Anyone diabetic type 2? I need advice and help!

My Dr said my blood sugar is high and that I may be diabetic. I went to the lab for blood work and it was high 186. She wants me to start medication but I don't want to. Has anyone worked out to the point where they do not need to take medication? My Dr said it would HELP a lot if I lost weight.

I really want to start a family but she wants me to get my blood sugar levels down first. I told her I really will try this time because I am 33 and getting on the old(er) side. If anyone can help me or guide me in the right direction please send me a message or comment.

Thank you!

Replies

• shelbseroo
    shelbseroo Posts: 9 Member
    I am not diabetic but I have heard of countless people who after losing weight did not need diabetes medications any more. One of my bosses works out and lost weight and he is type 1, but not insulin dependent because of exercise.
  • aliakseipaulau
    aliakseipaulau Posts: 2 Member
    1lexisva wrote: »
    My Dr said my blood sugar is high and that I may be diabetic. I went to the lab for blood work and it was high 186. She wants me to start medication but I don't want to. Has anyone worked out to the point where they do not need to take medication? My Dr said it would HELP a lot if I lost weight.

I really want to start a family but she wants me to get my blood sugar levels down first. I told her I really will try this time because I am 33 and getting on the old(er) side. If anyone can help me or guide me in the right direction please send me a message or comment.

Thank you!

Be careful of what you eat. Stay with food that has low glycemic index. Read about that index there should be a lot of info in internet.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32
  • My brother found out he has diabetes , me changed his eating and lost 40 pounds and got off medicine and no longer has it , but he just did it , really strong willpower , me I also have it and no willpower , I need help also , let's be friends
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Depending on your lab values your Dr could have recommended you modify your diet and add exercise to do the trick. Again depending on the values he might prefer if you start the medicine. I recommend you take the drugs if your dr said so. Keep in mind that every day that your blood sugar is too high you are creating damage to your eyes kidneys and blood vessels to name a few things. To slow down the progress of the disease I believe it's good to get your blood sugar in range as soon as possible let and the drugs will help for that. This being said I strongly recommend you also change and adapt your diet to this condition and you start exercising. A lot of people once they lose the weight don't need the drugs anymore. But losing g the weight in a healthy fashion can take some time...it's been a year in my case and I lost 40lbs out of 100. So I can't imagine not controlling my blood sugar for that long.
    As for the family.. you really want a family but what you want even more is a healthy family and healthy baby. Don't handicap your child before he is even born. Please go look up the effect of uncontrolled diabetes on the baby and you will understand why your Dr wants you to reduce your blood sugar and weight before you conceived. Use this as a motivation to transform your body to make it a great environment for the baby and to fix your lifestyle so you can be a good role model for your children.
    For the record I am diabetic I was able with metformin exercise and diet to bring my a1c to 5.1. I am still taking the drug but hopefully by the time I lose that extra 60lbs my Dr his hopefully I will not need medication anymore. You can do this
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Thank you so much everyone!!
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Had an acquaintance do Wheat Bellies and MFP together and was able to fully get off medication.