Carbs

Options
Today is the first day I'm trying to go 150 or below in carbs. Last week I learned that my calories and carbs we're off the charts.

Replies

• Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    (copied from mirror carb thread lol.)

Use wraps instead of bread for sandwiches. one wrap will be 60-90 calories depending on type/brand compared to 140-200 calories for two slices of bread. Find tasty dressings and condiments that are lower calorie and only use 1-2 tbsp.

There are veggie alternatives to pastas if you must eat pasta. I haven't looked into them personally but they are out there. As long as i stay away from pasta i don't really go over my carb limits on MFP. Even when I eat steamed rice at Panda Express.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies!!! keep your fat & protein intake up -you might get a little tired or cranky for the first few days - it will pass - Eastcoast Jim
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Best of success. While it was not easy for me at first I am glad I cut way back on carbs.
  • Shandazzle
    Shandazzle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need to watch my calories and carbs need help!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Shandazzle wrote: »
    I need to watch my calories and carbs need help!

an open diary is a good start, then people can make suggestions based on what you're doing now - Diary / Settings - scroll down to lower left and set to Public

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For you guys who starting a low carb diet and having trouble , a good way to do it is start by removing refined carbs from your diet - they are the real problem - sort of sneak up on it - Eastcoast Jim
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    For you guys who starting a low carb diet and having trouble , a good way to do it is start by removing refined carbs from your diet - they are the real problem - sort of sneak up on it - Eastcoast Jim

• TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What are refined carbs examples please
  • raxelita
    raxelita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you can just avoid flour (in bread, cookies, cakes, pizza, pasta etc)I think you'll get by fine and not have to worry so much about counting carbs. I'd still recommend eating some beans, rice, potatoes (sweet and reg), and starchy vegetables along with proteins and fruits, veg, nuts, and dairy.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »

FRUIT JUICES except for lemon/lime juice.

ALL KINDS OF FLOUR including wheat, oat, legume (pea and bean), rice, and corn flours. 100% stoneground, whole meal flours are less refined and not as unhealthy as other types of flours because they are not as finely ground and take longer to digest.
    Most bread, even whole wheat, multi grain, but especially all white bread, all bakery goods ( sweet rolls, cookies,or anything baked ), most kinds of pasta, white rice

INSTANT/REFINED GRAINS including instant hot cereals like instant oatmeal, white rice, polished rice, and instant rice

REFINED STARCHES such as corn starch, potato starch, modified food starch–essentially any powdered ingredient with the word “starch” in it

Any sweetener including honey, Agave syrup and Maple syrup

All desserts except whole fruit
    Ice cream, sherbet, frozen yogurt, etc
    Most breads
    Many crackers (100% stone-ground whole grain crackers are less refined)
    Cookies
    Cakes
    Muffins
    Pancakes
    Waffles
    Pies
    Pastries
    Candy
    Chocolate (dark, milk and white). Baker’s chocolate is unsweetened and is therefore an exception.
    Breaded or battered foods
    All types of dough (phyllo, pie crust, etc)
    Most cereals except for unsweetened, 100% whole grain cereals in which you can see the whole grains in their entirety with the naked eye (unsweetened muesli, rolled oats, or unsweetened puffed grain cereals are good examples)
    Most pastas, noodles and couscous
    Jello® (sugar-free varieties exist but it’s much healthier to make your own with unsweetened gelatin and fresh fruit)
    Jellies, jams and preserves
    Bagels
    Pretzels
    Pizza (because of the flour in the dough)
    Puddings and custards
    Corn chips
    Caramel corn and kettle corn
    Most granola bars, power bars, energy bars, etc (unless labelled sugar-free).
    Rice wrappers
    Tortillas (unless 100% stone-ground whole grain)
    Most rice cakes and corn cakes (unless labelled 100% whole grain)
    Panko crumbs
    Croutons
    Fried vegetable snacks like green beans and carrot chips (usually contain added dextrin, a sweet starch)
    Ketchup
    Honey mustard
    Most barbecue sauces
    Check labels on salsa, tomato sauces, salad dressings and other jarred/canned sauces for sugar/sweeteners
    Sweetened yogurts and other sweetened dairy products
    Honey-roasted nuts
    Sweetened sodas
    Chocolate milk (and other sweetened milks)
    Condensed milk
    Hot cocoa
    Most milk substitutes (almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc) because they usually have sugar added–read label first
    Sweet wines and liqueurs

I know this partial list looks scary. But it's just for information and you have to decide where you want to make cuts, how many and how hard core.
    Just decide on a few easy things : for me it was no contest to leave out all bakery good and all sugary food, because I don't like anything sweet, while corn tortillas were very difficult and I now often eat three a day, because I have no problem with corn and corn tortillas, but not the flour ones are otherwise healthy . I got fat on overeating rice and pasta and cut out rice for 18 month and pasta for over two years, because moderation was not possible, but am much more in control now.
    Just make a few choices that are not to difficult and make small steps.
    Good Luck !

• JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've given up white food (rice, pasta bread, etc) and keep my carbs under or at 40 grams a day. I'm at around 900 cals, less than 200 on the cholesterol, under 2500 on the sodium and fat at around 25-30 on a daily basis. I eat quite at bit of food and satisfied. For my age and situation this is how I've lost the 23 lbs so far. I take supplements as well, multi, calcium and a few others. My doc says if I feel good, getting good sleep and exercise ... so be it. All my vitals have completely leveled off in the good to great ranges. Yeah... I know I'll get crap from people on this site but this has been my recipe now for several months and feel great.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm one who limits refined carbs (though I don't label them "white" as they come in many colors and potatoes are white for example, though I get the sentiment).
    I find that when I limit refined carbs, and eat plenty of fibrous whole foods, it's SO SO SO SO much easier to eat within my goals. I don't feel like I'm battling with myself.
    The end result is lower carbs than the typical S.A.D. eater, and I'm fine with that.
    I also find that when I eat "my way" I have fewer menopausal symptoms. Win, win.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My carbs are 165 a day (and hoping to increase).. I eat quinoa for breakfast, and baked potato/sweet potato for lunch and dinner & also bananas, papaya and pineapple.. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you're used to it it seems like a lot!
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also avoid the "refined" carbs, such as white rice and white pasta since I am pre-diabetic and need to watch my sugar levels. However, all of the whole grains and legumes (beans) are what help to keep me feeling "full" -- satiety is a wonderful feeling! 100% Whole Wheat Pasta & Breads, plus quinoa, beans and brown rice are all delicious and satisfying with plenty of veggies to go along with them. I can stick to this type of a healthy eating plan much better because I can eat foods that help me to feel full. Try it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »
    My carbs are 165 a day (and hoping to increase).. I eat quinoa for breakfast, and baked potato/sweet potato for lunch and dinner & also bananas, papaya and pineapple.. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you're used to it it seems like a lot!

How many grams of refined carbs a day?
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use Healthy Life - 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread (35 Cal), 2 Slices (41g), it is only 70 calories for a sandwich if you use two slices. taste good too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    TacoTina wrote: »

FRUIT JUICES except for lemon/lime juice.

ALL KINDS OF FLOUR including wheat, oat, legume (pea and bean), rice, and corn flours. 100% stoneground, whole meal flours are less refined and not as unhealthy as other types of flours because they are not as finely ground and take longer to digest.
    Most bread, even whole wheat, multi grain, but especially all white bread, all bakery goods ( sweet rolls, cookies,or anything baked ), most kinds of pasta, white rice

INSTANT/REFINED GRAINS including instant hot cereals like instant oatmeal, white rice, polished rice, and instant rice

REFINED STARCHES such as corn starch, potato starch, modified food starch–essentially any powdered ingredient with the word “starch” in it

Any sweetener including honey, Agave syrup and Maple syrup

All desserts except whole fruit
    Ice cream, sherbet, frozen yogurt, etc
    Most breads
    Many crackers (100% stone-ground whole grain crackers are less refined)
    Cookies
    Cakes
    Muffins
    Pancakes
    Waffles
    Pies
    Pastries
    Candy
    Chocolate (dark, milk and white). Baker’s chocolate is unsweetened and is therefore an exception.
    Breaded or battered foods
    All types of dough (phyllo, pie crust, etc)
    Most cereals except for unsweetened, 100% whole grain cereals in which you can see the whole grains in their entirety with the naked eye (unsweetened muesli, rolled oats, or unsweetened puffed grain cereals are good examples)
    Most pastas, noodles and couscous
    Jello® (sugar-free varieties exist but it’s much healthier to make your own with unsweetened gelatin and fresh fruit)
    Jellies, jams and preserves
    Bagels
    Pretzels
    Pizza (because of the flour in the dough)
    Puddings and custards
    Corn chips
    Caramel corn and kettle corn
    Most granola bars, power bars, energy bars, etc (unless labelled sugar-free).
    Rice wrappers
    Tortillas (unless 100% stone-ground whole grain)
    Most rice cakes and corn cakes (unless labelled 100% whole grain)
    Panko crumbs
    Croutons
    Fried vegetable snacks like green beans and carrot chips (usually contain added dextrin, a sweet starch)
    Ketchup
    Honey mustard
    Most barbecue sauces
    Check labels on salsa, tomato sauces, salad dressings and other jarred/canned sauces for sugar/sweeteners
    Sweetened yogurts and other sweetened dairy products
    Honey-roasted nuts
    Sweetened sodas
    Chocolate milk (and other sweetened milks)
    Condensed milk
    Hot cocoa
    Most milk substitutes (almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc) because they usually have sugar added–read label first
    Sweet wines and liqueurs

I know this partial list looks scary. But it's just for information and you have to decide where you want to make cuts, how many and how hard core.
    Just decide on a few easy things : for me it was no contest to leave out all bakery good and all sugary food, because I don't like anything sweet, while corn tortillas were very difficult and I now often eat three a day, because I have no problem with corn and corn tortillas, but not the flour ones are otherwise healthy . I got fat on overeating rice and pasta and cut out rice for 18 month and pasta for over two years, because moderation was not possible, but am much more in control now.
    Just make a few choices that are not to difficult and make small steps.
    Good Luck !

With respect to these: some are spot on, some aren't. Most commercial pizza, including chain restaurants, has refined carbs in the flour AND the sauce. But yes.
    As for the milk substitutes: yes, READ THE LABEL. Hell, read the label on EVERYTHING. And learn the various various various names sugar is labeled as.