Carb/Protein/Fat Ratio Advice Needed

EarthyEm
EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
Hi,

I'm 32, changing diet to lose about 30 pounds. (At 175, now.) As a kid and young adult, I was at a healthy weight, eating more heavily on the carbohydrate side. I was mostly a vegetarian, and ate plenty of veggies, fruit, grains, nut butters, cheese, etc.

I'm determining the healthiest ratio of carb/protein/fats and wondering if people who have successfully dropped the lbs. can offer some feedback on their ratios.

I'm not a HUGE fan of meat, but can def. get protein from vegetarian/vegan sources.

Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've had good success setting mine to 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Great info and links to tools for finding & setting up your calorie goals, and instructions on how to customize your settings to match here at MFP.
  • EarthyEm
    EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you!
  • DoctorShock
    DoctorShock Posts: 11 Member
    I'm currently at 20/50/30 carbs/fat/protein, which is moderately low-carb, high-fat, and helps with my satiety.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep, gotta do meat or eggs.
  • girishmenezes
    girishmenezes Posts: 11 Member
    Carbs are not the enemy. The key to weight loss is to target calories at 20% less than TDEE and the standard MFP calculator is fine in terms of macro split, especially if you are vegetarian. However, if you are building muscle, you potentially require more protein. Take your pick from 30/30/40 or 40/20/20 p/f/c.

The standard MFP macro split, calories at 20% less than TDEE, plenty of vegetables, lots of water, 8 hours of sleep and fast walking will get you shedding pounds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Macro goals are more dependent of goals. I am 45% carbs, 30% fats and 25% protein at 2500 calories for fat loss. When I bulk, carbs will go up and protein (by percentage) will decrease.