Muscle does not weigh more than fat

Options

Replies

• NanoReefDiver
    Options
    When people say, "muscle weighs more than fat", that is what they mean. A baseball-sized piece of muscle weighs more than a baseball-sized piece of fat. There is nothing wrong with the statement. If people read it as 1lb of muscle weighing more than 1lb of fat... sorry, that's an issue beyond not understanding the human body. There shouldn't be any need for the clarification.

Thank you. It's my pet peeve when people believe they are busting this like it's a huge myth. When people say 'muscle weighs more than fat' they most often are just using it as an explanation shortcut. My personal favorite use: yes I may weigh the same but I am smaller! Muscle weighs more than fat after all! *grin and flex*
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's my pet peeve when people believe they are busting this like it's a huge myth. When people say 'muscle weighs more than fat' they most often are just using it as an explanation shortcut. My personal favorite use: yes I may weigh the same but I am smaller! Muscle weighs more than fat after all! *grin and flex*

But most people asking for help here are not asking about why they are not losing volume. They are wondering why they aren't losing weight. If their weight is the same, but they are shrinking, then yes... they are building enough muscle to weigh the same as the fat they lost. But if their weight is the same, and their measurements (volume) have not budged, they should not be told they are gaining muscle to explain away the reason for their plateau. That doesn't help anyone find out the actual reason for their plateau. Again, this wasn't to insult people who use that statement just to point out its misuse.
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    I dont get it lol. It is true--- if you are comparing one pound of fat to one pound of muscle, then of course they weigh the same. But with an equal volume of both, muscle weighs more. Right?
    So muscle definitely does weigh more than fat.
    Using the cotton ball brick example, you're standing there with five pounds of cotton balls and one five pound brick and saying "Look! They weigh the same!" but ask anyone which weighs more and they are likely to say the brick. It's just an easier way of saying, "Muscle is denser, therefore despite losing an inch around your waist, your weight has barely budged."
    Right? : P
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    When people say, "muscle weighs more than fat", that is what they mean. A baseball-sized piece of muscle weighs more than a baseball-sized piece of fat. There is nothing wrong with the statement. If people read it as 1lb of muscle weighing more than 1lb of fat... sorry, that's an issue beyond not understanding the human body. There shouldn't be any need for the clarification.

Excellent way to explain it!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I dont get it lol. It is true--- if you are comparing one pound of fat to one pound of muscle, then of course they weigh the same. But with an equal volume of both, muscle weighs more. Right?
    Using the cotton ball brick example, you're standing there with five pounds of cotton balls and one five pound brick and saying "Look! They weigh the same!" but ask anyone which weighs more and they are likely to say the brick. It's just an easier way of saying, "Muscle is denser, therefore despite losing an inch around your waist, your weight has barely budged."

Yes sirieee. .. After my daughter I lost 3 sizes and no weight, so while they weigh the same muscle takes up far less room. . . :bigsmile:
  • bjohs
    Options
    Using the cotton ball brick example, you're standing there with five pounds of cotton balls and one five pound brick and saying "Look! They weigh the same!"

Yes, with equal volume, muscle will weigh more. With equal weight, fat will take up about 18% more space than muscle. Keep your eyes peeled for the next time you spot that statement on this forum though. If the person were losing inches (volume) but not seeing any difference on the scale (weight), that statement would be true. But in most cases, these people are not losing volume nor are they losing weight. In that case, the statement would NOT be true.
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yes sirieee. .. After my daughter I lost 3 sizes and no weight, so while they weigh the same muscle takes up far less room. . . :bigsmile:

Exactly! Congrats to you too!
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Its the old pound of feather and pound of lead debate!

A Pound of feathers would be a big bag! Where as a pound of lead, you could probably put in your pocket.

I also hate "I Gained a pound this week!!" Answer "you probably gained muscle"

I doubt it, you more likley retained some water in you muscles due to a different work out.

search%3Fq%3Dpound%2Bof%2Bmuscle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1268%26bih%3D831%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options

Thank you! My head was starting to spin reading everything and this made it stop! lol
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yes, if losing inches (or volume) is happening, a person's weight would stay the same despite having a narrower waist (or smaller pant size). Maybe this is a better visual....

Muscle = marble
    Fat = bag of cotton balls

For this visual, let's say the marble and bag of cotton balls both weigh one pound. The marble is much smaller than the bag of cotton balls, right? If a person loses fat and replaces it with muscle, it is like dumping the cotton balls out of the bag and putting the marble in there instead. The bag will still weigh a pound, but it would not be as full. If the bag were a person, then they would definitely be noticing the drop in pant sizes even though the scale has not moved.

For people using the volume scenario where if two objects were equal in size, muscle would weigh more than fat. Now, let's take the same marble weighing one pound and the same bag of cotton balls also weighing a pound. Dump all of the cotton balls out of the bag and fill it with marbles instead. Now the volume of marbles would equal the same volume of cotton balls that were discarded. With this scenario, the bag would now weigh much, much more than it did when it was just cotton balls. If the bag were a person, their waist line would stay exactly the same and would not have drop a pant size... but they would have gained a noticeable amount of weight.

