Trying to live a healthier life and lose 80 pounds

Options
I am trying to change my life and stop all of the bad habits that I have had for so long.

My first goal was to quit smoking, and it has now been over 6 months since I quit so I think I am ready to move on to my other goals which are to lose 80 pounds and cut back on drinking alcohol.

I am going to try to stick to my plan which is 1,880 calories a day and work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

The hardest part for me is addiction. I am really addicted to food, I use it to deal with stress and it just makes me feel good to eat. I love eating large portions because I love to feel full. I also love to drink a lot because, again, it helps me deal with stress. I come home from work and food and alcohol help me unwind. Not sure what I am going to do now to de-stress? Hopefully I will figure it out!

My biggest fear is that I will feel hungry all of the time and won't be able to stick with it. I want to make this a change for life and to be healthier, but I don't want to live the rest of my life being hungry and stressed out.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @warnerlm that is great you were able to stop smoking and bodes well that you can lose weight when you decide to do so as well.

I thought I was addicted to food too. I found out I was OK with protein and fats but was addicted to carbs in my personal case. Finally had to quit them cold turkey. That was 11 months ago and all worked out but the first two weeks were hellish.

Welcome and best of success.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • KeepGoinGirl
    Options
    Just wanted to post a quick update on how my first week is going.

Things have been going better than I expected. I was really scared that this was going to be a painful change, but Its been easier than I thought to stick to my eating and exercise plan and I have lost a little under 8lbs so far.

I know it's normal to lose a lot in the first week, and I won't see big numbers every week, but it is very motivating! I have found the community to be a very helpful resource for times when I am bored or needing motivation. The success stories are awesome! I know that it's probably going to get harder as the weeks go by, so I really hope that I can keep this going.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. Baby steps are how I am handling it. I have only l siost 12lbs of 135lbs so far but last couple of weeks have been a difficult at times, Severe pain from my herniated disc and then I now have bronchitis.
    .Which has been the hardest part due to prednisone to help with breathing. The steroid is making me want to eat constantly. But I am staying busy and on track this to will pass.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    Options
    Thanks, congrats on your loss.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    Options
    Well, I have reached 30 days and can happily say that all is going well! I have lost 16.4 pounds as of this morning and have no plans to quit! Thanks everyone for the continued support.

BTW I am now 221 days without smoking as well!
  • KeepGoinGirl
    Options
    Wanted to post an update since I just passed the 20lb mark: 21.6 lbs lost! I have logged in for 46 days in a row.

I can definitely feel a difference. The main factor that pushed me to lose weight is my blood pressure was very high and I was having chest pains. I had stage 2 hypertension when I started, and now my blood pressure is down to the pre-hypertension range and almost no chest pains anymore.

I am also 237 days without smoking, and 45 days without alcohol. Woohoo! I am sure that my liver is thanking me.

Seeing results makes me want to keep going. Thanks everyone for the continued support!
  • edwardskristy
    edwardskristy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    your story sounds just like me. I am a smoker, overweight, wind down with a margarita after work. I was recently diagnosed with type2 diabetes, I have high blood pressure, and thyroid disease, I lost 16lbs, feel better, but am still struggling with everything. Its an ongoing battle for good health