meal prep ideas

Options
I've just started prepping meals; protein, vegetables, complex carbohydrate combos. I'd love more ideas. What are some of your favorites?

Replies

• Deadlifter87
    Deadlifter87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Steamed yams... Yum
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I collect meal ideas/recipes for a 2 week span and spend a couple hours cooking them on the weekend.. and I'm done. Its really helpful as DH and I recently moved and the commute is further away. I love being able to walk in the door and throw whatever on the stove or in the oven. It's wonderful as I spend all day on my feet.
  • winddancinash
    winddancinash Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work nights, so when I prep I'm prepping to take to work and have to have something that will heat up in a microwave.

My normal container has the following:
    -a ground protein, usually lean turkey or chicken
    -a carb of some sort, like brown rice or whatnot
    -I steam frozen veggies and then toss them in
    -if i need more protein for my daily goal, I'll scramble a couple of fresh eggs and toss them in too

It actually comes out pretty good. Sometimes I toss some hot sauce on it if I need a little extra flavor.
  • julescu
    julescu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm not a big fan of chicken so I've been doing ground turkey and egg whites for protein.
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube. There are a ton of meal preppers on there with various diets, macro goals, or training programs. It's a great resource.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I usually pick 3 or 4 different meal combos to cook and prep at one time, helps to give me more variety. FitMenCook has some great ideas - this is pretty much the tactic I use http://fitmencook.com/epic-bodybuilding-meal-prep-gran-prep-de-comidas/
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    crock pot anything!! I make soups, pastas, casseroles, you name it and it is ready when I get home from work.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love my grilled fajitas (homemade) with peppers, onions, and either skirt steak (yum!) or chicken if the steak isn't on sale with some taco or fajita seasoning and extra onion and garlic powders. The tortilla (only one) is your carb, put some salsa and greek yogurt (0% fat) instead of sour cream, and you've got yourself a meal! I do this at least once a week. :smiley:
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I keep my current favorite carbs soba noodles,barley,oat meal and grits
    my favs protien tuna,boneless chicken thigh,turkey bacon,eggs
    dairy Kefir makes excellent overnight oatmeal add 1 tbsp ground walnuts
    fruits bluebarries
    trail mix with nuts
    beans of any kind
    bought a case of small and med wide mouth canning jars
    portion out servings to grab all week
    got an assortment of oils walnut,peanut, dark and light sesame and an assortment of vinegar and hit sauces
    my favorite new thing is to grocery shop on Sunday afternoon when Meijer's marks down fruits and veg, they often have cut and prepped thing highly discounted. Stuff that needs used quickly is portioned and but in freezer fo soups or smoothies
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just buy whatever seasonal ingredients that you can afford.

The left panel of this site will help you to identify in season produce: http://www.specialtyproduce.com/

The bottom of each page will show an ingredient description with recipes.