It is nearly impossible for an average person to gain that much muscle mass by running, walking, biking, elliptical, workout DVD's, etc. If they are strength training in the gym for a couple of hours each day, focusing on building muscle, then it probably does have something to do with muscle gain. But I have yet to read a thread on MFP where this comment was being used on someone who was making that kind of commitment to muscle building.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I completely agree!!! That is why I tell people to measure themselves!!! Measurements and weighing in are essential tools in helping to note loss!! :) I prefer measurements, because a person can really see a difference!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    So what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Off topic, I know, but this reminds me of my 4th grade teacher. This was our homework one night. His point then was that metal is (or was ) weighed in troy oz and troy lbs, which are different from standard lbs. I don't remember if that made any difference overall, would have to look it up again if I really cared :tongue:
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It makes me crazy too. I usually just respond back with "Which weighs more, 1 lb of feathers or 1 lb of bricks?"
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options
    I definitely understand the logic behind what you are saying. However, let's be honest, no one really lives like that all of the time. By that logic and reasoning, nothing weighs more or less than anything else. Air weighs no more or less than granite! It's all the same! Yes, technically it's correct, but I would venture a guess that no one really lives or thinks that way on a day to day basis.

We all know exactly what people are trying to say when they make the statement, "Muscle weighs more than fat." I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I laugh when these kind of posts start off with something like, "I'm not trying to be nitpicky but . . ." because, yes, you are. It generally ends up confusing more people than it corrects.

Sorry for my little rant, lol. :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I also hate "I Gained a pound this week!!" Answer "you probably gained muscle"

I doubt it, you more likley retained some water in you muscles due to a different work out.

Amen!!! SO few people seem to know or understand this, especially when someone just starts an exercise routine!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

It is nearly impossible for an average person to gain that much muscle mass by running, walking, biking, elliptical, workout DVD's, etc. If they are strength training in the gym for a couple of hours each day, focusing on building muscle, then it probably does have something to do with muscle gain. But I have yet to read a thread on MFP where this comment was being used on someone who was making that kind of commitment to muscle building.

I think this happens when people play head-games with themselves. They want so badly to explain away a gain or plateau that they enter denial that it's VERY difficult to gain measurable muscle weight in 1 week increments. "Muscle weighs more than fat" becomes a coping mechanism I think at that point.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a nitpicky person, but I felt compelled to write something about this subject. I'd be a very rich women if I had a dollar for every time I've read "muscle weighs more than fat" on this board. I would just like to share some information with everyone so they are better informed when offering support to someone who is truly looking for answers as to why they may not be losing weight.

One (1) pound of muscle equals one (1) pound of fat. No more. No Less.

However, one pound of muscle is a lot denser (more compact) than fat, where fat takes up much more volume than muscle to equal the same weight. What this means is that if someone has built enough muscle to replace the same weight in fat, they should have dropped a pant size or more. They would noticeably see and feel the results!

Alternatively, if someone has built enough muscle to replace the volume of fat (if they have stayed the same pant size), it would mean they would weigh much more than when they started. This is nearly impossible for anyone (especially women) unless you are pumping iron every single day of the week or taking some serious steroids.

I liked someone's comparison made in a thread I read earlier (sorry, I can't remember which one). Imagine muscle as a brick, then imagine the same amount of weight in cotton balls. Which one takes up more space?

If you are not losing weight, but are exercising and eating right, look in to possible reasons as to why you have plateaued at that weight. It may mean that you need to adjust your workout. Have you been doing the same workout for months? Maybe it's time to challenge your body again. It may mean you need to adjust your calories. Are you eating too few calories, or too much? Experiment with your meals until something brings results. It may mean that you are getting too much sodium and retaining water. Whatever the reason, I can almost guarantee that it isn't because you have replaced fat with muscle. It is just very unlikely.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rant. People who seek answers from others on this board should be given informed answers to really help them over the hump. I hope this bit of information helps. :)

Yes! Thank you! Jillian said this on BL and it stuck with me. When people...especially people with lots of weight to lose...say they gained weight due to muscle I want to call them on the computer and let them know this is false! Even though it is said all the time. Thanks for bringing this up! I DID gain 3-4 pounds from my goal weight of 145 after I added Body Pump to my weekly routine. My pants fit the same, but you can see definition.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    meh... not even worth it
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Here we go again...

mass = density x volume
    Further...
    weight = mass x gravity

Since gravity on Earth is a relative constant we can say that the density AND volume of a substance are used to determine its weight.

Volume is a key part in determining the weight of a substance so you can't just ignore it. However, if we also make volume a constant, as in 1 cup, the only variable left is density. Since it is established that muscle is more dense than fat we have proven that muscle does indeed weigh more than fat.

Case closed.