How often to weigh

Options
Hi all
I have been counting calories for the past week now, how often should I weigh myself?

Replies

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    There's no good answer, you need to find what works for you :) some people weigh in every day keeping in mind our weight can fluctuate each day, some weigh in once a week - on Monday for instance, some once a month, etc. I personnally weigh in whenever I feel the result will please me :) when I know i've done good, otherwise seeing a gain discourages me... so: depends :)
  • winslowh0
    winslowh0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time of day on the same scale. Sometimes I'll sneak in a mid week weigh in but it's not what I usually do.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There's no good answer, you need to find what works for you :) some people weigh in every day keeping in mind our weight can fluctuate each day, some weigh in once a week - on Monday for instance, some once a month, etc. I personnally weigh in whenever I feel the result will please me :) when I know i've done good, otherwise seeing a gain discourages me... so: depends :)

Agree. There is no "right" answer - only what works for you. Personally, I weigh every day (and at the same time) and log it (in MFP & my own EXCEL chart). I try not to focus on the daily ups & downs (and it is very much up& down - definitely not linear) and rather focus on the trend (& I'm nerdy enough that I've got a linear regression in the Excel graph :smile: ).
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I only weigh once a month, on the last Sunday of the month. This will probably become once a week when I am closer to my goal weight.
    I avoid the scale because if I lose weight I celebrate, but if the number isn't good I comfort myself. Both celebrate and comfort is generally overeating, for me... I'm planning to enter maintenance, in the future, then the numbers should only vary within an acceptable range, therefore no emotional eating.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference :)

I weigh myself once a week - always on the same day and at the same time. Other's weigh daily. If you are going to be going for the daily option, expect fluctuations! My relationship with the scales isn't the best so daily weighing isn't the best option for me!
  • Nicki_G724
    Nicki_G724 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly. But now that I'm starting over...I'm weighing in daily. I know the scale will go up and down but I'm used to that by now! I also will log it daily as I have today.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and log it in an app on my phone, but only record in MFP once per week. I like the daily numbers because it gives me a better idea of long-term trends, and when the scale creeps up due to water weight, etc., I know it's not the end of the world.
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself very often anymore. Maybe once a month. It's a control thing for me. I was obsessed with it at one point. I just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. I think it can be a beneficial tool when adjusting diet though, especially starting out.
  • bekichitwood
    bekichitwood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It sounds like people weigh more often when trying to lose which makes sense.
    I'm with the group of people who weigh almost daily and average out the peaks and valleys.
    I agree about same time, first thing in the AM for me for consistency
  • Candice1409
    Candice1409 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that does help. I will start with weekly and then take it from there. I don't have a lot to lose so it seems to be a bit harder. I will weigh myself tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like to go by the way my clothes are fitting. I went from an XL shirt to a L and moved up a belt loop. Inches lost, to me, are better than weight lost.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I need to step on the scale everyday to keep things in check
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    katkins3 wrote: »
    I only weigh once a month, on the last Sunday of the month. This will probably become once a week when I am closer to my goal weight.
    I avoid the scale because if I lose weight I celebrate, but if the number isn't good I comfort myself. Both celebrate and comfort is generally overeating, for me... I'm planning to enter maintenance, in the future, then the numbers should only vary within an acceptable range, therefore no emotional eating.

Wow i thought i was the only one who over ate celebration and comfort. Good to know i am not alone. I only weigh when I am curious or if I call myself "getting back on track"!!! Whatever works for you!! Good luck
  • anid413
    anid413 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to weight myself everyday so I know whats going on with my body and I can stay on track but that isnt always healthy mentally so I want to try to weight myself only once a week now
  • Saeraphine
    Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I was weighing only once a week, but telling myself I wasn't allowed to do it any other time made me expect big results on scale day. Then, even with a decent loss, it wasn't the big number I wanted, and I went away disappointed. Now, I weigh when I want to, but only record it on that one day a week that used to be scale day. That way, I can see my progress, and not worry about the fluctuations or expecting too high a result.