Quit smoking - Who did it without putting on wieght?!

Options
I'm sure I've asked this before a long while ago

Background: Broke big toe April 1st - by May 15th I went from 135 lbs - 148 lbs - cuz I couldn't put any pressure on my left foot, all I did was lift weights.

Figured, what the hell, I'll quit smoking now too since my biggest fear was putting on weight! can't put on much more now can I (normally weight 120 - 125 lbs on my 5"2 frame)

I am back with my trainer twice a week, taking spinning once a week, hiking on saturdays and running mondays and tuesdays (10 hours a week of exersise)

In three weeks, I've lost 6 lbs already! woop! But I'm always hungry! I'm sure it's cuz I'm working out so much! Not that I quit smoking

The quitting is SO HARD! I haven''t cheated or slipped once! I'm VERY proud of myself, my firends can't believe I did it before bikini season, but it's easier to quit today than it is tomorrow!

share your quitting stories!

Pack a day smoker for 16 years (I'm only 28 years young) quit Stats:

Your Quit Date is: 5/16/2011 5:30:00 PM
Time Smoke-Free: 20 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 47 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 354
Lifetime Saved: 2 days, 16 hours
Money Saved: $116.02

Replies

• Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    pack a day smokers from 16-37years old. quite 4-2-10 gained a lot of weight,,, nov 2010 up to 218 lbs. today 177 lbs.... still slip up especially if i have a beer, but i also started using the electric cigs for that time, that way i get the taste i'm looking for with out all the bad stuff. that's a once a month kinda thing not a weekly thing.
    but cut yourself some slack your doing great.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I smoked for 13 years and stopped cold turkey with no problems.

I decided I hated the way my hands smelled and just stopped just like that.

My husband and friends smoke but it honestly doesn't affect me to be around it. All I ever have to imagine is me all cozy in bed trying to sleep and then catching a whiff of my stinky hands.

I didn't gain weight and my cardio became easier and easier to do.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    replying so i can read all the responses when I get home (hubby smokes)
  • Joannaweber
    Options
    Im 28, qick smoking a year ago smoked half a pack a day. quit cold turky. Locst 25 pounds and breathing!!! The onlly way to quit and keep it off I've learned is this website, counting calories, then you have an idea of where your at. Oh and excersize and alot alot of water!! Good job!! I think its important to also have a support group!!
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    my hubby wants me to quit smoking. but ill admit i really have no desire to. i told him id quit when he gets home from deployment in august. when i havent had a cigarette tho i get the munchies, not cuz im hungry tho. i have heard that part of the addiction is craving something in her hand, and the hand to mouth motion. so it makes sence that food would curb that.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    No crazy story, nothing that pushed me to do it....One day, after 12-13 years (I stopped for a year and then went right back) , I said I am done. Cold turkey! And yes, I am 28. I have no desire to go back to smoking.....it was just something I picked up when I was a child and never really understood why.

And I didn't gain a pound.
  • MQ75
    MQ75 Posts: 61
    Options
    Post removed at user's request.
  • MQ75
    MQ75 Posts: 61
    Options
    Removed at user's request.
  • krista1325
    Options
    I quit smoking a year ago this last May. I used a prescribed drug called Welbutrin that helps get rid of cravings as well as helps with depression and anxiety. But I only used that for a couple of months.

Quiting smoking is one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do aside from no longer drinking soda which I did a few months before I quit smoking, and now losing weight. I still am tempted from time to time.

How I got passed it without eating as a substitute was by thinking about the cons of smoking and overeating. The health issues alone make me scared to continue to treat my body poorly.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Smoked for 6 years, quit in November, started eating right and exercising around 2 weeks after (I had a really bad cold at the time)

I didn't gain at all, the mental habits are hard to adjust to (for me any way), like having a smoke after a meal...mmm!! lol

But it's 100% doable and you should be proud because it's not easy!

