B-12 Vitamins?

Options
I have been reading a lot about how B-12 can help promote weight loss. I was wondering if anyone else on MFP is using it or has taken it and they could tell a difference and that it really helped! Or I might be completely crazy and wrong and read it in unreliable magazines.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin B12 but I don't eat meat, so it was recommended by my doctor. I never really heard about the weight loss benefits, but if it is true, it makes sense. I'm interested in seeing the responses to this one!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I take it because my body is naturally low in B-12 (doctor did blood work). I take a multivitamin plus a B-12 supplement and notice zero difference from the before to after in regards to weight loss or even how I feel. My blood work is now good so I know I absorb it, it just doesn't make a difference.

Honestly, I don't believe many of the claims that vitamin X promotes weight loss, or drink tons of green tea to boost your metabolism. Sure, it may help, but probably by negligible amounts.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I swear by it. Seems to give me more energy, and they say it boosts metabolism. I also find that if I take some extra just before my TOM (sorry, guys) I don't get cramps or bloating.

I take the liquid form, as someone told me you get more out of liquid vitamins. Haven't tried it any other way, so I couldn't speak for that personally.
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    Hmmm...so probably shouldn't invest in some unless I'm low in that area?
  • TMoni14
    TMoni14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I receive weekly B-12 injections from my physician's office to increase my energy level, so my activity level increases. B-12 alone will not help you lose weight.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take two multi vitamins every day. One when I get up and one about lunch time. They help with your energy level, and keep it nice and level. I can always tell when I forget to take one of them.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have to give myself injections because my body does not absorb it thru digestion, when I started them and since I've been taking them, I haven't noticed any effect on my wieght. you still have to work for it.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    well they have b12 shots at the doctors office that usually has fat burner to make you loose weight, but b12 is suppose to give you extra energy which makes you burn more cals...so that's why you would love weight from just the vitamin
    Now the shots and the liquid make me really sleepy
    but the vitamins work just fine for me... i'm not sure if i could say def it's the b12 that helps the most cause I take othere vitamins and workout a lot and i'm on a strick diet
    but I have recently heardt that it is suppose to help keep mosquitos from biting
  • Macy_R
    Macy_R Posts: 91
    Options
    I swear by it. Seems to give me more energy, and they say it boosts metabolism. I also find that if I take some extra just before my TOM (sorry, guys) I don't get cramps or bloating.

I take the liquid form, as someone told me you get more out of liquid vitamins. Haven't tried it any other way, so I couldn't speak for that personally.

ok! I need energy to get me to do my workouts and I always feel weak throughout the day!
  • nicley21
    nicley21 Posts: 12
    Options
    I take B-12 daily and it really doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't give me a boost of energy like I thought it would and I don't think my weight loss has been enough to contribute to the vitamin. I've lost 9 pounds so far since April but I believe that is just because I cut out processed foods and cut my calories. It certainly won't hurt to take them b/c we all need vitamins but don't expect a huge weight loss. My doctor did tell me however, that simply taking 500 mg of calcium and D3 twice a day should help. I had a deficiency and was gaining weight and this stopped it.