Light-Headed

Options
Hey everyone!

So, I've been officially back on the healthy lifestyle/weight loss bandwagon for a week now.
I am looking to lose about 10 more pounds. I'm having a reoccurring problem though.
I did WW 6 years ago when I was a teen and I lost 61 pounds, I started fainting though for the first time in my life. Once, it happened in church and I was taken to the hospital, where they told me that it was just a migraine. Well, it was the scariest thing ever and I hope it never happens again! However, I am experiencing light-headedness again whenever I get up from laying down or sitting down. I've talked to my doctor about it and she told me that it's normal for young people because of your body's changes and yadada. Apparently, one patient faints every time she goes to do her hair in the morning because her arms go above her head or something.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced light headedness and if you have any tips, advice, or remedies for fixing it up!

I am eating enough and drinking plenty of water. I take a multivitamin everyday too, just as an FYI.

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me all the time, even the passing out while doing my hair thing. I hit the side of the tub, scared the crap out of my parents. I also passed out on my first day of my very first job and was taken to the hospital. They said I was dehydrated, which was probably true. I had just moved to my first apartment and didn't like the "city" water. This was between the ages of 15 and 20. The only thing I can say is that it stopped. I don't know how old you are, though. Light headedness can be from lots of things, though: dehydration, low sugar, too much sugar, just imbalance, too much caffeine will do it to me, as well. Oh and drunkenness has been known to cause dizziness, just wanted to add that for fun ;)
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! Yeah, It wouldn't be because I'm dehydrated because I drink like 12 glasses of water. I'm 19 years old, so I might not be out of the woods yet on the whole teenage imbalance causing it. I'm not sure about the sugar thing either. I have eliminated a lot of the 'bad' sugar from my diet, but I can keep an eye on it!
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Try drinking something with electrolytes and maybe taking a potassium supplement? This exact thing happened to my husband when he started our low carb diet. I added 2 potassium supplements & he hasn't had any issues.

Edit: or eat bananas & avocados - excellent sources of potassium.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like low blood pressure. If you have low blood pressure when you stand up,or sit up from laying down you can get really dizzy/light headed, vison can go black, you can faint, etc. My doc suggested eating more salty foods since there in no meds in Canada to raise it.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you should make sure your blood sugar isn't too low. If you're limiting calories, you're probably not eating much sugar. Get your doc to test your blood sugar. It might be as simple as adding a couple pieces of fruit.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you should make sure your blood sugar isn't too low. If you're limiting calories, you're probably not eating much sugar. Get your doc to test your blood sugar. It might be as simple as adding a couple pieces of fruit.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ok this COULD be more than one thing. But I'll tell you what MY problem is. I started passing out when I was in 1st grade. I didn find out till I was 18 that it was low iron and I wasn't drinking enough water. I now take a iron supplement every day and I make myself drink gobs of water. I actually got so dizzy once that I passed out in the checkout lane of wallmar! They took me to the pharmacy and took my blood preassure AND checked my blood sugar. They,for some reason,didn't believe me that all I needed was a water and something to eat! Try asking your doc about the iron thing. I do have a question tho,are you tired a lot? That's a good sighn that your iron is low. Gl Hun! And it sounds to me like you need a new doctor! People passing out IS NOT NORMAL!
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin every day that has 100% of my daily iron and I am constantly drinking water. It could be low blood sugar.. I'll have to get that checked out next time I'm at the doctors.

I don't think I get that much potassium in my diet.. I don't like bananas, but I've been eating avocados pretty regularly lately! Hmm..
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Coconut water helps me. I typically only get that feeling when my electrolytes are off balance. Coconut water is a good natural way to correct that. If you don't like bananas like I do, this will help with potassium.
  • mintin1
    mintin1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Passing out and feeling dizzy is NOT normal. If your doctor said this, I say it is time to find a new doctor! That is your body's way of telling you something is not working right. Like other people have posted, it could be from many things. Have your blood tested for potassium levels, sugar levels, iron levels, and even your thyroid. A low-active throid can cause this issue too.