The stats bit looks fun *grabs calculator*

Quit 02/11/2010 (11/02/2010 <--- US version ;))
    Time Smoke Free: 212 days...not sure the exact time I quit so I'll leave the hours out lol
    NOT smoked 2968 :noway: omg!!!
    Lifetime saved: don't know the calculation for that one :grumble:
    Money Saved: £845.88 ($1383.56)

Thanks for that!!! Jesus!! Really put's it in perspective, would love to know the lifetime saved bit btw

Ben.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 17, quit when I got pregnant with my first son at 26 until he was born, smoked until I got pregnant with my second son at 33, quit until he was born (found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks with both babies). Then I smoked continuously until I was 40. I set a date and quit cold turkey. I stopped drinking alcohol for the first 3 weeks because if you drink, you want to smoke. I didn't gain any weight because I was very mindful of that because I had read that so many people have that problem. That was 4 years ago, and I have absolutely no desire to go back, even when I drink. Oh, my husband quite 2 years ago.
  • CJG85
    CJG85 Posts: 9
    Options
    Didn't put on weight the first time thanks to very ridgid meal plans. I used chimpax. Hear of people quitting just like that, but I know what works for me and I recommend chimpax. One problem, hit a major stress point in my life, I was so distressed that I started smoking again and stopped eating. Lost a lot of weight through stopping eating. When the shock and stress subsided and I started eating again I very quickly out on weight, became heavier than my original weight and am finding it hard to get back down to that, let alone the weight I was when I didn't eat for a few months. Don't want to quit until I've lost weight and have control over my diet, but all my effort to loose it are failing even with 14 hours of excersise a week and a 1200 calorie count. I now fear quitting and i don't know what is going on with my body is it the last effects of major stress?
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 15 years.

I tried the patch... FAIL!

I tried the gum... FAIL!

I tried hypnosis... FAIL!

I tried the lozenge... FAIL!

I tried cold turkey... FAIL!

I tried Chantix... SUCCESS!!! Have not smoked since, did not gain any weight.

I have to be honest... Chantix works because it does not contain any nicotine at all. It coats your brain's receptors with a substance that stimulates your brain similarly to nicotine. This tricks your mind into thinking you just smoked. Over time you develop a bad taste in your mouth for cigarettes (you can continue to smoke while taking it)... even the smell is horrible. If you continue to smoke, the cigarettes will have NO effect as the receptors in your brain have been blocked.

This was the best experience I have ever had trying to quit smoking. It worked so well, that I only had to take it for 5 weeks as opposed to the recommended 12.

Good Luck! :)
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you ALL for your posts! Didn't think there would be SO much support on here for quitting smoking :) yay for us!

I am using Champix - this is round 2 for me ... Round 1 was working, but I stopped taking it cuz it made me sick everyday ...

But I'm taking the 5 mintues of sickness everymorning for not smoking ... sometimes its harder than others, at work it's really hard ...

The Stats Gadget I get off : http://bc.quitnet.com

You put in your quit date, and it works out your life saved and $ saved ... :) I look at it everyday to keep me motivated

I've had a few stressful incidents (Almost getting fired, having my boss SCREAM at me over the phone - I was so stressed I felt like puking) but I didn't smoke! I figure

There's going to be stress if I smoke or don't smoke

I love the way my hair smells now :)
  • kdmart
    kdmart Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello all,
    so glad to find this thread. I quit smoking cold turkey 7 weeks ago, and began freaking out about my health. I'm about to turn 21 and just quit a 6 year pack a day habit. i'm 5-2 and 113 pounds. i actually lost about 7 or 8 pounds after quitting because i've been so worried about how much i've smoked. Do you guys think i'm just overeacting or should i go to a doctor? i chained a lot and have been stressed and haven't been enjoying life like i should without ciggs! I haven't had any cravings or anything and never want to go back but would love some feedback....thank you and congrats to all you fellow quitters!