Slim fast milkshakes

I started slim fast 4 days ago and keep farting because of it. Has anyone else had this?? Lost 2lbs already though!!

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I don't remember farting, but I do remember it being lousy for appetite control and satiety.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Sounds miserable. Why not ditch the shakes and just eat normal food at a calorie deficit instead?
  • I don't remember farting either, but I also don't remember it being very good at suppressing my appetite . I would drink one whole drink, then BAM 1 1/2-2 hours later I was starving again.

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    I don't remember farting, but I do remember it being lousy for appetite control and satiety.

This. When ephedra was legal I lost quite a bit of weight with meal replacement shakes. But as soon as that was gone, forget about it, I was ravenous!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Filing this under *TMI*
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I started slim fast 4 days ago and keep farting because of it. Has anyone else had this?? Lost 2lbs already though!!

Does the list of ingredients have chicory root or inulin? Ugh - can't stand that form of fiber.

SlimFast is super high in sugar. These shakes left me hungry in a short amount of time. Plus I didn't learn anything by replacing meals.

Logging actual food takes more effort....but you learn so much about portion control.
  • Siobhanekent
    Siobhanekent Posts: 9 Member
    Im getting married in 3 months so trying to lose as much as possible while still being able to function! Lol i agree with the being hungry 1 to 2 hrs later!!!
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Are you drinking the ones high in protein? Sometimes that will do it to you.
  • Siobhanekent
    Also i have lost 3 st this year by logging in mfp but i plateaud x
  • Siobhanekent
    hi135 wrote: »
    I love love love my shakes. I tried this one years ago I don't remember it making me fart :)
    Are you drinking the ones that come in a bottle already made?
    im using the tesco ultra slim alternative x

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Drinking my meals would make me want to eat more. Maybe you could ditch the shakes and have huge veggie plates instead.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    hi135 wrote: »
    I love love love my shakes. I tried this one years ago I don't remember it making me fart :)
    Are you drinking the ones that come in a bottle already made?
    im using the tesco ultra slim alternative x

Inulin is high up the ingredients list, a known side effect of which is flatulence.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I've tried slimfast - but not as a diet plan! Tasty but nothing special! I certainly couldn't use them as my meals, I love food too much! If you are having success with it and aren't feeling horribly deprived of solids, then by all means continue. But know that you are probably eating at exactly the same calorie deficit with slimfast as you would be with eating actual real life food! Doing it the 'shake' way doesnt equal quicker results :)

Good luck with it though
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Better than the dreaded sharts imma right
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I liked SlimFasts back in the day because they were tasty and good to grab when you're in a hurry. Here's the thing though - they're not great as a diet. Aside from the hunger, they're just not very effective.

What you do lose with SlimFast will be a lot of water weight and some fiberous material (like you're starting to experience). Most of that will be gained back when you begin eating again.

Very similar effects to juicing, come to think of it - just more chocolaty.

The deficit advice of the Slimfast plan isn't bad. But you can do that with real food in a system that's sustainable for a long-term loss.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I liked SlimFasts back in the day because they were tasty and good to grab when you're in a hurry. Here's the thing though - they're not great as a diet. Aside from the hunger, they're just not very effective.

What you do lose with SlimFast will be a lot of water weight and some fiberous material (like you're starting to experience). Most of that will be gained back when you begin eating again.

Very similar effects to juicing, come to think of it - just more chocolaty.

The deficit advice of the Slimfast plan isn't bad. But you can do that with real food in a system that's sustainable for a long-term loss.

Perfect answer!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    i made my own smoothie this morning with ingredients i had on hand, pineapple, raspberries, orange juice, even adding 1/2 cup of ice cream to make it smooth. it was only 300 calories, and kept me very satisfied until lunch. personally i would stop the slim fast, and make your own shakes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

Ditch it and eat real food at a calorie deficit. You will lose weight.

By the way, you will only lose weight on Slimfast if you eat at a calorie deficit, and you won't lose weight on slim Fast if you eat too much to lose weight.

Yep, just do a calorie defecit and you'll be fine (probably less gassy too). :)
  • julescu
    julescu Posts: 3 Member
    Slim fast messed with my stomach. I use Vi-Shape protein shakes. I lost 10 lbs and am aiming for 5 more.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Sounds miserable. Why not ditch the shakes and just eat normal food at a calorie deficit instead?
    Good question. Eating real foods at a deficit definitely works.