Supplements - what do you take/don't take?

Options

Replies

• Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Before workout and generally every day:
    Vit C - 1000
    Vit D - 1000 IU
    CoQ10 - 100 or 200 mg

Whey protein isolate post workout

Chromium picolinate periodically
    Melatonin periodically for sleep (BTW, ZMA also helps with sleep)

Multivit periodically

R

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Multi vitamin
    D3 (doctor recommended for SAD and anemia)
    B12 (also Dr. recommended for anemia)
    MSM for my joints
    Quest bar daily for the protein and the fiber

I took a high potency ferrous sulfate for a year but my hemoglobin was high enough consistently for me to stop. If it goes below 12, I will need to add it back in again.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I'm vegetarian so haven't found a suitable fish oil alternative but used to take those.

Flaxseed oil is supposed to be a decent substitute

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin (cheap insurance policy!).
    Fish oil capsule.
    Glucosamine and chondroitin (to support my various joint injuries).
    Vitamin D capsule when I'm not getting any sunshine.

Whey protein once in a while to supplement on days when I feel my protein intake is low or to aid recovery from extreme exercise.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I take pre-workout most of the time, and use protein powder a lot, other than that, nothing, never have
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    multivitamin, coq10, zyflamend, and right now sublingual b12

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned zyflamend. I'm a big fan.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I take Vits A - E - I was diagnosed earlier this year with a Vit D deficiency, I am really prone to mouth ulcers (including one I had in my throat recently - miserable) blood work is fine but evidence suggests could be a Vit B deficiency (I have them less now I have started taking a complex B vitamin). I also take A and E as they help with Vit D absorption and I take Vit C with Zinc as an immune system boost (although I am well aware that it's negligible that it helps) but it doesn't do me any harm. I generally alternate the Vit B and E to every other day as that's what works for me.

I'm vegetarian so haven't found a suitable fish oil alternative but used to take those.

Obviously, ideally I wouldn't take any and I would be able to get all of this from food and environment but in my experience it doesn't always work like that, sometimes your body just screws up.

Years ago a doctor told me that Lecithin helps with canker sores. I take it off and on (not sure how much it has helped). The biggest change was using toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate. That has made a huge difference.

I also take a multi (half the dose) and fish oil when I have it (I never eat seafood).
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

besee_2000, how's all that working out for you?

Fish Oil + Vit D The oil helps absorption for Vit D and maybe a few others. I take a few of these on an empty stomach (yeah yeah yeah, eat with a meal for better absorption. Well i don't play by your rules!) In the beginning it helped my mood a lot but the effect has tapered since.
    Maca Root Yes its for libido, kinda worked but over time that too has dulled.
    Gotu Kola Heard on a podcast it helps skin if taken over months of time. It was cheap and if it helps tighten skin well hells yes (I know this is probably BS but its my hobby!)
    L-carninthe Got this spelled wrong I'm sure, but I think it gives me an edge in my Crossfit WOD
    BCAA Great help with fasting. Hunger pangs dilute nicely with it
    5-HTP another mood one. I cycle on and off but on off days I can feel depression/no motivation start to sink in
    GABA Don't notice much with this but I hope it helps with sleep and muscle repair. I don' take it every night.
    Alpha-lipoic acid I smell this in the urine but I can't remember exact details but it helps detox body for like lactic acid build up and environment troubles
    Caffeine FAVORITE
    Magnesium Rest, recovery, and hope to reverse birth control residuals
    sometimes
    Garlic Oil/Green Tea/ CLA To buffer bad eating days

Now I will note I don't get sick. I don't use an alarm clock and wake up on time. I also feel I recover from muscle soreness well enough despite 6-7days/week workouts. I'm not an athlete but I do pretty well.
  • sonyaruns
    sonyaruns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin plus extra vitamin d
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Up until about 2 months ago I took pre-workout before every session, protein shake & Aminos after every session.

As I've grown increasingly concerned to the longer term health of my organs I've pretty much dropped everything aside from pre workout when I train in a morning after an evening session the night before (once a week tops) & some protein powder mixed in with my pancake batter (ie one shakes worth over 2 days). Dropped the Aminos altogether
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I take B12 every day because I don't eat many animal products. I take iron a couple times a week. I should take vitamin D as well, but I spend a lot of time outside so I'm not sure it's really necessary lol.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    PRE Platinum (pre-workout drink)
    Multi vitamin
    Fish oil
    Whey Protein powder (ON Gold Standard)
    ZMA
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just for fun I take:
    Probiotic

Dr requested I take:
    Vitamin D
    Iron
    Vitamin B Complex

I just read the Depression Cure and tapered completely off Anti Depressants that I have been on for 13 years. As a result I take
    MultiVitamin
    Vitamin C
    Fish Oil
    Primrose Oil

Am reading the Diet Cure and just ordered L-Glutamine 1,000 mg Caps, 120 ct

I do wonder how long I am supposed to keep this up...indefinitely or do you eventually get regulated and not need stuff?

I have more energy and feel better than I did on Antidepressants.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I take probiotics and vitamin D. I have some digestive issues and the probiotics are helpful. It's hard for me to get enough vitamin D from the sun, and my levels are low.
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    multivitamin,probiotics,iron
    1shot of apple cider vinegar
    1teaspoon honey
    alcohol as needed;)
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin.
    Fish oil
    Green tea extract
    Whey protein
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Pre workout NO3 BCAA mix

MCT or coconut oil
    Fish oil
    Baby aspirin
    85% dark chocolate and pistachio nuts daily for heart health. I eat them as a prevention thing so I call it a nutritional supplement to my diet wether I want to eat it or not.

It works for me

110 over 60's bp

Resting heart rate around 48-52

Hard to tell how much is a result of exercise only or the addition of diet and supplements to exercise.

I don't quibble with success

It works.

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How's the CLA working for those who are taking it?

Appears as though I'm the only one trying CLA. It's been about a week. Weight-wise I'm probably where I should be taking into account what I've been consuming in the past week, a lot of hops and barley, so like with a lot of supplements, if you eat like crap, no supplement is going to be the magic bullet.

@echmainfit619 interesting point about fish oil, didn't check your link out but I will. I've never heard anything negative about fish oil.

@christinev297 CLA, time will tell maybe. I have seen a lot of "stacks" along with caffeine and green tea, etc, with CLA, but not sure how CLA plays into that.

@michelle7673 good gouge on zyflamend, never heard of it, how's that working out for you?