I quit smoking and you will too

Options
Today is 3 weeks since I smoked my last cigarette. I started almost two years ago, when I was 22. I don't know what I was thinking except "this is not even good, I can quit anytime" and quickly, I started smoking a pack a day. I didn't do it for "social reasons" or because it "looks cool", it doesn't. It's a HUGE turnoff, and I am such a hypocrite because even when I was smoking I wouldn't date a guy that smokes. I just never saw myself as a smoker, maybe because I started later than usual (most of the smokers i know start when they are like 13) or maybe because I was in huge denial. I know I was embarrassed of my habit, I was disgusted by it, I would spend so much money on nice perfumes to try and neutralise cigarette smell, which of course didn't work. I remember looking at the pics of Victoria's secret angels smoking and thinking "damn this is why they have the perfect bodies".

Cigarette do kill cravings, I would always kill my cravings for sweets by just having a smoke, but do you know what else cigarettes kill? Your taste buds. That way, even when you DO eat, you can't taste anything and eating is something that I really enjoy so that wasn't fun.
I did smoke for less than two years, which is not too bad, but I have an incredibly addictive personality, and I thought I couldn't survive without one pack a day, sometimes two. Everyone around me would comment at one point or another on how much I smoked, even the other smokers, and I can't even begin to describe how embarrassed I would feel.

I don't even have to tell you all the bad things you're doing to your health, if you're a smoker. Also, I don't have to tell you that you will feel disgusting and anxious around people 1. because you're afraid you smell bad 2. because you're constantly planning your cigarette break. Nowadays it's harder and harder to smoke in public places, smoking is getting banned almost everywhere, which leaves smokers feeling even more anxious.
You're scared you will get fat? You're on myfitnesspal, you know what to do. Nobody gets fat because they quit smoking, or because of depression, you get fat because you overeat, the end.
I can't even begin to describe how much better, cleaner, less anxious and free I feel. Oh and my workouts got 10 times better!!
If you're a smoker, PLEASE buy Easyway by Allan Carr. Sounds cheesy but I promise it changed my life. Quit cold turkey, too. No substitutes, no cutting down. I promise you, if I could do it, anyone can.

P.S. Even though I was so determined, I must warn you, I felt incredibly strong cravings during the first 2 days, I gave myself a few days off my healthy eating plan and sucked on cherry flavoured hard candy all day. Chew gum, gum helps with mouth fixation. But i promise, THEY DO GO AWAY. I was reading experiences of the people that quit who said cravings never go away, it's a huge lie and don't let it scare you! Do something amazing for yourself!

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're happy that you did something for yourself, but please don't project. I've never, in my entire life, felt "disgusting and anxious around people". Also, I quit for nine years and went back to it, so you might want to hold off on the lectures for a while ;-)
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're happy that you did something for yourself, but please don't project. I've never, in my entire life, felt "disgusting and anxious around people". Also, I quit for nine years and went back to it, so you might want to hold off on the lectures for a while ;-)

This is why i recommend the book so strongly-it will help you to quit forever! I am trying to encourage people to quit because i strongly believe that if i could do it, anyone can. I couldn't imagine going for half an hour without cigarette. I often take long flights which were a total nightmare back then! Please do read the book, no need for substitutes, gums or patches, it's all in our heads :)
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my first-or second-language
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I've not only read the book - first in the 80s and again in the 2000s, I went to the Allen Carr Easyway clinic three times last year (you're only supposed to need to go once). They gave me my money back. It's basically NLP, and it doesn't work for everyone.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting and not letting the first few days of craving scare you off. Your method may not work for everyone but it has worked for many others including, thankfully, you. Anyone who has done something to improve their health warrants a thumbs up. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Also, as a non-smoker the more quitters there are the less second hand smoke to avoid.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    oh i am sorry, but if you have quit for 9 years, you're probably capable of doing it again :)
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'm raining on anyone's parade by objecting to being told that I feel disgusting and anxious when I don't? The reality is, nobody knows better than a smoker how smoking makes them feel. That doesn't mean that every smoker feels the same, and it's projecting to assume that it does. If someone was to say that being fat makes everyone feel disgusting and anxious there would probably be a font-riot on here.

