what keeps you on track?

Options
earthbound95
earthbound95 Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
I had a good 23 day streak of eating right and exercising consistently, and then...nothing. Its like I convinced myself I could take a day off, which became a whole week off my health regimine. Its discouraging because I feel like the results of my workout efforts have faded and now im starting over. What keeps you from losing dedication? i have more than enough reasons that weight loss is necessary and would be beneficial, but its staying on track over the course of months that really do me in. I can keep a good rregimen going for about a month before sliding dangerously close to my old ways lol -_- ideas?

Replies

• Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as hard as it may seem, you don't want to take days off for the first month or two, if you have a choice. That time period seems to be the hardest to get through, and you are very vulnerable to falling back into old habits.

For me, the breaking point was/still is taking care of my granddad. He has Alzheimer's, and I told my self that I would do anything in my power to prevent that from happening to me. And although few thing about preventing or treating Alzheimer's has been confirmed, I figured that being as healthy as I can be is a good start.

That has kept me going for 8 months, and will keep me going for the rest of my life. It only gets easier, and you will get to a point where you can safely and consciously take a day off (I'm taking a day off today) and not fall back into your old habits.

One more thing you need to understand, is that if you mess up/eat a little extra, it isn't the end of the world. Just get back on the horse. I used to miss a workout and thought that my whole week was ruined, so I would wait until the following week to start again. That is the wrong choice. As long as your healthy choices outweigh the unhealthy choices, you will make progress.
  • earthbound95
    Options
    thank you for your feedback. 8 months is great congratulations on stickin with it:) I think you make a very valid point regarding the necessity to stay healthy to reduce risks of diseases like alz. its nice to get a serious response from someone regaurding this issue, my SO and family ddefinately dont make a healthy lifestyle priority and they often make me feel like i'm overreacting to consider health important. Im starting fresh today:)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I had a good 23 day streak of eating right and exercising consistently, and then...nothing. Its like I convinced myself I could take a day off, which became a whole week off my health regimine. Its discouraging because I feel like the results of my workout efforts have faded and now im starting over. What keeps you from losing dedication? i have more than enough reasons that weight loss is necessary and would be beneficial, but its staying on track over the course of months that really do me in. I can keep a good rregimen going for about a month before sliding dangerously close to my old ways lol -_- ideas?

Knowing that I'll do exactly what you did and how I'll feel about it afterward is a big part of what keeps me on track. But it doesn't always stop me, sad to say, or I wouldn't be gaining and losing the same blasted 20+ pounds over and over.
  • Sabrinarose8
    Sabrinarose8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could be trying to change too much at one time? It might be easier to to just stick to 1 healthy behavior a time, then once it becomes easy for you (habitual, and you almost never even think about it) add another. for instance maybe just focus on logging and staying under a reasonable calorie goal consistently for a few months, then add in x number of workouts per week.
  • earthbound95
    Options
    Do you think you could be trying to change too much at one time? It might be easier to to just stick to 1 healthy behavior a time, then once it becomes easy for you (habitual, and you almost never even think about it) add another. for instance maybe just focus on logging and staying under a reasonable calorie goal consistently for a few months, then add in x number of workouts per week.

yeah that is likely part of it, trying to focus on too many goals at once. its hard to accept because i feel like i should be able to eat right in addition to exercising regularly however the times i slip up tend to be moments when i feel overwelmed with life in general, work, family ect. i just want to feel like i can accomplish everything haha /:
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

yeah that is likely part of it, trying to focus on too many goals at once. its hard to accept because i feel like i should be able to eat right in addition to exercising regularly however the times i slip up tend to be moments when i feel overwelmed with life in general, work, family ect. i just want to feel like i can accomplish everything haha /:

Stress is a huge trigger for a lot of people. Perhaps you could channel your stress into your workout routines? (Without injuring yourself overdoing it, of course!). I find that helps. I get stressed, I have a two wheeled, metal framed therapist to go ride. I love it. I think I need to put air in the tires again today, though. :'(
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this almost TWO YEARS!!! Wanting it bad enough and weighing daily keeps me on track. I don't EVER want to have to lose 95 pounds again. Once is enough!
  • earthbound95
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Azuriaz

yeah stress is definitely part of the weightloss struggle, its tough to be consistent when you feel like you "deserve" a break. I try various things to manage stress, something that's been really helpful for me is yoga.

• earthbound95
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    I've been doing this almost TWO YEARS!!! Wanting it bad enough and weighing daily keeps me on track. I don't EVER want to have to lose 95 pounds again. Once is enough!

it helps knowing that others are going through the same thing, its not just my weak will o:) also knowing that its possible to accomplish your goal is reassuring, good job losin those 95 lbs def no small feat:)
  • jazzyj1230
    jazzyj1230 Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have only been going for 15 days but I recently had the same experience you did. I had family come to visit and all the sudden my old eating habits were right back to where they were. It took me a few days to get back on track, but I did it. What I always try to tell myself is a quote I found on pintrest (im sure you have heard it before) "saying- Ive already cheated today on my diet so I might as well eat whatever I want- is the same as - I already have a crack in my phone screen so I might as well just stomp my phone into the ground." Also I remind myself how hard it is for me to get back on track and I ask myself "is it really worth that caramel apple? or whatever food you are wanting to over indulge in"

Also what helps me is I will watch videos on youtube of people who have lost weight. I see people who have set goals about how they want to look at Christmas or New Years or whatever. I think about what I would like to look like at those Holidays and that really keeps me going. I want to be able to look cute in my outfit during New Years, not wondering if everyone is secretly thinking things like "wow is she really wearing that?" I want to feel confident by then!

Also when I have run out of calories and feel like I want something more I do things like brush my teeth or put in a teeth whitener. Then that way I wont eat a ton of sweets or junk food ( maybe this only works for me idk?)