drinking

Options
I am pretty good at limiting my calorie intake when it comes to good, but when it comes to alcohol my calories Skye rocket. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one but if you don't get in charge of your alcohol intake you could be contributing to long term health problems. For example do you know that alchol is a risk factor for women?

You haven't said how much you drink but it is generally considered that any more than 2 standard drinks a day is to be considered a health risk and if you are unable to drink less than this then you could consider yourself an alcoholic - that is dependent.

When i was young, i used to drink too much but i was lucky that life took a different turn and i stopped doing that.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh to be 22 and binge drink again! Not sure how frequently you drink, I know when I was your age I was fresh out of college and didn't drink quite as often as I did in college, but when I did, it was a lot. Try limiting yourself to 2 drinks, or drink water in between. You'll feel much better the next day and be able to remember all the stupid things everyone else did while they were drunk. If you do drink in excess, cut out the sugary mixers, mix with diet drinks instead.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes! You still have a cocktail or two and be ok calorie wise. Just depends on what you drink.. but also that you don't let the booze tell you its a great idea to eat a bag of chips and cookies too! I like to drink vodka in flavored sparkling water... it gives me the taste of a mixed drink without the calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that alcohol has plenty of cals and zero nutrition.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Skye" rocket. Heh.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I work in a bar as my second job, and we usually drink a shot an hour while I am there... today I did the math, I am drinking like 700 calories of whiskey on the shifts that we do that! Um no, I will be sticking to water this weekend. not to mention I am too old to be doing that anymore.
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to have a drink or two in the evenings and I've had to leave extra calories for that time. Otherwise, I tell myself all day I won't have a drink tonight and I get home, change my mind and kick myself for going over. Usually a glass or two of wine for me.
  • sgarrison89
    sgarrison89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got into the habbit of drinking plain vodka and water with a squeeze of lemon when I go out. I order Titos and water and its only 60 calories. Its an acquired taste but overall not that bad.
  • iggylover3398
    iggylover3398 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually binge drink. I have a hard time stopping at just one drink. I think I am going to stop dring alcohol and sodas all together.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Yup. And I'm a weekend binge drinker too...I swear it's the main thing impeding my weight loss success, but I haven't been able to stop yet. Unfortunately I have peer pressure from hubby, who likes drinkies on date nites...lol
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I got into the habbit of drinking plain vodka and water with a squeeze of lemon when I go out. I order Titos and water and its only 60 calories. Its an acquired taste but overall not that bad.

I do this for any drinks now...less headache from the mix sugars too...
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    Yes! You still have a cocktail or two and be ok calorie wise. Just depends on what you drink.. but also that you don't let the booze tell you its a great idea to eat a bag of chips and cookies too! I like to drink vodka in flavored sparkling water... it gives me the taste of a mixed drink without the calories.

This...exactly!! Sometimes I will slice a strawberry or two into mine...raspberries are yummy too!
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you can't control it enough to stop after 1 or 2 you will need to stop completely, at least for awhile.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same problem with beer. I actually just posted a board on it--I tend to have a couple of beers, then snacking goes crazy--all my hard work down the drain for the day.
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I save it for special meals out and special occasion's. I keep a bottle in the house and find I don't crave it if it's there!
  • healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I saved my calories today and am enjoying my second stella cidre as I type this.
  • 1kiloatatime
    1kiloatatime Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vodka and water! I know it doesn't taste the greatest but the calories are a lot less, you still get buzzy off it and negative bonus is no hangover! Hope this has helped :)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Back in 2013 I was drinking 60 pints of cider a week (25 litres) 18000 calories per week plus then carb loaded cravings probably 7000 a week anyway I added 77lbs to my body weight in 9 months, it has taken me 2 years and 4 months to be able to cut alcohol down to a level where I can happily go without and not miss it, it's the devil, I am hoping that over the next few weeks I can accomplish a week without any alcohol.
    My advise ditch alcohol.
  • shyla617
    shyla617 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    You are not the only one but if you don't get in charge of your alcohol intake you could be contributing to long term health problems. For example do you know that alchol is a risk factor for women?

You haven't said how much you drink but it is generally considered that any more than 2 standard drinks a day is to be considered a health risk and if you are unable to drink less than this then you could consider yourself an alcoholic - that is dependent.

When i was young, i used to drink too much but i was lucky that life took a different turn and i stopped doing that.

• shyla617
    shyla617 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drinking more than 2 "standard"drinks does not make you an alcoholic. Not being able to control how much you drink or not being able to control what you do while you drink is pretty much the standard definition for most rehabs.