@FoodFitnessTravel thanks, and I know I can try again - I've promised myself that when I get a 2 stone loss I'll have another go :-)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that worked for you.
    I took a different approach because that type of stuff didn't work for me.
    I started smoking at 13. I wanted to quit at 35. I got a vaporizer and cut my nicotine levels weekly until I was weaned to zero.
    I never smoked again, never had a craving to smoke again. I haven't smoked in years.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    sorry i didn't mean to generalise, I just foolishly expressed how I felt assuming everyone feels the same way that I do. But one thing I know for sure, no smoker wants to be a smoker, and no smoker is planning to smoke for the rest of their life. I wish best of luck to @curlycockney!
    Good job @thorsmom01 and thank you so much for the kind words @nextpage :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. I quit 4 years ago. I didn't use a book, I used a vaporizer and, like thorsmom01, took it to zero. I still have one though, just because i like it.
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting!! Your body is going to feel so much better now. I also successfully quit (221 days ago) and I will never start again. I really hope that you stick with it and post later with an update to let us know how you are doing. :smile:

Edited to add that I quit cold turkey, that was the best way for me and the way that finally worked. Tried other methods before but they never worked.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well done @FoodFitnessTravel , keep up the good work! I am a huge advocate of Allen Carrs Easyway book, although I appreciate it may not be for everyone. I gave up just over two years ago after smoking for 25 years so I know it's not the easiest thing. I just knew that I couldn't keep putting it off, for so long I used the when 'X' happens I'll stop smoking excuses....it doesn't work that way, you've got to be determined and want it! As you said, it doesn't make you put on weight, it does heighten anxiety, and it does make you smell, sorry, harsh but true. I hope I never smoke again, and have no intentions of doing so, but if I do I sure as hell wouldn't smoke out and about again because it is truly unfair on everyone around.

Well done to all of us quitters! ;-)
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I am coming up on my 10th year of non-smoking. I was in the pre-vape era , so I just did it the old fashioned way and quit cold turkey. I took up knitting that winter to keep my hands busy. I had 20 afghans, 10 sweaters and countless baby toys to show for it. LOL
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! I think I smoked for a week before I realized how terrible it made me feel! But, when people tell me how much they love to smoke, I enjoy telling them the same story...

My father began having small strokes in his mid fifties that no one ever knew about. He continued smoking like a train and had multiple strokes over the course of a few short years. At 55 we began to realize there was something wrong with him. He couldn't form complete sentences, remember simple tasks, and was being very strange. It was the day he came to me and complained of blurry vision in one eye and broke down crying uncontrollably (my father is a strong, manly man. None of us had ever seen him cry) that I realized something was horribly wrong. He had a stroke in the front vascular lobe of his brain, it pretty much wiped that part of him clean. The doctors said his smoking for all those years caused the strokes. He is 57 now and has vascular dementia. He can't be by himself, can't drive, can't remember the conversation we were just having.

I applaud you for quitting. I also applaud you for quitting without taking up e-cigs.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting!! Your body is going to feel so much better now. I also successfully quit (221 days ago) and I will never start again. I really hope that you stick with it and post later with an update to let us know how you are doing. :smile:

Edited to add that I quit cold turkey, that was the best way for me and the way that finally worked. Tried other methods before but they never worked.

Well done! How do you feel? Have you noticed any particular difference?

Im 2 weeks not smoking (was going to say "sober" - is there a word for being off the cigarettes?) which is obviously very early to see any changes. Was hoping I might have some to look forward to though!

Ive taken up fitness this year so with luck it will aid my cardio.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I picked up smoking pipe tobacco cigarillos for some reason a few years back. First it was a stress relief thing after work, but then, much like you, I couldn't calm myself down without them. Luckily, I didn't need any quit aids; when I got into lifting I realized how much the smoking was killing my ability to work out properly, and I was just like "this is stupid". I wanted to get bigger way more than I wanted to smoke. Went from about 3-4 a day down to 1, then after a week, stopped all together. Also: it's freaking expensive! You don't realize until you stop. My poor wallet :(
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic that you quit!! I had been a smoker for 10 years. It has taken me roughly 6 to 7 times quitting to actually do it. Been almost 30 days this time and not a craving in sight. It's all a mind game. Seriously. So if you ever do slip up and smoke again, DON'T beat yourself up....it probably will happen, but that doesn't make you a "smoker" again. It's an incredibly addictive habit and one of the hardest to stop. I'm happy that you are so enthusiastic about it....don't lose that!! God bless and best of luck staying quit! :)
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I quit 8 years ago using Chantix. I smoked for 20+ and tried many times to quit. Patches, gum and cold turkey didn't work as I lacked the will power. I know some people who have tried it have crazy dreams but that was easy for me to overcome just not having the craving to smoke. Congrats to you for quitting however you did it.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    well done guys! thanks for the encouragement, i really enjoyed reading all your success stories. I am glad to hear some of you guys quit successfully with e ciggies, i spent a bunch of money on mine (bought three different kinds) and nothing, i would smoke both them and real cigarettes, before going back to regular cigs and possibly smoking more than ever!
    I am bad with anything cold turkey, during the initial period i was incredibly frustrated and I would go running so that i could fall asleep and the day would be over so i don't think about cigarettes. Miserable but it's amazing how quickly the cravings go away.
    And I agree with @_Bropolio_ my workouts were terrible while i was smoking, i would run out of breath so easily :( I know it's only been 3 weeks but i can already notice a huge improvement. It takes lungs 3-6 months to recover completely though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!