Going Camping...

Options
So me & my 2 year old son are going camping this weekend with lots of family and I ask my sister "What should I bring?" Of course I get the response "Chips, hotdogs, hamburgers, eggs, potatoes, drinks... the normal camping stuff."

Um sister I dnt eat meat & to top it off... Im on a diet....

She says "that will be interesting..." Lol.

So I need HEEELLLPPPP....

What do I bring?!

Replies

• thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    if thats what she wants then maybe veggie hot dogs? veggie burgers?? the calories and Fat % are sooooooo much lower!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips fruit, granola bars, peanuts, things that are easy to pack and easy to grab. Plenty of bottled water. Veggies to grill. I can't help with the meat substitute though, sorry. I usually do the burgers without buns, so whatever you might substitute for that.

Have fun!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    if thats what she wants then maybe veggie hot dogs? veggie burgers?? the calories and Fat % are sooooooo much lower!

I was asking for suggestions on wat to bring for me and my son to eat. Lol. She was no help. hahahah.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips fruit, granola bars, peanuts, things that are easy to pack and easy to grab. Plenty of bottled water. Veggies to grill. I can't help with the meat substitute though, sorry. I usually do the burgers without buns, so whatever you might substitute for that.

Have fun!

Yea I was considering bring the Boca Burgers. I have tried them once n they was very good.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Can't help too much with the meat - I eat the hamburgers with no bun. But what about bringing veggie burgers or black bean burgers?

As for sides, I LOVE making veggie packets while camping. Potatoes, carrots, onions and either olive oil or butter wrapped in tin foil and grilled. Do you have the camping popcorn maker thingy (yep I'm all technical) -plain popcorn is healthy. I'd also bring some raw veggies, almonds, dry cereal (I love Quaker Squares dry).

You can do this, you might just need to eat a bit differently than the rest of the group. Sit far, far away from the snack table so you aren't tempted!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Bring the same thing you eat at home.
    Bring water and gatorade instead of soda
    Bring fresh fruit, veggies and some nuts.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    And allow yourself a smore.
  • BTB806
    BTB806 Posts: 4
    Options
    How about some fruit? Apples & peaches go great with camping and are easy to pack. Also, fill a big plastic container with mixed berries & seedless grapes and keep it in the cooler. Do the same with some assorted veggies and a fat free dip if needed - or try salsa for a spicy low-cal change. You'll have something good and tasty to eat while everyone else is eating all that junk food and getting fatter!
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian also...I bring veggie kabobs, corn on the cob, veggie burgers, peanuts, fruit, veggies/dip, sweet potatos, I've even done a grilled cheese (on tin foil on the grill).
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    My hubby and I are going camping this week. We are bringing marinated chicken for one night. And some lean hamburger and wheat buns to make some burgers the next night. I think I am going to make some kind of side dish. Maybe some brown rice to have with both each night. As for breakfast, we are bringing eggs, cheese, cooked turkey bacon and some muffins for a quick egg mcmuffin. Lunches probably some lunch meat. And of course grapes, yogurt for snacks!!!!

Its easier if you plan out what you need!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Was just having this conversation with a friend of mine. We are going camping next weekend. We'll do freezer bag omlets with lots of veggies for breakfast, lunch is likely PBJ on the trail, dinner will be grilled chicken breasts and slow roasted veggies. Make veggie packets out of the heavy duty aluminum foil. Fill wtih veggies, a little EVOO and salt and pepper. Bury in the coals on the outside of the fire. Baked taters are YUMMO this way too.

Doing dutch oven pizzas one night too. I haven't decided if I'm going to make the dough, or just use the boboli crusts. Get dutch oven liners, cut crust to fit, add sauce and toppings. Place in dutch oven, and put the lid on UPSIDE down. Set the pizza on about 8 coals, and add about 8 more into the lid. Let sit for 15 minutes or so, and you've got campfire pizza! :)

I've done shrimp over the fire too. Keep the grates away from direct flame, drop the shrimp on some alum foil, add some butter and let it go. YUM!
  • Omicron
    Omicron Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had exactly this question last weekend when planning for camping. I brought my favorite spicy black bean veggie burgers, lots of fresh and frozen veggies as well as frozen fruit and bottled water. The veggie burgers were fabulous on the grill with some low cal sandwich thins for buns and the veggies did great over the fire in a foil packet.

The packet I made with chicken, Brussels sprouts, yellow onion, carrots, pea pods, broccoli, cauliflower and minced garlic was the best. I just seasoned with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb and grilled it in the packet for about 15 or 20 minutes. The veggies came out nicely done and just a little caramelized.

For breakfasts we did cereals and almond milk, frozen fruits (thawed by that time) and egg beaters with sautéed onion.

I easily stayed within my calorie goals on food, but the beer that put me over.