Kashi Peanutty Dark Chocolate

Options
4jenniferk
4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
Today while in the grocery store on my lunch hour I found myself in the bakery looking for birthday cake ideas for my seven year old daughter and fought the urge to grab something for myself. I came across the kashi brand which I have never tried before. I thought the Peanutty Dark Chocolate layered granola bars sounded yummy so I grabbed a box and tossed them in the cart. I have to say... I really wasn't that impressed but the reason is, I like bitter dark chocolate and nothing beats the combination of my two favorites chocolate and peanut butter but the stuff on the top of the granola bar didn't taste like dark chocolate. I actually couldn't even figure out what exactly it tasted like. I love peanut butter and I have sacrificed for the sake of my diet since the calories are so high for such a small portion.

These bars or this particular flavor didn't do much for me.

Any suggestions on a good sweet satisfying alternative that tastes good?

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you love a good dark chocolate, why substitute? I say if you want it, have it - but in small portions and not everyday. Treats are just that - something we treat ourselves to on occasion. Buy a small bar - Dagoba makes small bars - and eat just a few squares. You can stay within your calorie range and still satisfy that craving!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My fiance just bought Keebler Granola Peanut Fudge Bar thingies lol
    They are 150 calories (probably not the healthiest of choices in terms of sugar etc).
    But they were yummy :)
    Here's the link
    http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=26751
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love Vitamuffin Chocolate Vitatops. They sell them at Target and Whole Foods in the freezer section. They around 100 Cals each and taste soooooo good. If you can get away with eating a brownie why eat a granola bar?:tongue:
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you love a good dark chocolate, why substitute? I say if you want it, have it - but in small portions and not everyday. Treats are just that - something we treat ourselves to on occasion. Buy a small bar - Dagoba makes small bars - and eat just a few squares. You can stay within your calorie range and still satisfy that craving!

Good point.... portion sizes have everything in the world to do with it. I would love to see every item offered on a commercial basis have the calorie count listed right next to it on a menu or store description. What I'm refering to is store prepared items.
  • OopsieDaisy2003
    Options
    I agree with elizabeth. I try not to give up my favorites b/c then I frustrated with losing weight...maybe try getting a bag of the individually wrapped squares and put them away and only take out one or two. For Dove chocolates, a serving is 5 individually wrapped pieces and it's 210c cals.

Although, if you're looking for alternates: My husband really likes the Kellogs Fiber Bars. They're two hundred and something calories, but he says they're pretty satisfying and have that junk food taste while not being completely junk. I've also seen 100 calorie packs of dark chocolate covered almonds...I think they were Blue Diamond
  • KTalada
    KTalada Posts: 47
    Options
    I also enjoy the Atkins Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Bar. It's not really dark chocolate, but has the peanut butter-chocolate combo that is to die for & is high in both protein & fiber while being low in sugar. I seem to struggle with trying to keep my sugar levels low enough here on MFP, especially if I eat any fruit that day.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Trader Joes 100 cal dark chocolate bars. Decent dark chocolate, good with coffee.

When it comes to chocolate, I'm better off with indiv wrapped items. I can easily keep from grabbing for another. But for some reason, an open block of chocolate can be too inviting... I save those for sharing.

Oh, and making individual no pudge brownies in the micro. Not as good as when baked, but it still tastes darn good.