The magic that is kimchi...

Options
laureninchina
laureninchina Posts: 8 Member
I think one of the foods I have really come to love since coming to China is kimchi. It's technically a korean food, but it's quite popular in Hong Kong as well. You can have it on its own as a side dish, with rice, with noodles, in a soup, etc.

Essentially, it's a reddish-looking fermented cabbage (sounds gross but I love it!) and it's really great for the body. It's one of the few foods that I can eat and literally feel it helping my body. It's great for digestion, to me that's what I notice the most. It's also great at raising the metabolism (because of the spices) and it's super low calorie, as well as having a lot of vitamins. In korea they're obsessed with it, it is seen as something you should always be eating because of it's amazing health benefits!

You can get it at a grocery store or an oriental store near you, it's quite cheap and I really recommend you try it if you're looking for feel-good food that's really diverse in terms of use!

Replies

• hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Kimchi is so wonderful! My husband always talks about making his own (like fermenting his own the real way) but I'll take the jar in the store.

He made kimchi fried rice once...oh man.
  • shorty3n7
    shorty3n7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love kimchi. Had a childhood friend whos mom used to make us giants jars of it and man we went through those things faster than anything else in our fridge. I crave kimchi daily. I might have to run to our local asian market and pick me up some. Mmmm
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Take one cup of chopped into 1/2 inch dice kimchi with the juice and add 1/2 cup flour, one egg, a chopped green onion and stir. Heat a fry pan with a small amount of oil and pour the batter into it. Brown well on one side. Flip onto a plate, carefully and put back into the pan. Cook the other side until toasted brown. Cut into wedges and have with a cold glass of beer. Make sure you have the extra calories for all this...lol. It is wonderful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Kimchi rocks.