very meaty question

Options
I am a very picky eater. One of my favorite things to eat is red meat. (Gosh I love me some hamburger meat). But I know it is not healthy. I like Chicken (boneless only) but I get burnt out on it real easy. Im not a big pork fan, (tastes to much like chicken to me). I like canned tuna but NOT actual cooked fish. I like pasta but also know that can be "dangerous" easily! Any recommendations on how I can be healthier meat wise and not eat chicken every day?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with red meat? And there are different cuts so it's not like you have to eat ground beef every day. Don't like fish but like canned tuna? Fine, eat the canned tuna. Pasta is fine too, but needs to be weighed on a food scale and portioned to fit your day.

You can also try ground turkey, lamb, or...any meat you want.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I use hamburger meat all the time - I just buy 93% lean. Also, ground turkey is good substitute for ground beef in almost any recipe.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    96/4 ground beef, flank steak, top sirloin. These are your friends. These, canned tuna, and chicken breast are PLENTY of lean protein options with which to get started.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    why? it's not unhealthy. Full of creatine and saturated fat. Keep eating red meat - don't listen to the fear mongering.
  • ginnykallay
    ginnykallay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes yes! Agree with all above. Great protein. Note that I take napkins and squeeze a goodly amt of grease from my burgers - even the most lean.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you over consume water, that is bad for you too ... so make sure to find other options ...

Eat in moderation, and stick to the leaner cuts if that suits your mentality more.

Me .. I eat it if it doesn't eat me 1st, but not to excess.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Chicken can be prepared in over 1000 different ways. Surely there have to be ten or twelve ways that you like, so there wouldn't be as much burnout. Try different things with your chicken - roast it, bake it, cook it in stock, fry, add herbs and spices. Make tacos. Etc, etc.

A little lean, red meat now and again is okay for most people.

I have found that whole grain pastas are much less dangerous for me. With white pasta, I'd eat some and then crave more. The cravings went on all day long until I slept. Not so with the whole grain stuff. I'm going to start making my own pasta and see how that goes because there is only one whole wheat pasta in the stores that I like...and I don't love it, just like it. Making my own worked wonderfully for bread, so I have my fingers crossed on pasta. :)

I prefer canned tuna to tuna steaks, too. :)

There are loads of other sources for protein, too. Dairy is excellent. Eggs. Soybeans/edamame - if you haven't tried it, try it! You don't have to get all your protein from meat. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with pasta - just weigh out a single serving before you cook it, so you're not cooking up too much and then overeating it. As far as meat, if you like red meat, just eat it; do the same thing as with pasta, and eat it in moderation. Some days eat red meat, some days eat chicken or canned tuna, if that's what you like. There are enough lean cuts of red meat, and enough ways to cook all of these things that you don't have to worry about variety.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Pork does not taste like chicken.

Take one pork loin roast. Shove some garlic cloves and a few onion slices inside. Maybe a few rosemary sprigs. Salt and pepper the outside. I place my roast on top of some flat onion ring slices to keep it off the bottom of the roasting pan; a wire rack could be used too.

Roast slowly (300 - 325 degrees); don't overcook (as many do) - 160 degrees internal temperature is fine. Pull from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes or longer. Slice and enjoy. Couldn't be simpler and a) is boneless and b) lean and c) doesn't taste like chicken at all.

If I'm in a real hurry I'll sprinkle my own seasoned salt all over the outside and shove some onion inside, into the pan and go. Still delicious.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Beans...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Beans...

Nuts...
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Beans...

Nuts...

legit...
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat in over 7 years, but the one thing I miss sometimes is sausage. Like god**amn those things are good. My partner is always brining home different sausage varieties too which sound so good. Turkey apple sausage? Yum.

Also, depending on your childhood experience with it (wink) meat loaf can be super easy to make and there are a bunch of more "refined" recipes out there. You could use ground turkey instead of beef if you wanted and throw in so many cool veggie combos.