to be patient, trust the process and keep checking the boxes. I garuntee most of the people you look to for inspiration are 5+ years in to lifting. You have to put in the time.

forever-small.jpg

Same can be said for strength!!
  • christch
    Options
    I'm a bit worried about doing a cut. Was under eating down to 1200cal late last year and doing heaps of cardio got down to 64 kg looked dreadful and was losing muscle AND still skinny fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried about doing a cut. Was under eating down to 1200cal late last year and doing heaps of cardio got down to 64 kg looked dreadful and was losing muscle AND still skinny fat.

I have my doubts that you are even eating at maintenance right now. If I go by the high end of your macro estimates:

protein 170 g x 4 cal = 680 cal
    fat 70 g x 9 cal = 630 cal
    carbs 175 g x 4 cal = 700 cal
    Total = 2010 cal

That's a pretty low TDEE for a 5'10" 150 lb woman.

How many days are you lifting? Are you doing any other exercise? How active are you in your everyday life?
  • christch
    Options
    Had pt session last night. Have to go back to dumbbells as hit wall with DL as singificantly stronger left than right and pulling form off. So now lots of single leg work, curls, leg press, glute work, and arms with db press, A press and a single arm thing where you push kettlebell straight up when lying down. Any other ideas would be great.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already have it figured out. If you have an imbalance, do iso-lateral work. If it's a particular hamstring, quad or glute do all of the things you mentioned. Lunges, split squats, db dl, single leg dl. If it's an upper body imbalance focus on dumbbell and iso cable work.
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm sorta right there with you: 5'7", down to 123lb, but at 27.5% body fat. Started doing weights roughly two months ago in a total shift away from cardio. Don't really look or feel like I've made any advancement whatsoever even though I can lift a bit more weight now that I could in the beginning. Going to nutritionist on Monday to get BF% remeasured. I'm pretty much happy with the entirety of my body with one notable exception - my belly roll. (My thighs are so toned now I don't want to increase weights for lower body otherwise my skinny jeans will be too tight in the legs!)

Seems no matter what I do I can't get rid of the belly roll. (And I'm still eating at deficit - 1250cal.) Am frustrated and fedup!