Pain in my calf!!

Options
I've developed a pain in my calf over the last couple of day. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas before I bother the doctors!

It's kind of half way between the front and side of my calf to the inside and on the bone. I can feel it when I press it and impact definitely irritates it more! It's bearable but only just. I've walked/run 2.5 miles tonight and it's okay but it's there!

I wouldn't have said it was muscle pain but just wondered if anyone had had anything similar???

Replies

• FairlyLisa
    FairlyLisa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get muscle pain in my calf from time to time...I usually work through it. Mine always clears up after a week or so - it it bone or muscle?
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Might be shin splints... I had them before.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It feels more like a pain in/on the bone to be honest. It's not a tightening like muscle pain, more like a painful bruise on the inside!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. Totally understand what you're talking about... I have them too.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    agree with the above shin splints are most likely the cause...lighten up the impact for awhile, should resolve itself!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It does sound like it could possible be shin splints. My best advice is to take it easy the next two weeks. Do low-impact work outs like mat pilates, elliptical, yoga, etc. Get your feet scanned and find out what shoes would be best for you. I was wearing the wrong shoes for a long time which gave me shin splints too. Also, if you are a runner, make sure your gait is correct! Always run heel toe and roll out each step. It might feel awkward at first but it is the proper way to run. Never run on your toes! You can find out (for free) what type of shoe you should be wearing at most shoe stores. There are also dr. scholls feet scanners in many drug stores. Sometimes your problem might be small enough where you'd only need a shoe insert. Hope this helps :)

p.s. if you do change your shoes, they might be uncomfortable at first because of they way your foot is aligned, but as long as you don't feel pain you should be fine and adjust quickly. I found out my feet turn inward, or 'pronate.' Even if this doesn't have anything to do with your calf pain, its a good idea anyway because your feel being properly aligned effects your back, knees, hips, etc. Everyone should have proper shoes.
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It does sound like it could possible be shin splints. My best advice is to take it easy the next two weeks. Do low-impact work outs like mat pilates, elliptical, yoga, etc. Get your feet scanned and find out what shoes would be best for you. I was wearing the wrong shoes for a long time which gave me shin splints too. Also, if you are a runner, make sure your gait is correct! Always run heel toe and roll out each step. It might feel awkward at first but it is the proper way to run. Never run on your toes! You can find out (for free) what type of shoe you should be wearing at most shoe stores. There are also dr. scholls feet scanners in many drug stores. Sometimes your problem might be small enough where you'd only need a shoe insert. Hope this helps :)

p.s. if you do change your shoes, they might be uncomfortable at first because of they way your foot is aligned, but as long as you don't feel pain you should be fine and adjust quickly. I found out my feet turn inward, or 'pronate.' Even if this doesn't have anything to do with your calf pain, its a good idea anyway because your feel being properly aligned effects your back, knees, hips, etc. Everyone should have proper shoes.

Thanks, makes sense when I think about it. Not necessarily my trainers, but most of my other shoes, heels or flats always wear on the outside of the heel first so I must walk heavier on the outside of my foot! Will try find somewhere to get scanned. Anyone any ideas?? I'm in UK.