HELP! Cant get past my plateau

Options
Im soooooo frustrated. Im on a 1400 calorie eating plan, it doesnt sound like much but I eat a lot throughout the day. I work out 4 x a week with my trainer and try and include yoga at least 2 x a week. Each work out I burn a minimum of 850+ calories. The scale is just NOT moving. Does anyone have some advice on how to get over this? Its driving me crazy and its incredibly demotivating *SIGH*

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    How long has your weight been the same?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My standard questions: What are your current stats? How long has it been since you've lost? Are you weighing your food on an electronic food scale? How are you measuring your exercise burns? 850+ calorie burns are huge! Are you eating back those calories?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    My standard questions: What are your current stats? How long has it been since you've lost? Are you weighing your food on an electronic food scale? How are you measuring your exercise burns? 850+ calorie burns are huge! Are you eating back those calories?

all of that.
  • kerryleestokes
    kerryleestokes Posts: 25 Member
    Options

all of that.
    sllm1 wrote: »
    How long has your weight been the same?

Hi everyone. Thanks for quick reply. I havent moved on the scale for going on 4 weeks. Im currently at 93kgs and working hard (or trying to at least) drop another 10 to 15kgs.
    I am measuring my food intake with a scale and logging it all daily. Once I work out no I dont eat those calories back. Im measuring my work outs using a polar heartrate and calorie burn monitor...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    4 weeks is but a stall. A plateau is more 8 weeks. You say you're weighing, but you have things like small banana, then large banana. Cups of broccoli, etc.
    Additionally, your exercise burns look pretty high. I notice you have a fitbit, do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    In addition the above poster ^^

Before I weighed my bananas and apples etc - I was under estimating the calories in these particular items by around 50/60 calories each day. Broccoli - I always added as a standard '30 calories' as I refused to believe it would be more than that. Once I started weighing Broc, I ate around 60 calories worth. Etc etc. All of these 'small' items can really add up hence why it's so important to weigh! I'd really tighten it up and be a bit of a 'mad scientist' in regards to food prep in the next few days just so you can really try and kickstart your weight loss again! :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    There's something wrong somewhere.

Let's assume you are 5ft, we know you're 30, female and 93kg. That means your BMR is around 1,572 - 1,688 (assuming you are 5ft)

If you are eating 1400 calories a day, assuming you are logging correctly, you should lose weight.

If you are eating 1400 calories and burning 850 calories through exercise you are netting 550 calories a day. You would be losing weight, and your health would be at significant risk.

You need to look at your logging and your exercise burns.

If you are really netting 550 calories 4 days a week then I'm afraid you'd be seeing a significant loss, and also probably a doctor.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    odd calorie burn number from your Polar. Do some research on how much the activities you do actually burn. Heart rate isn't directly tied to calorie burn...they are like distant cousins.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Im soooooo frustrated. Im on a 1400 calorie eating plan, it doesnt sound like much but I eat a lot throughout the day. I work out 4 x a week with my trainer and try and include yoga at least 2 x a week. Each work out I burn a minimum of 850+ calories. The scale is just NOT moving. Does anyone have some advice on how to get over this? Its driving me crazy and its incredibly demotivating *SIGH*

Kerry,

Bottom line: the evidence of you not losing or gaining weight supports that you are eating at maintenance. In other words, you are consuming too many calories to lose weight. If you were eating 1400 calories a day, you would lose weight. Here's some questions:

How much have you lost so far? Have you allowed MFP to adjust your calories down with every ten pounds you've lost? Very important because the less we weigh, the less we need to eat.

Do you weigh your solid food and measure liquids? Do you ensure you have correct food entries? Do you log every single thing you consume?

Where do you get those exercise burns from? Do you eat back any, all, or none of your exercise calories?

If you
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    One thing to also keep in mind with your protein powder. Be sure to weigh it and not rely on a "scoop" measurement. I found that a full even scoop is generally far more than what a serving states on the packaging. It can count for far more calories than you think.
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    4 weeks is but a stall. A plateau is more 8 weeks. You say you're weighing, but you have things like small banana, then large banana. Cups of broccoli, etc.
    Additionally, your exercise burns look pretty high. I notice you have a fitbit, do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled?
    Ive stopped using my fitbit but cant deactivate from MFP. I use a polar watch for my workouts
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    One thing to also keep in mind with your protein powder. Be sure to weigh it and not rely on a "scoop" measurement. I found that a full even scoop is generally far more than what a serving states on the packaging. It can count for far more calories than you think.
    Thank you. Ill keep an eye out for that

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This!

That "scoop" is always more than the allotted grams. Yikes!
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Kerry,

Bottom line: the evidence of you not losing or gaining weight supports that you are eating at maintenance. In other words, you are consuming too many calories to lose weight. If you were eating 1400 calories a day, you would lose weight. Here's some questions:

How much have you lost so far? Have you allowed MFP to adjust your calories down with every ten pounds you've lost? Very important because the less we weigh, the less we need to eat.

Do you weigh your solid food and measure liquids? Do you ensure you have correct food entries? Do you log every single thing you consume?

Where do you get those exercise burns from? Do you eat back any, all, or none of your exercise calories?

If you

Over 2 years Ive lost 54kgs. I havent got MFP to adjust my calories currently as Im not seeing a result where Im at. I track EVERYTHING even on my cheat days if I have even one cookie.
    Weigh foods yes, measure liquids yes. I use a polar watch for my workouts. I work out in the evening due to work and dont eat anything after a work out other than a protein shake.
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    odd calorie burn number from your Polar. Do some research on how much the activities you do actually burn. Heart rate isn't directly tied to calorie burn...they are like distant cousins.

Why do you say odd calorie burn? Id like to be sure that Im using it correctly...

• kerryleestokes
    Options
    In addition the above poster ^^

Before I weighed my bananas and apples etc - I was under estimating the calories in these particular items by around 50/60 calories each day. Broccoli - I always added as a standard '30 calories' as I refused to believe it would be more than that. Once I started weighing Broc, I ate around 60 calories worth. Etc etc. All of these 'small' items can really add up hence why it's so important to weigh! I'd really tighten it up and be a bit of a 'mad scientist' in regards to food prep in the next few days just so you can really try and kickstart your weight loss again! :)

Will definately give the madness a try ;)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Four weeks isn't long enough to know for sure. That said, if you think it is long enough to know, then you're eating at maintenance.
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I live in Vietnam and the variations of bananas are crazy. Generally I use the really mini ones but on days I have a protein shake as a meal replacement I use a large (standard) size
  • kerryleestokes
    Options
    Four weeks isn't long enough to know for sure. That said, if you think it is long enough to know, then you're eating at maintenance.
    How do I get past that and back to eating for weight loss?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How do I get past that and back to eating for weight loss?
    If you're eating at maintenance, which, again, I think is too soon to tell that, then your options are eat less and/or move more.