I know I'm being ridiculous but....

Options
I'm so insanely nervous/anxious to join a gym. I would in a heartbeat if my social anxiety wasn't so bad. I'm afraid of looking like a chicken with its head cut off because I don't know what specific exercises to do and where everything is located. I don't want to look like a noob and do something wrong or get in anybody's way. Some say to get a personal trainer that will teach me what exercises to do and how to use the machines and what not, but does anybody have any tips or tricks to this? I know I sound ridiculous. I'm sorry. Hope everyone is having a good night! Xoxo

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It depends on the gym, but some places have a free session where the trainer(s) show you around the gym and show you how to use the equipment. Try asking the front desk about an introductory appointment or something.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Everyone looks goofy when they first join a gym. My tip: Just go do it. Everyone's too busy concentrating on themselves to worry about what you are doing :) In a couple weeks you'll be settled in and may even meet a couple new gym buddies to workout with and learn from. Highly recommend the personal trainer! I been on and off in the gym for years and thought I was doing everything correctly until my trainer showed me. Now I have a much more effective workout and confident when I go in.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Not ridiculous at all. Most gyms will give you a free session with a trainer upon joining. If not, you can ask them about the machines, as most would be happy to help you out. It's normal to feel apprehensive but once you get the first couple of sessions out of the way, it will get better I promise. Before you know it, you'll be owning the joint. Just do it.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Getting a trainer session is a great idea for lots of reasons and this is just one more :)
    I promise it will be fine -- people really are in their own zones at the gym.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Not at all ridiculous. Everyone feels that way at first. Agreed with the trainer suggestions. You could also go at a really oddball time your first few times (right at the open or an hour before close) when it's quieter and you are less likely to encounter anyone else.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel this way. We've all been new before. Nobody will judge you. And honestly ,people are so worried about themselves that they likely won't notice you at all. ( people stare at their phones, TVs, or watch themselves in the mirror . they aren't worried about looking at others at all)
    But if your still nervous, just have an employee show you around. They will be happy to, its their job! Have them walk you around and show you the place so you'll be more comfortable.
    Another option, have a friend go with you the first day. Explain to the gym manager that you have social anxiety and would feel better if you where allowed to have a buddy come along for the first day. They will give you a guest pass for your friend .
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Find the cutest guy in the place and ask him for help ;) Seriously though I bet everyone there would be completely and totally helpful. Most people like to be of service.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Join a place that offers classes. It will make you feel more comfortable and if you decide to add other things to your routine after a while, you will already feel familiar with the place
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are lots of seemingly "wrong" ways to use equipment, but us gym veterans understand that using a machine in an unconventional way is just for adding variety to hit a muscle group a different way. For instance, sitting sideways in an upright row machine using only 1 arm to hit lats & serratus...no one can give you crap for doing the exercise "wrong"!

Overtime, learn from observation from gym veterans/elders. You can always bring a friend too or just go when the gym is empty. Nothing to worry about, no 1 is critiquing your form...just don't use a squat rack to do barbell curls!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm so insanely nervous/anxious to join a gym.

So what are you wanting to achieve. You don't need to enter a gym if you don't want to.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Get the orientation session

Most people have a litte adjustment time when joining.

After a while you may meet a few new friends

My gym is huge and I have met a dozen people over the last few years.

It will be ok. You can worry about it, it just won't help anything, but you already know that
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer and it's probably the best decision I've made in my life. Totally changed my life.
    He's motivated me, he challenged me to my limits and beyond, I've learned a lot about myself and fitness and I've seen progress that I never saw working out on my own.
    It's not cheap but considering how much I was spending on anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, junk food before I'm probably saving money in the long run. Can't go wrong with investing in yourself.
    I highly recommend it to anyone if you can afford it.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety too but I made a promise to myself a long time ago to face it head on and stop letting it decide my life for me. My advice just take the plunge. People like us prepare for the worst and it's never as bad as we think it will be. Once that first session is over it will be a breeze. When you go to fill out the paperwork just ask the Gym people to give you a tour of the place and any machines you are confused about just ask for a demo on. They will be happy to assist. Be brave and take a stand against your fears, you will be much happier and proud of yourself after. :)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It's not ridiculous at all. I too suffer from anxiety. I actually quit the gym because I felt everyone there was judging me, making fun of me in their mind or to each other, whatever. I felt like crap when I was there, and felt like crap for quitting. I hated myself.

I eventually got back to it, realizing the benefits had to outweigh the bad thoughts. Unfortunately, this isn't easy for anyone who suffers from Social Anxiety as some of us do. It's going to require quite a bit of work on your part. You will constantly have to remind yourself that no one's even giving you a second thought. Somehow forget everyone else is there. As Soundwave79 says, it's never as bad as we think, but you have to try to even find that out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ah anxiety, i feel you
    if you want to go to a gym
    go poke your head in and look around
    ask for a tour
    ask for help with the machines or weights
    relax, everyone is busy with their own workouts, no one is worried about you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Every gym membership I've ever had came with 1-3 free sessions. You're not expected to be born knowing how to use the machines :)

By all means, get a few additional sessions with a trainer.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your place of employment provides a gym for employees....oftentimes they will have a trainer there full time that can show you around, and perhaps you can request a time when there aren't as many people around. And you will be a newbie until you get some practice....no shame in that!! People at gyms are usually pretty supportive.... :) Good luck.
  • Hippopotamouse
    Hippopotamouse Posts: 11 Member
    Options

So what are you wanting to achieve. You don't need to enter a gym if you don't want to.

I want to join a gym. My social anxiety stands in the way. But you all will be happy to know that I signed up for a membership today!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I want to join a gym.

The point of the question is why do you want to join a gym?

If it's to improve your fitness then there are plenty ways to do that without committing yourself to doing it indoors.

That also rather neatly deals with the social anxiety issue. I can do a 15 mile training run and count on one hand the number of people I'll see.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I want to join a gym. My social anxiety stands in the way. But you all will be happy to know that I signed up for a membership today!

Good job OP! You got this!