What to eat before working out? And how early?

Options
I normally go to the gym first thing in the am. But I am leaving in about 30 min to workout...so what should I eat? PB, nuts, or maybe a cheese stick? How soon before I go do I have to eat? Thanks!

Replies

• beckusjane
    beckusjane Posts: 112
    Options
    Food wise Im not sure. Just wanted to remind you that you need to drink water about 30 minutes before you work out:)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have something with carbs - like OJ.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, nothing. I wake up early and work out before the rest of the house wakes up.

Today I didn't work out until 11a, I had my normal protein shake breakfast and raw almonds. When I was done it was lunch time and I had my protein shake with peanut butter for extra protein.
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat half a banana only if my stomach is grumbling. Otherwise I go on with my workout on only water because I work out at 520-530 am and there's no time to let the food digest
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything, i have to workout on an empty stomach. But i don't workout for long either like 30-45 mins.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i always have a banana before a long run. It seems to be fine even if i eat it just before, whereas some food makes me feel sick if i eat befrore a worout
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    thanks. i just had a handful of mixed nuts. and now i'm drinking my whey protein shake:) i hate working out in the middle/end of day. now i have to go take another shower....lol.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I like eating a container of Yoplait fat free yogurt mixed with either a cup or 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean :D

Edit - and I typically have this about an hour before I'm going to work out.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If I am short on time and working out in the morning (such as my early morning runs I sometimes do on weekends), then I'll have a Clif bar and a banana. Wash it down with plenty of water, go to the bathroom, and take my shower. If I have more time, I like to have oats.