Non food "treats" after goals ideas

Options
kaysday
kaysday Posts: 256 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello all. I have over 100 pounds to lose. It seems a little overwhelming. Every time I think about it, it seems like I have so far to go. Someone told me to set little goals for myself such as 10 pounds at a time or so. I find that kind of interesting, and it seems like something that's doable. They also said to treat yourself when you reach those goals. I just want to know some ideas of non food treats that you all may do. There are things that I do on a regular anyway such as manis and pedis, therefore I wouldn't necessarily consider those treats. Just looking for some tips. Good luck on your journey everyone!!

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    mine were getting my hair done and a new tattoo.
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay, like you I have more than 100 lbs. to lose, and I've been struggling to come up with a reward system that doesn't include food. One idea I had for myself was set aside the money I had been spending on fast food and saving it for a large purchase I wouldn't otherwise get for myself (a nice, new elliptical or a camera lens). I apparently have expensive tastes because there aren't many "small" things that would really motivate me.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Ive made a thermometer that I keep on the fidge and when each time I lose a percent of my body weight I let my kids color in the thermometer in red. They get excited to color in each mark and see the thermometer move from white to red. I get excited when I hit a new percent (typically a week to two weeks) not only for me but to see them get excited.
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm using a 90 minute relaxation massage as a reward. Haven't decided at what intervals yet. Probably every 10 pounds.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    New running gear
    New cycling gear
    Race entry
    Massage
    A great bottle of wine or case of beer (ok, you may class that in "food category")
    New item of clothing
    New item of tech
    Day out to an amusement park
    Day out at a sporting event
    Music concert
    Trip to the theatre

I could go on...

• 4whirlygigs
    4whirlygigs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some people have done charm bracelets, and they get a new charm for each 10 lb loss. It's a way to visually remind yourself of your goals.
  • RobinSFoster
    RobinSFoster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    New shoes
    Hot stone massage (once I reach 50lb lost)
    New purse

I love the charm bracelet idea!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Some people have done charm bracelets, and they get a new charm for each 10 lb loss. It's a way to visually remind yourself of your goals.

What a lovely idea!

Personally, when I started losing, my "rewards" were all fitness paraphernalia. I got new earbuds with different sizes and shapes of the tips for listening to music during workouts (I have super small ears and most earbuds fall out and/or hurt). I also got an HRM, a really nice/accurate scale for my bathroom, and a food scale. My favorite was wicking workout clothes. I can't believe I ever did cardio in cotton!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    mine were getting my hair done and a new tattoo.

The only other time I've been overweight, back when the world was all black and white and the Internet was just fields, I treated myself to a tattoo when I reached my target. It's a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, because that's how I felt.

My target reward this time will be to have that tattoo covered with a different one :-)

• Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bago08 wrote: »
    Ive made a thermometer that I keep on the fidge and when each time I lose a percent of my body weight I let my kids color in the thermometer in red. They get excited to color in each mark and see the thermometer move from white to red. I get excited when I hit a new percent (typically a week to two weeks) not only for me but to see them get excited.

Do you use percentage of body weight lost, or percentage of weight lost towards your goal? The first one seems like you'd never get to 100% because then you wouldn't exist, or am I not getting the math? I really like this idea!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A new piece of clothing which shows off your current achievement?
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do you have some hobbies? If I were to plan this for myself, I'd probably add to my video game collection, pick up some new arts and crafts supplies, order some new sheet music, make a special trip to a flea market or thrift store that's out of my usual rotation of stores, take a tour of a historic house, get a new Yankee Candle, etc. This treat would be something that is not part of my normal routine to emphasize the fact that I am celebrating achieving a goal.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

What a lovely idea!

Personally, when I started losing, my "rewards" were all fitness paraphernalia. I got new earbuds with different sizes and shapes of the tips for listening to music during workouts (I have super small ears and most earbuds fall out and/or hurt). I also got an HRM, a really nice/accurate scale for my bathroom, and a food scale. My favorite was wicking workout clothes. I can't believe I ever did cardio in cotton!

I wish I had done this when I had over a hundred pounds to lose, and I don't even like to wear much jewelry!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    SO many great ideas! Here's my list:
    *New workout gear
    *New supplements to try
    *New running/gym shoes
    *Massages/facials
    *Minitrips! For big milestones, I love one or two night trips away nearby. For BIG goals, like, ones I need HUGE motivation for, a big trip to a warm place (bikini on a beach warm) works like a charm for me.
    *New clothes
    *New tattoo or piercing
    *Entering into fitness contests (double bonus of adding NEW goals with this one!)
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Pedicure, Massage, New Shoes...I like the trip to the beach idea.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Oh new shoes! Love new shoes. When I hit goal weight I'm going to try running again in the hopes that not carrying around all this fat will keep my spine from bothering me (can't run right now). This obviously will require some high quality running shoes. I can't wait!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Massage; manicure; pedicure; new purse or wallet; lingerie (last time I lost 50 lbs, I treated myself with a real silk sexy number).

I think using anything you love/like would be great. Whether that's a new game, a movie, time alone or with someone you love, playing tennis, shopping... the sky is the limit!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Jdigs88 wrote: »
    bago08 wrote: »

Do you use percentage of body weight lost, or percentage of weight lost towards your goal? The first one seems like you'd never get to 100% because then you wouldn't exist, or am I not getting the math? I really like this idea!

I actually did percentage of body weight. When I got to 10% lost I had them change colors and start over. Im up to 13% lost. They enjoy it. We did a special night out for them at the local Dave and Busters type place to celebrate. They get excited which makes me work harder.
  • midsummer174627
    midsummer174627 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I got myself a running headband at 5lbs (3% of my starting weight for comparison with other body types)

I'm planning to get some jeans at 10 lbs (5.8% of my starting weight)

Most of my rewards are going to end up being clothes because --- hello! I'll NEED new ones!

If I weren't so into clothes/workout gear, I'd probably treat myself with books or art or something. Maybe event tickets?
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So far I've earned myself a family trip to the zoo, a spa day, lots of new clothes and am working toward a new tattoo. I also immediately give away my too large clothes when I hit a new size and buy one outfit in the next smaller size to look forward to. I may not currently have a large wardrobe but it changes frequently.